Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2020, 01:06 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times

Advertisements

So I started the year in mode: nesting. I have lived in the same apartment for a over decade. It was time to switch up the decor and upgrade some of the "starter" stuff. I also had a goal of cooking at home more - for various reasons I have been slacking off on this. And it always helps me stay motivated by making sure I have excellent supplies. I am terrible at making do.

So I have swapped out some pans, falling for the new direct to consumer things with varying success.
But one thing I didn't have was a proper Dutch Oven. I had purchased a light weight cast iron braiser several years ago. This pan is ok. But super light. And I got lazy and started making the items that I previously made low and slow into my Instant Pot. Time for an upgrade. I wanted some kitchen jewelry. And I wanted to know if a heavier pot produced a better meal.

So I went down the rabbit hole of Dutch Ovens, and was debating whether to save or splurge. I started with the intention to save, and to get the Lodge. But the other part of me wanted to not "settle." Then I found a few choices here and there. And I ended up finding a deal on a 4 QT Staub. And that was going to be the dutch oven.

And I started thinking of all the time I have now, and how I an make beans on the stove, make bolognese, make curries on the stove again. All sorts of ideas. Then I started debating the size. Did I need a bigger one? Or was it going to be too much?

So finally after all he debate, I decided bigger was better - 5.5 QTs was the way to go, because Stab had a great little steamer attachment. Sold. And I found a decent deal.

So I got my dutch oven, and decided to break it in with a chicken curry. And it was actually better. I had just made the same dish a few weeks ago in my lightweight braiser - the first time on the stove in a couple of years. And that also turned out really good. I had a tiny amount of scorching, so I decided this go around would be in the oven - and I had a meeting so I wasn't going to be able to watch it closely.

I seared my meat - sort of. I was running behind so I definitely skimped on the searing time. I picked up my fond with my onions. I deglazed. I get the simmer going, closed the pot, and threw it in the oven to braise. My braise was almost too effective! I may have reduced a little too far. The chicken was moist, tender, and all of the things that you want it to be. All the fat/connective tissue disappeared into the sauce.

Then I decided to make some braised kale. It took a little longer than I thought it would, but turned out great. And tonight I made a Thai curry with fish. The fish poached int he broth - turned out absolutely perfect - flaky and moist. This was a dish I hadn't made in a long time, but if I recall, my fish did not have the same perfect texture in my stainless saucepan.

I've got some great meals planned for the weekend to keep testing it out. But who knew that I should have grabbed a dutch oven ages ago - things really do come out better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 01:35 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Glad for you! My mother and her mother cooked with one, so I've used one all my life. But I'm old and I know Dutch ovens aren't used as much by younger people.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Glad for you! My mother and her mother cooked with one, so I've used one all my life. But I'm old and I know Dutch ovens aren't used as much by younger people.
My mom definitely used either a glass roasting pan, pot on the stove, or electric skillet for the types of things you might put in a Dutch oven. She also rarely browned or seared stuff first. That was a “new” technique I picked up. My mom notorious lot broiled or boiled meet before braising it for many dishes.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:54 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Can't tell from your post what weight you chose but I would always recommend cast iron. None other.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Can't tell from your post what weight you chose but I would always recommend cast iron. None other.
I ended up with a Staub in 5.5qt size - that was enameled cast iron. To replace the other one I got from World Market - but it was a lightweight pan. Technically enameled cast iron, but more in line with stainless steel weight. The weight was concentrated in the base, the walls were thinner, and the lid was glass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink