Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 03:03 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

13 Things Your Waiter Won't Tell You
Some of them I agree with, some of them are just common sense.
This guy displays a bit of hypocrisy, though. On one hand, he asks people to abide by the golden rule (#5), while on the other, he admits to ripping off customers (#11).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 04:23 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
13 Things Your Waiter Won't Tell You
Some of them I agree with, some of them are just common sense.
This guy displays a bit of hypocrisy, though. On one hand, he asks people to abide by the golden rule (#5), while on the other, he admits to ripping off customers (#11).

and i thought the list would include, foods that get dropped, re-creating entree's that didnt sell the night before,,,,or cooking dead crustaceans. or 95% of chef's are alcoholics, and practice thier habit while cooking

Old 07-15-2008, 05:09 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
I thought the same, Maineman, but it was still interesting. Too bad the people who should learn from this won't see themselves in it.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:27 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
I've worked in restaurants. 35 years ago I worked as a busboy, and I was clearing off a table where the party had finished eating, but had stepped to the bathroom before picking up their belongings to leave. I knocked over a full glass of milk into a woman's open purse, and panicked. Then I got it figured out. I removed the glass from the purse, closed the purse, and then found a spot in the kitchen to hide until I was sure they had left.
Never heard a thing about it after that, but if you wondering how the milk got in your purse in 1973...that was me.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:54 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,774 times
A great informative read and insight into what goes on in the kitchens behind closed doors, is Anthony Bourdain's book .. Kitchen Confidential.

He also mentions .. never eat out on Mondays, order the hollandaise or the specials, and before sitting down to order, take a quick look at the washrooms. If they're dirty, walk out.

Advises the best nights to eat out are .. Tues .. new chef starting the week, all refreshed and new grub ordered in for the new wk. Also Wed is good. And Thursday. Again, fresh produce, seafood and meat brought in for the coming wknd. You've got your top chef's in on Thursday with all sorts of fresh everything, and not quite being the wknd yet, they are re-freshed with enthusiasm and time to get creative.While you'll get good, fresh food on Fridays and Saturdays, it's going to take all they have for the chef's to keep up with the crowds.Sunday you have your lowest guy on the totem pole on while the top guys are having their days off. He'll try and take all the left-overs and present them nicely on a sunday buffet.The guy on Monday's job is to squeeze one little bit of last minute margins out of the seafood or cuts of meat before they can't be used one more day, voila! .. la special de jour! Throw a little exotic herbs and splashes of this and that, and some fancy name to it and sounds like a yummy dish to try.This book is so hilarious, and you'll be surprised at the characters who are wowing you with their culinary skills. A band of their own, that's for sure!

Old 07-15-2008, 01:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
lol Ira

Love Bourdain. He also says never buy fish on a Monday, which makes sense.
His A Cook's Tour is good too, but Kitchen Confidential was the best.

The Stained Apron has some fun restaurant horror stories, and which celebrities are good or lousy tippers.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:34 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I knocked over a full glass of milk into a woman's open purse, and panicked. Then I got it figured out. I removed the glass from the purse, closed the purse, and then found a spot in the kitchen to hide until I was sure they had left.
Never heard a thing about it after that, but if you wondering how the milk got in your purse in 1973...that was me.
Hahaha! Quick thinking - makes a great story 35 years later!

Old 07-15-2008, 07:39 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
A great informative read and insight into what goes on in the kitchens behind closed doors, is Anthony Bourdain's book .. Kitchen Confidential.
That is one gem of a book - packed with fascinating information. Since reading this book I have never again eaten swordfish. Bourdain said they contain long worms, and someone in the kitchen has to remove them before cooking. My DD worked in a seafood restaurant and confirmed that one of the kitchen workers would have to take a tweezer-like tool to remove the worm segments.

If you ever order swordfish, and notice a little circular hole in the meat - that's where the worm was.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:02 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira500 View Post
i've worked in restaurants. 35 years ago i worked as a busboy, and i was clearing off a table where the party had finished eating, but had stepped to the bathroom before picking up their belongings to leave. I knocked over a full glass of milk into a woman's open purse, and panicked. Then i got it figured out. I removed the glass from the purse, closed the purse, and then found a spot in the kitchen to hide until i was sure they had left.
i can't stop laughing~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a smart kid you were!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:39 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,309,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
That is one gem of a book - packed with fascinating information. Since reading this book I have never again eaten swordfish. Bourdain said they contain long worms, and someone in the kitchen has to remove them before cooking. My DD worked in a seafood restaurant and confirmed that one of the kitchen workers would have to take a tweezer-like tool to remove the worm segments.

If you ever order swordfish, and notice a little circular hole in the meat - that's where the worm was.

Should I or shouldn't I? .. burst your bubble Adream??

Actually, worms are in most fish, especially the slower moving bottom feeders, from halibut right up to the quick-swimming salmon.
Grossed me out when I first found out about it from a friend who worked in the fish dept and found worms daily.
But hey! It's all protein .. right?!?
The worst was eating a piece of smoked black cod one time and found a huge one rolled up inside. Now I tend not to look!

Ira!! Your story had me chuckling too! Missed it somehow, when first reading this thread. Hilarious!! .. and very quick thinking!
That poor women to this day probably hasn't any idea what happened! Probably thought some kid did it .. not you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink