Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:01 AM

8 posts, read 56,495 times

Advertisements

There are several things on the market now that will help you "bridge the gap" between what we do eat and what we should eat, but there is NO replacement for eating the real thing. But...there are alot of us...especially chilldren that do not get the recommended amount, which is 9-13 servings, a day to help prevent degenerative disease. So...I have comfort in knowing that at least my family is getting it thru Juice Plus...17 fruits and veggies in capsule , gummies or chewables

Last edited by LadyRobyn; 05-23-2009 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: NO advertising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
Last week my husband and I found the equivalent of Juice Plus at Sam's Club. It costs wayyyyy less. We got a 2 month supply for about $15.00. We've been on it for a week and I really do think I feel better, have more energy, etc. He isn't sure yet! But for $15 it's worth a try and it sure can't hurt you.

Look for their research!

Old 05-08-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Have you ever head of Monavie? It is GREAT stuff.

Here is a link to a article on it.

http://features.us.reuters.com/wellbeing/news/007A7B50-6ADF-11DC-BB9A-F02B6ED5.html (broken link)
But you dont get the veggies in MonaVie...only fruit. YOu need a variety of colors

Old 05-08-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
There are NO supplements that will give you all the nutrients from F&V that you need. The best you can do in that area is help fill in some of what you are missing. There are several options available for fruit and VEGETABLE nutrients, at reasonable price. Your doctor is so right, the best time to start making aggressive efforts towards good nutrition, is when you are young and healthy, so that you can stay that way for as long as possible. The price of not doing so is very high. The hype of many of the supplement pushers, actually I am one, is very hard to wade thru. The biggest step you can make is getting your mind made up to actually do what you can to help yourself. If you choose supplements to help, then look into the product and make your selection based on the actual evidence that the specific product delivers what it says. Not evidence from the people that sell it, but from independant research. If you look for the supporting studies, you will wind up with relatively few options. But as I said earlier, there is NO supplement that can even come close to the actual fruits and veggies.
You are right, and the truth is, there are many of us that do not eat or will not eat the recommended 9-13 servings everyday. So...using a whole food supplement ...backed by science...helps bridge that gap...even on the days that you try your best. You cant OD on fruits and veggies. MORE is BETTER!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
. I really thought maybe there was a multivitamin out there that could give me all the nutrients and vitamins I can get from veggies.

The reason I can't get myself to eat them is because for the last couple of years I've really let myself go in terms of my diet...I'll only eat things I consider good-tasting and that means fried foods and lots (and I mean lots!) of sugary foods. I've gotten so used to it that I can't eat something as bland and tasteless as vegetables. It's like when you stop drinking water for a loong time, when you finally drink it you realize how bad tasting it is. I guess I have to get myself used to them. I do like potatoes, but I'll eat them mostly fried and greasy haha. Hmmm...I also like broccoli when it's cooked, but my mom cooks very unhealthy and never cooks any and I'm kinda lazy to cook myself, I like foods that are quick and tasty! Fruits are ok, but I don't crave them when I crave something sweet...they don't satisfy my sweet tooth.
Don't use 'vitamins' to take care of this...stick with whole food

Old 05-09-2009, 09:58 AM

830 posts, read 1,064,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamx View Post
Well...the title says it all. I hate vegetables and hardly eat them (unless they're in my hamburger ). I've tried to include them in my diet before but couldn't keep at it for long. My doctor asked me if I ate any fruits or vegetables...I said no...she scolded me and said by the time I'm 30 I'll look like I'm 40! Is that true?? . Even so, I can't get myself to eat them. Are there any good substitute supplements that will give me all the nutritional benefits found in fruits and vegetables?
Grow up and eat your vegetables! Not doing so is plain stupid. It will save your life.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:49 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,430,439 times
I'm sorry but I looooooove vegetables. That sucks that you dont like them because they are so yummy once you acquire a taste for them and your body needs them.

I do know that taking so called Veggie pills are worthless and you will pee out your money.

I suggest starting out with bland tasting veggies and using butter salt or cheese or any kind of sauce that will help you acquire a taste for it. You know like how you do with children.

My husband doesn't like them either or didn't because since we've been together I've introduced them into his diet and he eats things he never thought he would. Just make yourself your a big girl or guy and you can do this. Its really not a big deal. You just need to find what kind you like and how you like them served. I hope you try because it will be so much better for you. Good luck!

Old 05-10-2009, 10:02 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlechika52 View Post
I am so glad I have found this website by asking the question " Is there a subsitute for eating vegetebles?" I have hated vegetables since preschool! I don't understand why. My parents say that I loved them as a baby and that my mother made all homemade baby food for me. I am a really picky eater and don't like much but meat and rice. I am born and raised in hawaii and my father is native and has diabetes and is overweight due to all the rice and meat plate lunches everyone eats over here. I love to cook and I do cook with vegetebles for my fiance, family and friends all the time but have to have someone else taste test for me. I am 27 and about to get married and really want to change my eating habits before having children...which I want soon! I don't want my kids to have my same eating habits. Is this type of thing genetic...is it because of my taste pallet? I saw this show on Oprah one time about supertasters and undertasters does anyone know more about this?
You should read CONFESSIONS OF A KAMIKAZEE COWBOY by Dirk Benedict (who was in Battlestar Galactica). It is his story about getting prostate cancer in his 30s having eaten mainly meat and potatoes up until that time and how he cured his cancer with A MACROBIOTIC diet. You might want to start forcing yourself to eat at least two spoonfuls of vegetables with each meal until you develop a taste for them and start to like them.

You not only don't get the fiber from eating a vegetable supplement from the health food store but you also don't get the life force that fresh veggies have. One thing you could do to get the life force but not the fiber would be to get a Juicer and put the vegetables through the juicer and make vegetable juice. You coud start which Carrot/Apple juice which is very drinkable.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
Last week my husband and I found the equivalent of Juice Plus at Sam's Club. It costs wayyyyy less. We got a 2 month supply for about $15.00. We've been on it for a week and I really do think I feel better, have more energy, etc. He isn't sure yet! But for $15 it's worth a try and it sure can't hurt you.
What is the name of this product? Remember to look for your research in any product. How is it made? Where do the fruits and veggies come from? Organic? PLUS...remember...you still need to eat your fruits and veggies.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:27 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,964,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
My husband doesn't like them either or didn't because since we've been together I've introduced them into his diet and he eats things he never thought he would. Just make yourself your a big girl or guy and you can do this. Its really not a big deal. You just need to find what kind you like and how you like them served. I hope you try because it will be so much better for you. Good luck!
Same here..my husband used to only eat a few certain types. But he didn't want to hurt my feelings when I cooked for him, so he just ate them anyway. Now he actually requests onions and peppers (raw!), and his favorite snack is pickled jalapenos or pepperoncinis stuffed with provolone and proscuitto. You really just have to make yourself acquire a taste. There are very few things that the body won't become accustomed to eating.

Generally it's more a problem with a bad cook than the veggies themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink