Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 08:33 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,764,805 times

Advertisements

I made a great turkey soup today....I made it in the larger oval crock pot....just one large turkey wing, 4 potatoes, 3 carrots, 1 onion, 1/2 bunch parsley. It turned out very tasty...I was a little concerned that one wing would do it, but it certainly did. I let it cook all day on high. I'm guessing the whole pot cost at most $4.00 to make. Add a bag of noodles or rice...maybe $1.00 more.

Any other great soup recipes??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 07:43 AM

27,339 posts, read 27,391,872 times
When I first started out as a single parent every last bit of leftovers were worth saving. A bit of imagination, some cream of mushroom soup, made for a filling meal many times. The kids loved it!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:01 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
The turkey soup sounds good. I never thought to make it except when I have a whole leftover turkey. Good suggestion!
The first thing I think of about soup is that if you ever see short ribs (if they're boneless, even better) in your store, buy them and hoard them for stew. I don't see them often, but they are the most flavorful beef to make stew from.
Brown the beef, add a little wine, water, a can of tomatoes or stock (whatever you have on hand) with a few little onions and some chopped celery, thyme, salt and pepper, and simmer 3 hours til tender. Add chunks of carrots and potatoes for the last hour. Thicken broth with a bit of flour and water if you wish, or plop in some dumplings at the end.
Now that it's getting cold here, I'm feeling a little stewish.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:52 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,847,106 times
There's something so comforting in the smells of slow, long cooked soup on the stove. We love chicken/dumpling, beef barley/veg, minestrone, any bean and ham soup.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:26 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,333,911 times
Oh, yes, I've been dropping heavy hints about soup ever since we turned the page on the calendar to September; there's nothing as wonderful as a big pot of slow-simmered soup, and in the cooler months, we generally feast on soup at least once or twice a week.

Some of our favorites are beef-barley (described in another thread a while back), pozole (pork & hominy, flavored with chili powder and cumin), chicken with vegetables, several varieties of lentil, and any kind of legume we can put in a pot. We also save up bones whenever we make a roast and freeze them for the next pot of soup; the gelatin that cooks out of bones adds a depth and complexity to a soup broth that just cannot be duplicated.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:13 PM

878 posts, read 2,736,985 times
I love PA....ow much water did you put in the crockpot for your turkey soup...I want to try it.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:12 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,645,771 times
i made chicken soup this week. I used the crock pot also. I used legs and thighs, chicken broth, onion, celery, carrots shreds, and a can of diced tomatoes. season as you like. I always cook the noodles and keep them separate, that way, they don't get too mushy!

another soup we like is pasta fagiole. I brown some ground meat(beef or turkey), use 2 cans of hunts spaghetti sauce(zesty and chunky vegetable), 3 or 4 cans of beef broth, onion, shredded carrots, celery, red kidney beans, and sometimes a can of green beans. simmer in the crock pot on low, cook noodles separately. season the soup with garlic etc. as much or little as you like.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:24 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
There's something so comforting in the smells of slow, long cooked soup on the stove. We love chicken/dumpling, beef barley/veg, minestrone, any bean and ham soup.
A little tip, when one doesn't have a hambone a quarter cup of Bacos and a little oil make a quick and tasty substitute. Use the chips (which are larger than the bits). I use them in bean soups and also red beans and rice.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:05 PM

6,807 posts, read 14,026,504 times
My favorite fall soup is Potato soup with breakfast sausage. It's close and I can taste it now.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:52 AM

142 posts, read 565,832 times
My DH LOVES soup. So I make it pretty often. Here's 5 soup recipes for you that I make that he really loves.

TORTILLA SOUP

½ cup Chopped Onion
4 teaspoons Chopped Cilantro
49.5 ounces Chicken Broth
½ teaspoon Minced Garlic
1 tablespoon Margerine
1 small can Tomato Sauce
½ package Taco Seasoning
1 can Mexican Style Stewed Tomatoes Chopped
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
4 Boneless Chicken Breasts Cubed
Salt & Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients into crockpot and cook on low all day, so when you get home from work it will be done.

Garnish with Shredded Cheese, Sour Cream, Sliced Green Onions, and/or Tortilla Chip Strips.

NOTE: You can also use whole chicken breasts. One hour before serving, remove breasts and shread, return to crockpot for one hour and then serve. **I also like to add corn in the soup, since my DH loves corn.

I have made this over the stove as well.....

Country-Crock Chicken Noodle Soup

- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp basile
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 3 TB dry parsley flakes
- 1 pkg. (10 oz) frozen peas (I personally like to use corn instead)
- 1 2 1/2 - 3 lbs. whole fryer (I use chicken parts...breasts, thighs, whatever)
- 4 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 cup noodles

Place all ingredients in CP, except noodles, in order listed. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hrs. or high 4-6 hrs. One hour before serving, remove chicken and cool slightly. Remove meat (and skin) from bones and return meat to CP. Add noodles. Turn to high. Cover and cook 1 hr.

This is a delicious soup...a perfect winter-y comfort food. However, there were times I made it 'unspicy' so it could be kid-friendly, by using sweet sausage, not hot. I know this will taste fantastic w/ hot sausage as well (DH and I LOVE hot!)

Spicy Pasta, Bean & Sausage Soup

~2 15- to 16-ounce cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
~2 tablespoons olive oil
~1 pound Italian hot sausages, casings removed (I used 5 sweet sausages)
~4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
~2 large garlic cloves, chopped
~1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
~1/4 cup tomato paste
~5 cups canned low-salt chicken broth (I used 6 cups and the next day I added more since the pasta soaks up alot of the broth)
~8 ounces (about 2 1/3 cups) orecchiette (little ear-shaped pasta) or other small pasta (I usually use ditalini...great choice! and it's easier to find. )
~1 1/2 cups grated Romano cheese

Strain liquid from canned beans into blender. Add 1 cup beans and puree until smooth. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add sausages, rosemary, garlic, and crushed red pepper. Sauté until sausages are cooked through, breaking up with fork (personally, I like to use a potato masher), about 8 minutes. Mix in tomato paste. Add bean puree, remaining beans, broth, and pasta. Simmer until pasta is tender and mixture is thick, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Mix in 1/4 cup cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Serve, passing remaining 1 1/4 cups cheese.

Makes 4 to 6 (main-course) servings.

Cheesy Potato Chowder
Yields 7 (1 cup) servings

~Vegetable cooking spray
~1/2 c. sliced green onions
~1/2 c. chopped sweet red pepper
~1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
~3 Tb. cornstarch
~4 Cups water, divided
~3 3/4 cups peeled & diced potato
~2 tsp. chicken flavored bouillon granules
~1/4 tsp. salt
~1/8 tsp. pepper
~1 1/2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
~1 c. shredded reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
~2 Tb. minced fresh parsley

1. Coat a Dutch oven with cooking spray. Place over medium-high heat until hot. Add green onions, red pepper, jalapeno pepper & saute until tender.

2. Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup water. Stir until smooth. Stir in remaining 3 3/4 cup water. Add cornstarch mixture to Dutch oven. Stir in potato and next 3 ingrediants. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 10 minutes stirring constantly. Add corn and cook 15 additional minutes stirring occasionally. Add cheese & stir until cheese melts.

3. Ladle into bowls and top with parsley. Eat!

Italian Wedding Soup

~ 1/2 lb. extra-lean ground beef
~ 1 egg lighly beaten
~ 2 TB dry bread crumbs
~ 1 TB grated Parmesan cheese
~ 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta (I used acini de pepe pasta, which IMO would be much better)
~ 1/2 tsp dried basil
~ 1/2 tsp. onion powder
~ 6 cups chicken broth
~ 2 cups thinly sliced escarole (using spinach would be just as fine too. I used the fresh bagged spinach)
~ 1/3 cup finely chopped carrot

1. In medium bowl, combine meat, egg, bread crumbs, cheese, basil and onion powder; shape into 3/4 inch balls (I also added some garlic powder to the meatballs too).

2. In large saucepan, heat broth to boiling; stir in escarole, orzo pasta, chopped carrot and meatballs. Return to boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook at slow boil for 10 min., or until pasta is al dente. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.

Makes 4 servings.

Notes:

** I used about 2 more cups chicken stock. The pasta really absorbes the liquid. The original recipe called for 1 cup pasta...I read the reviews and most of them agreed that 1/2 cup was more than enough. I agree.

** I didn't use extra lean beef, so I quickly fried up the meatballs first just to help get some of the fat out of it.

** I added a bit more bread crumbs (I tripled the recipe and I used 2 more TBs of it)

** I cooked the pasta separately. I was worried that it would overcook. I added it at the very end.

This is a delicious soup that I would surely make again and again. I'm thinking that maybe I"ll add some seasonings to the broth. Very delicious Don't forget to add Parmesan cheese to the soup after it's in bowls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink