Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 04:23 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times

Advertisements

I guess I don't see it as horrible or disgusting, but I do see a way for someone to follow these guys doing the test and have the testers try a homemade hamburger. "Give a man a whopper, feed him for a day. Teach a man how to make a homemade burger, and you feed him for a lifetime."

Wish someone would have Gordon Ramsay try one, but I guess after one bite all you'd probably hear is "beeeeep, beep, beep beep, beeeeeeeeeeep!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 06:57 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,952 times
I don't see what the fuss is about either. So what, it is an advertising campaign? It's not like they are going to put any BKs in those places.

Would you have a problem if the French came over here with a taste test on one of their awesome 680 calorie pastries? Every country has their food that is bad for you, it's just that for whatever reason Americans can't seem to consume things in moderation.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:21 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,571 times
The Western diet is a deadly one and "we" know it. Jenn02674, I dont agree that brining a baguette to America is in the same category.

This is why Americans are thought of as pompus and ignorant by others' around the world.

Western Diet Linked to Heart, Health Risks - Heart Disease and Other Cardiovascular Conditions on MedicineNet.com (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=86574 - broken link)

Western Diet Boosts Global Heart Attack Risk 30% - US News and World Report

Old 12-02-2008, 08:23 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,654 times
I don't get what's offensive about it. And to be honest, the Whopper isn't as bad nutritionally as some other burgers out there. Yeah, it's 680 calories and high in fat and sodium. But in a 2500 calorie a day diet there's probably room for a Whopper here and there.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
It's not like they are going to put any BKs in those places.
I wouldn't be so sure. Market growth is difficult here due to saturation; the emerging markets are untapped growth potential. McDonald's is exploding in China.

Quote:
Would you have a problem if the French came over here with a taste test on one of their awesome 680 calorie pastries?
French pastries are handmade desserts, using the best ingredients, and they don't need multi-million dollar ad campaigns. Also - the French aren't as fat as we are. A Whopper is just garbage.

Quote:
Every country has their food that is bad for you, it's just that for whatever reason Americans can't seem to consume things in moderation.
It could be that people in other countries just have more will power than us. Or it could be something else.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:50 AM

714 posts, read 2,307,166 times
Wow. Bad.

I don't know that I would trust the opinions of "Whopper virgins" any more than anyone else's opinion. Perhaps less, even. I don't want someone who has never drunk wine to rate my wines. Why would I want someone whose palate is not attuned to what a burger should taste like to tell me which one is better?

It's doubtful many of these people eat cooked slabs of cow meat (and good for them) so how can they be trusted to tell me which one is the best?

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. And over the top expensive to produce the ad campaign, I imagine.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:31 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Wish someone would have Gordon Ramsay try one, but I guess after one bite all you'd probably hear is "beeeeep, beep, beep beep, beeeeeeeeeeep!"
With joy or fury?

Old 12-02-2008, 11:31 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
With joy or fury?
Fury.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:39 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
What exactly was the point of this? Isn't is arrogant to think that just because another culture hasn't tried American hamburgers that with one bite they will become converts?

Last edited by jhlcomp; 12-02-2008 at 12:03 PM..

Old 12-02-2008, 12:46 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,952 times
You are all missing my point entirely. ALL cultures have food that is bad for you. You just can't eat that food every day, that is where Americans fail. We can just as easily eat healthy, whole foods as the french or anyone else but we consume way too much just as we do with everything else. I agree that we have a major obesity problem in the US but that isn't BKs fault nor does it have anything to do with this ad campaign.

I totally agree a Whopper is not good for you, but a whopper a few times a year is no worse for you than that 680 calorie loaded with sugar pastry a few times a year, and I'm not talking about a baguette.

If you don't like the campain, you are totally entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to my opinion. Don't eat at BK. I just don't think the ad is all that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink