Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 08:20 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,131,251 times

Advertisements

Which cuisines are ingredient-intensive, and which seem more focused on the how the ingredients are combined, and not necessarily themselves per se?

It seems to me that freshness of ingredients takes a back seat in Indian and Ethiopian cooking. I have never been to the countries before, so I don't know if it's the case there, but there are so many spices in both cuisines that the freshness of the vegetables and meats are rendered less important than other cuisines. I've never seen a packaged Ethiopian meal before, but I regularly have vacuum-sealed commercial Indian meals from such food companies as Gits and Deep (along with basmati rice), and some of them almost taste like meals from an Indian restaurant (or at least buffet).

On the other hand, top-quality ingredients seem to be very important to Japanese, and also a critical part of upscale American food, or even mid-range fare like steakhouses, where the food is presented in a less altered form.

Do you think my assessments are accurate? What cuisines would you add to the ingredient- and composition-intensive lists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 10:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Korean cuisine focuses on freshness, definitely.

Greek food also seems to focus on freshness, though not to the extent that Japanese and Korean does.

French - presentation.

Lebanese - freshness.

Next!

Old 09-29-2012, 12:57 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,007,381 times
Thai foods where I go only use very fresh vegies/meat etc.

Sushi has to be very fresh.

SEAFOOD FOR SURE: INCLUDING FISH, SHELLFISH.

HW

Old 09-30-2012, 12:17 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,202,785 times
I'd assume some countries developed a food system that relied on a lot more preservation of foods due to a limited growing season, at least before the modern era of global food trade and transportation.

Someone mentioned Korean food as focusing on freshness but many of the staples of Korean cuisine are pickled or fermented. When they bring out all those little plates/bowls that accompany the main dish I think the majority are something prepared in a manner that indicates preservation, hell one could probably make the claim that (with a nod to bulgogi) kimchee is their national dish.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I'd assume some countries developed a food system that relied on a lot more preservation of foods due to a limited growing season, at least before the modern era of global food trade and transportation.

Someone mentioned Korean food as focusing on freshness but many of the staples of Korean cuisine are pickled or fermented. When they bring out all those little plates/bowls that accompany the main dish I think the majority are something prepared in a manner that indicates preservation, hell one could probably make the claim that (with a nod to bulgogi) kimchee is their national dish.
I mentioned Korean food. I don't know how familiar you are with it. But this is what I know:

I have a Korean brother, a Korean grandson, and a Korean daughter in law (and none of them are in the same nuclear family - LOL!). Random. But anyway, my Korean daughter in law and my son live in Korea. They enjoy cooking traditional Korean dishes and so our family has learned a lot about that cuisine from them. In fact, I go to Ko Mart (a large Korean market) pretty often to stock up on odd foods I can't get in the regular market (though most of the meats and veggies required can be bought locally - I'm talking more about spices, baking or noodle supplies, snacks and beverages).

Yes, kimchee is a staple, and they do have a lot of pickled foods and spices, mostly used as garnishes. But they are HUGE into seafood - the fresher the better - and sushi. They also use a lot of fresh produce in their dishes. For instance, they wrap sauteed meats in these minty type leaves that have a very short shelf life. They saute a lot of various fresh veggies. They use a lot of peppers (fresh as well as dried or as a paste), fresh seaweeds, bean sprouts, and fresh herbs. Here are some typical Korean "meal scenes:"

"Korean food - it's more than kimchee!"

Old 09-30-2012, 05:35 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times

Kathryn,

What is this dish?

I have seen it before as to what it is.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Kathryn,

What is this dish?

I have seen it before as to what it is.
It is commonly called something that sounds like "bimbambop!" (actually bibimbap) And I am for real! It's really good.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:21 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It is commonly called something that sounds like "bimbambop!" (actually bibimbap) And I am for real! It's really good.
Kathyrn,

Thanks for the information. It looks really great. I will have to try it when I see it later this year.

The problem that I have with many of the Korean restaurants in the Chicagoland area (the ones that I have been to) is that the staff seems less willing or able to explain what a particular menu item is.

Fortunately, the local H-Mart (Koren) staff is great and has been very helpful in helping me choose the right vegetables and kimchi.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
One of my fave dishes. Especially in the stone bowl! Where you get the crispy rice!

There is a grocery store in my area that gets a lunch bowl from a local Korean place that specializes in bimbibap. The best take out meal ever!

Old 10-01-2012, 12:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
I believe most Asian foods stress freshness more than actual presentation. Yes, OP, American foods are inclined to consentrate on freshness as well, especially the upper end eateries. Probably the two ethnic foods that I don't associate with truely fresh would be Mexican for sure and tue Spanish foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink