Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 11:48 PM

294 posts, read 372,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You didn't get it properly seasoned. You need to coat it thinly with Crisco, never vegetable oil, inside and out, and then place it in your grill outside, upside down. Turn grill on 375, leave for 30 min, until smoking stops. Let the pot cool, and then repeat 3 or 4 times.
Inside and out? Why outside?

I may pick up some Crisco tomorrow and give this a go. Will it smoke too much to try this in an inside oven?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 02:00 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post

Any tips on what to do with my new pan in terms of initial maintenance? I am not talented in the kitchen and know very little. I am hoping to do a lot more cooking. So any ideas on good things to cook up in this skillet are good too!
Do a search on Cast Iron Seasoning for lots of help on the maintenance. There is nothing better than burgers, cubed steaks, and fried chicken done in cast iron. I have an old line 4" deep skillet with lid and a cast iron dutch oven for bean soup. Don't cook chili in cast iron or other acidic foods with tomatoes. Cornbread is another cast iron skillet delight. I don't have one but I bet Amazon would have a cooking with cast iron cook book. One tip on acquiring more cast iron is avoid Walmart. Flea markets and estate sales for the old time made in the USA ware is a better buy. Don't mind the rust. Take them to a shop that can sand blast down to clean metal then season like they were new. Seasoning instructions are on another thread here on CD or can be Googled. Cleaning is not much more than wiping with an oily dish towel. It takes some getting used to with the heat so as not to sick stuff but it can be done. You can't put food on and take a nap like you can with a crock pot but the taste of the food is so much better. In Life Time Fitness class at college the prof pointed out that cast iron cooking was good especially for the ladies because it gave them the extra iron they need. Enjoy and remember Rome was not built in a day and getting the hang of cast iron cooking will not all be learned in a week but the time spent learning will be well worth it. I too threw out the Teflon and aluminum pots and pans. Supposedly aluminum is almost like cooking in lead.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:16 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
I have had a couple cast iron pieces for 15 years or so and we started adding a few skillets. Except for the old Dutch over, they were per seasoned and I used crisco to add to it or season at first.

I noticed that the pans we cook bacon in are nicely seasoned, but the others just tend to wear down, especially if you cook something with a lot of moisture or tomatoes.

I found this online and have redone most of my pieces (except the two large skillets that have been used to cook bacon) and they look like they have some thick painted on factor coating they are so slick. Flaxseed oil at 500 is the ticket. Or just use them to cook a lot of bacon. or do this then cook a lot of bacon.
Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning: A Science-Based How-To

I cleaned using hot water, coarse steel wool and kosher salt before the seasoning. I then took out my orbital sander and hit the bottom to smooth out but that not essential. Doing at least 4 coats is essential.

This is 5 coats and I lightly sanded with 800 grit automotive paper between 3 and 4. (yes I am crazy).
Nice water beading action.

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 09-07-2013 at 08:14 AM..

Old 09-07-2013, 09:55 AM

13 posts, read 13,212 times
Quote:
I picked up a 10.25" Lodge at Wal-Mart. I am moving cross country and chucked all my crappy teflon non-stick stuff. I am going to purchase a set of stainless steel pots and pans after I relocate. But I have always heard good things about cast-iron.

Any tips on what to do with my new pan in terms of initial maintenance? I am not talented in the kitchen and know very little. I am hoping to do a lot more cooking. So any ideas on good things to cook up in this skillet are good too!

Even though it is "pre-seasoned," should I still make some effort to season it up an extra bit with Crisco or something?
I don't know if Mall-Wart sells first-quality cast irons, but I bought mine at a hardware store. It was pre-seasoned and check this out: I use soap on it, SOAK it, and it's all good! Never rusts.

I am so p*ssed off that I ever used Teflon. What a snow job. Cast iron cooks way more evenly and never scratches. It's just heavy as hell, LOL.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:57 AM

13 posts, read 13,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
She just said it much more succinctly than I did!
Bull hockey.

And my condolences to all those tortured animals...

Old 09-07-2013, 11:33 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Inside and out? Why outside?

I may pick up some Crisco tomorrow and give this a go. Will it smoke too much to try this in an inside oven?
Because the seasoning also protects it from rusting. It will smoke a LOT. That's why I said use the grill, outside. Been there done that...never again will I season in the oven!

Old 09-07-2013, 11:35 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by child of jupiter View Post
Bull hockey.

Weird.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:37 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Thanks for the video. Lodge should not call them pre-seasoned and act as if they are ready for use if they are not!

If Lodge says it is pre seasoned then it IS pre seasoned and you should be able to use it with no issues.
I use ONLY Lodge and have for years and have never had an issue with any of their products.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:09 PM

303 posts, read 540,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If Lodge says it is pre seasoned then it IS pre seasoned and you should be able to use it with no issues.
I use ONLY Lodge and have for years and have never had an issue with any of their products.
I have a pre-seasoned Lodge cast iron Dutch oven. Never have had any problems with it, works like a charm. I'd get one of their skillets but I have a hand-me-down cast iron from my grandmother. Enjoy your cast iron! I really does steak and cornbread great and, if you ever get a Dutch oven, it can really roast a chicken.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:45 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,162,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by child of jupiter View Post
Bull hockey.

What?

As an aside, check eBay for cast iron skillets, filtering by highest price first. Currently the most expensive one is a Griswold for $2,495.

Cast Iron Collectibles | eBay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink