Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:21 PM

259 posts, read 704,001 times

Advertisements

I am making yogurt and have read about this method (freezing yogurt into icecube trays, popping them out into bags and then grabbing a couple when you want to start a new batch). Has anyone tried this? I'm not sure how well this would work and am curious. I typically make 2 qts of yogurt at a time with about 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh yogurt (stonyfield, dannon etc). Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 08:45 PM

well, just for the record I will answer my own question in case anyone else out there is wondering! I gave it a shot and it does indeed work. Saves a lot $ to be able to do it this way, I'm thrilled it worked I used 1 icecube for 2 cups yogurt and it came out perfectly (dethawed the icecube in the fridge beforehand).

Old 01-30-2009, 09:37 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,744 times
I am glad you replied to yourself! I live out in the boonies and I make homemade yogurt every week. Your method would save me a lot of hassle.
I wonder how long the little buggers will survive in the freezer?

Old 01-31-2009, 07:24 AM

Good point! I just googled it to see for myself and it says that its about 3 months roughly, and that it will keep much better if in a ziplock bag and the colder the better. I did pop mine out of the tray and seal it in a freezer bag and push the air out, so I hope that will help it. I think I will get through all of them in 3 months. My 32 oz dannon and stonyfield produced about 2 trays each of icecubes (roughly 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon per icecube). If you're making big batches thats rougly 4 icecubes for 2 quarts. I also read that (and understandably makes sense) yogurt frozen will reactivate in the stomach as well (unlike commercial frozen yogurt) so its a good frozen treat too- I think I'll make some popsickles this summer with my homemade yogurt as well!
I will try and remember to update this in 3 or so months on how effective the cubes are etc. for anyone wondering.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:42 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Interesting and great idea, though I probably woudn't use a tray as that woudl be too much for me.

It's always a problem for me, making yogurt because I end up having to buy a huge container to get plain for starter and then what do i need to make the yogurt for when I have a huge container? kwim?

I would probably just freeze a little in a small container or two, as I don't make yogurt that often anymore since my little one is 4 (i used to make it for her) though there is nothing like fresh yogurt!

Btw, how did you use the dannon? Aren't they all flavored? Did you just pull some plain off the top of those fruit on the bottom packages?

And if you update us in three months that would be great!

mommytotwo

Old 01-31-2009, 09:22 PM

mommytotwo-
for using 2 trays I get between about 20-28 icecubes - which really isn't a whole lot when to make about 2 quarts a week, I need to use 4 cubes - that means in 7 weeks I will be done using all of it (which is only 2 months- within a good time frame before freezer burn becomes an issue according to my research this morning). I don't know how much you prefer to make but that seems to be not too bad. And thats using 64 oz of yogurt - I bought BOTH the dannon plain 32 oz and the stonyfield plain 32 oz. So that I have a choice whatever I feel like Whew that was a lot of math! Hope that helps!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:48 AM

quick side note I thought I might add- there is no frozen taste if anyone was wondering. Yogurt tastes the same.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:01 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,161 times
Why don't you just use a bit of the fresh yogurt you made to start your new batch? I've always considered yogurt self-perpetuating....confused...

Old 02-02-2009, 06:56 AM

Yes I will be doing this too. This method tends to get more bland and runny over time so I am just looking for viable cheap ways to refresh the batch with more potent starter. And ways to be smart on how to store extra yogurt that doesn't get eaten. Technically you could freeze some of your own batch too while it is still on the stronger side too. I may do this and then mix in a cube or two of the others. This will probably stretch it beyond the time it can last in the freezer but I guess we shall see! I also did it just out of curiousity

Old 02-02-2009, 10:20 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,161 times
Oh..I didn't realize there was a quality issue after awhile. I wonder why that is? I wonder if refrigeration has anything to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink