Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:07 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times

Advertisements

Miami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:57 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
1. Paris
2. Rome
3. Toronto
4. Tokyo
5. NYC
6. SFO
7. Aix en Provence
8. Chicago
9. Budapest
10. My kitchen <G>

Old 04-24-2009, 04:58 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,693,161 times
San Sebastian hands down

Old 04-29-2009, 01:02 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
My favorites (not by rank):

USA:
New Orleans
San Francisco
New York City
Washington, DC
Seattle
Charleston, SC

Abroad:
Madrid
Athens
Florence, Italy
Paris

Old 01-04-2010, 02:23 PM

32 posts, read 79,243 times
1. Paris
2. Tokyo
3. Madrid
4. NYC
5. London
6. San Francisco
7. Barcelona
8. Sydney
9. Florence
10. Stockholm

Old 01-04-2010, 04:44 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,191,662 times
I am surprised Los Angeles has not made many lists...I would not know though as I very rarely venture the 50+ miles to LA

Old 01-04-2010, 05:06 PM

515 posts, read 716,811 times
New Orleans
New Orleans
New Orleans
New Orleans
New Orleans
New Orleans
New Orleans
New Orleans
New Orleans
New Orleans

And did I mention New Orleans?

Old 01-04-2010, 06:13 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Is this from personal experience or reputation alone?

I would have to say Dallas/Ft. Worth is one of the restaurant capitals of America, anyway.

And of course, that's two cities
DFW has some great places to eat, but it isn't even the best city in Texas for food. That would be Houston.

You need to get out more.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:04 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
From personal experience :

Lyon
Paris
Toulouse
London ( if you have large sums of money, some of the restaurants here really are fantastic)
San Francisco
Napa Valley ( I know, not a city)
Edinburgh
Vancouver
Quebec City
Boston
NYC
Buenos Aires
Florence ( Tuscany in general)
Rome
Barcelona ( and area)
Prague ( if you have oodles of money)
Lima ( for the Ceviche restaurants)
Montreal

For street food :
Marrakech
Essaouira
Cairo
Palermo
Mexico City
Istanbul
Ho Chi Minh
Phnom Penh

And I would love to travel around Japan to all their top restaurants.
I think we have a winner............although............

Every major city has excellent world class restaurants. The problem is, that the 5 stars are so very expensive that although the food is magnificent, you don't get to eat at them often (unless of course, you inherited a fortune)......and I was not that fortunate. I learned years ago that good food is fundamentally simple, fresh, and well prepared. things I see on TV like carrot foam or candied scallops are pretty and I am sure take a lot of talent and imagination to prepare, but a fresh home garden carrot really doesn't need much to be exquisite except a rinse from the garden hose. I cannot imagine anything better than a scallop sauteed in butter seasoned with some herbs and served with a fresh spring mix salad and brown rice.

My second issue with so called world class restaurants is the portion size. A couple of bites and the dish is gone. 10 courses, 10 forks and spoons, 10 different wines..........give me a break. One of my most memorable meal was in Nova Scotia when I had a large lobster, some modest chardonnay, some dipping butter and lemon, on the beach shared with a woman I loved.

This brings me to what creates a memorable meal (in the good sense.....I've had disgusting foods that certainly were memorable). It must be well prepared. It must reflect the culture it is part of. It must be of sufficient quantity that you don't go away thinking about grabbing something on the way home......nor do you want a meal that is so overwhelming that you groan as you relax your belt......I'm not a big fan of doggie bags for people.

When I was younger, I took a trip from Rome to Trieste. Consistently I had incredible meals in little mom and pop cafe's in small villages along the road. A glass of the local wine, some hand made pasta with a bit of sauce, some bread......locally pressed olive oil.......magnificent. Even breakfasts of fresh rolls, butter, local honey, poached eggs or omelets made with a local cheese was exquisite.

I've experienced similar excellence in Japan, in France, in Holland. in Germany, in Denmark, in Turkey, in Lebanon (although I doubt Lebanon is that way any more) in Israel. In the USA I have to think twice when I go into a cafe....except in certain instances........ Same in Hong Kong, or Singapore, or Bangkok or villages in Mexico. In Europe and Japan you are pretty well assured of a wonderful meal in most any cafe you stop in. At least that is my experience.......but then it has been a while since I traveled extensively so I could be wrong............

Old 01-04-2010, 07:44 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,848 times
I'll stick to the lower 48.

1. NYC
2. SF (Bay Area to Include Napa Valley)
3. Chicago
4. New Orleans
5. Las Vegas
6. Los Angeles
7. Seattle
8. Boston
9. Philadelphia
10. Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink