Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:58 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times

Advertisements

My Grandfather used to say all the time
"son it's simply mind over matter and since you have no mind it simply does not matter"

So, I make Lima bean soup.. Basicly a navy bean soup with ham hocks and leftover ham to flavor using large white lima beans.
Very few people in my family would eat it.. then I started Just calling it bean soup with ham and now everyone asks for it.
So I take it everyone thought of the little green beans served in succotash with creamed corn and thought ewww automaticly..

Anyone have a similar story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 11:17 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Mountain oysters. Call them steak nuggets and people love them.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Everything is delicious in a market stall in Vietnam. You don't want to know what is in there.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:21 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,427 times
One year I made fruitcake at Christmastime, and offered it to some guests. They all declined and wouldn't even try it. They were all convinced it was going to be some repulsive, dry, tasteless blob.

My boyfriend who had been in the next room overhearing the interaction walked in and offered them the same thing--calling it rum cake, instead--pretending it was completely different from the one I had offered.

Suddenly everyone eagerly agreed to a slice and loved it!

Amazing...the power of commonly held beliefs.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:50 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Mountain oysters. Call them steak nuggets and people love them.
That's evil!

But funny too

I know what them, ahem .... "oysters" .... really are!

So now I have to be suspicious of "nuggets" in your country too

Old 11-21-2010, 06:12 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
That's evil!

But funny too

I know what them, ahem .... "oysters" .... really are!

So now I have to be suspicious of "nuggets" in your country too
I only did it to my nieces' yrs ago. They turn their noses up way too often and they were be'n kinda snotty. We had fried fish and fried "oysters", I told them they could just eat the steak fingers. They liked them and wanted me to do them again later that summer. Had to tell them what it was, not mad but thought it was gross. Amazing difference between city families and farm families, in our case anyway.

If you've never had them, Vichel, you should try them. Alot better than you think, but then again....mind over matter.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:38 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Absolutely mind over matter. Most people will go "eeeeeeeeew" withotu even trying something because they have preconceptions. I have eaten all manners of bizarre foods in my time, some sounding pretty darn unappealing but I have been mostly pleasantly surprised.

People are just narrow minded, food is not the only field this applies to. Yes you can disguise it and call it different names , give it a more seductive tone but quite frankly I refuse to play that game.

Someone who doesn't want what I am serving can eat somewhere else. Life is too short to pander to those of us who refuse to live a little and try things before they comment.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:07 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Butter beans. They are not commonly eaten where I grew up--I think they are more of a Southern or midwestern staple. I made cowboy beans (baked BBQ beans with ground meat) and told my mother about them. She thought they sounded delicious and asked for the recipe. She asked me what butter beans were (the recipe includes a mixture of several beans), and I told her they are simply large lima beans. She was immediately grossed out and won't make them now.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:55 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
My family will not eat spinach, period. So to sneak some into their diet, I buy frozen chopped spinach, and add a bit to soups etc. I call it chopped parsley when questioned. My dh gives me dirty looks, knowing I'm likely lying, but everyone still eats it and likes it.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:37 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,777,706 times
We used to have family reunions when the kids were young and my sister, SIL, cousin and I would take turns cooking dinner. I made chili from venison but didn't tell them. They thought it was beef and everyone LOVED it. My nieces were eating their second bowl when I told everyone. They stopped eating and wouldn't touch another bite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink