Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you eat this?
Yes 4 21.05%
No 15 78.95%
Maybe 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2007, 05:02 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't even try to eat deep-fried testicles.

News, ELDERON, Wis. - Around here, it may be tough to pass up anything deep-fried.

Wisconsinites have deep-fried cheese curds, candy bars and Twinkies. They now have deep-fried livestock testicles, too.

More than 300 people paid $5 for all-you-can-eat goat, lamb and bull testicles Saturday at the ninth annual Testicle Festival at Mama's Place Bar and Grill in Elderon in central Wisconsin.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070513/ap_on_fe_st/odd_deep_fried_what;_ylt=AjIqkoKhSHwM510WkgdJUJ5I2 ocA (broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 07:57 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,252,569 times
Aren't those called mountain oysters?

Old 05-14-2007, 02:03 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,442 times
Yes, think you're right Foma.

I come from a culture where we grew up eating cold, jellied pig's feet; ham hocks (pig's ankles) with sauerkraut; chicken hearts & stomachs fried with onions & butter; blood pudding (yep, what it sounds like); chicken feet soup; oxtail soup; sardine heads on black bread. My mother would eat more ethnic things we kids wouldn't touch like cold beef tongue; fried beef liver; fried brains; eel. There's so much more but I can't remember just now.

I stopped eating many of these things when I got a bit older & found out what I was eating. My mom's tactics were to tell us the names in her language, so we really didn't know what we were eating. It was given to us, it was normal in our household since childhood, tasted good when we didn't know the origins of our dinner & we ate it.

We were very poor, had 7 children & my father was a hunter when I was young. He usually hunted deer, but my mom said that we've eaten things that we don't want to know about. She said she cooked whatever he brought home. I don't even want to hear those stories. When I was younger I frantically asked her how she could do that to us. Her reply was that it tasted like chicken & we ate it. Yikes!

So, mountain oysters? Today? Not a chance. But, I eat fish & don't eat red meat or poultry more than a few times/yr. But, if given them since a child, you may quite enjoy them, just like we enjoyed out blood pudding with mustard on rye bread.

For those hearty souls, bon appetite... VV

Old 05-14-2007, 02:12 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,252,569 times
I would suspect that pig's feet would be hard not to detect - even if your mom used her native tongue for the dish name!!!!!!

You've totally got me beat. The only thing I can add to that is pig's ear. Crunchy!

Old 05-14-2007, 04:04 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
I had Ram's testicles in Iceland, a local delicacy and it was vile but Icelanders genuinely seem to love it so I guess it's only a cultural thing. I felt it would have been rude and childish not to try though ! They were no way near as bad as rotten shark's meat though ( put shark meat in the ground for months until it starts to decompose , dig out and "enjoy" !!! or in my case excuse yourself to your host and retch miserably). This is also a delicacy in Iceland..... I have tried things which make most people green thinking about it around the world but some were actually really nice such as grubs and grass-hoppers ( not unlike king prawns). I'm sure a lot of people around the world would find some of the stuff we eat repugnant too. It's just what you're used to and the associations we have with them. I would for example never eat Dog ( unless actually starving) as my cultural associations would make it akin to cannibalism .

Old 05-14-2007, 04:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
In Colorado they indeed are called Rocky Mountain Oysters, and I've had 'em, and they actually taste a bit like real oysters.

Old 05-14-2007, 09:43 AM

793 posts, read 3,122,159 times
There's more than just Rocky Mt Oysters. Ever been to the "Testicle Festival" they hold every year in Montana? Thankfully I have not.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:56 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
And byron (I think) Illinois has the turkey testicle festival every year. Never been there...

Old 05-14-2007, 01:55 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
I would suspect that pig's feet would be hard not to detect - even if your mom used her native tongue for the dish name!!!!!!

You've totally got me beat. The only thing I can add to that is pig's ear. Crunchy!
Hahaha. So right! Guess as kids, we were used to eating meat off the bone like a turkey wing or pork chop, so our normal "What is it?" was responed to with "Just eat it. It's good." I remember reaching an age, about 13 or so, when I suddenly began recognizing food as animal & deciding I didn't want to eat "that".

Ah, pig's ear, yes. I guess most of us who came from ethnic homes/foreign parents are from cultures who "waste not, want not". Nothing was ever thrown away in my house, as you can see from my prior post. Today, I respect & see the wisdom in the frugality of my parents. Now, I've become like that myself... well, minus the pig's foot or crunchy pig's ear! LOL

Old 05-14-2007, 02:11 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,392 times
I grew up on the farm and we did our own butchering. There wasn't much we didn't eat. That was farmlife in the mid 50's through the 70's. The only thing I really didn't like was kidneys.

So yep I would eat them. In fact I like them, but the turkey "fries" as they are called around here are the best .... But they are full of cholesterol so they should be eaten in moderation.

In the rural midwest area where I live (in the sticks), they still hold rocky mountain oyster/hog fries parties .... usually called stag parties where the men go and eat these, chilli and beer. There are hundreds of pig confinement farms around here and it is popular....that 's how they get rid of the buckets and buckets of the two little thingys that come from bunches and bunches of piggies grown at these piggy confinement centers. These confinement farms are S M E L L Y.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink