Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:35 PM

479 posts, read 1,555,271 times

Advertisements

We recently bought a freezer, so we have been cooking some things ahead and freezing them. Not real gung ho yet, but getting there. I've cooked hamburger ahead for things like spaghetti and that seems to work really well. I don't mix the sauce with the meat until I'm ready to eat.

However, I tried to freeze some Hamburger Helper (I know, I know) to see what would happen. It came out as basically a big bowl of mush. Maybe I should do the same...cook the meat, freeze it and combine the ingredients when I'm ready to eat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 06:26 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,714,626 times
I don't think I've ever actually eaten Hamburger Helper, are there noodles in it? If so, it's best to keep the noodles separate from the sauce, they get mushy when frozen together. That's why if you buy something like those Bertolli pasta bags the sauce is frozen in little balls separate from the pasta.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:37 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,343,362 times
I'm not good at freezing either, but we have a Food Saver and freeze fish, chicken, and some meats. It works well. Also, we get Perdue chicken at BJs and Costco. Their large packs of chicken (about 12 chicken breasts) are usually divided into packs of 2 and we just put them in the freezer as is. I've never had Hamburger Helper, so I don't know how that would freeze, but you should be able to freeze soups, chili, and spaghetti sauce. Don't freeze noodles and anyway, they only take a few minutes to prepare.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:03 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,162,912 times
I'm betting it's because of the pasta. For me, freezing pasta is hit or miss so usually I don't do it. Matter of fact, lasagna is the only pasta I've had consistent success with when it comes to freezing.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:04 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,714,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Matter of fact, lasagna is the only pasta I've had consistent success with when it comes to freezing.
That's true, I've never had issues with lasagna. I remember on one of the cooking reality shows (Next Food Network Star, or something like that) a few years ago they had a challenge with making a freezable pasta dish. Half of them failed because they froze the pasta and sauce together instead of separately. I also noticed that the Healthy Choice bowls are a lot better than any other of the HC or Lean Cuisine pasta dishes, because the pasta cooks separately and then you add sauce.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:49 AM

479 posts, read 1,555,271 times
So the noodles were the culprit. Thanks. That makes sense now. I did freeze some cooked spaghetti (we have a food saver) in one pouch and the sauce in another, which turned out really good. Thanks again for the tip!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:54 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
I make a huge pot of sauce and freeze in portions big enough for a pot of pasta.

I agree the only really GOOD frozen pasta dish is lasagna.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:03 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,498,398 times
Me too. I freeze sauce in those 4 cup zip-lock containers. It's almost better when I reheat it than it was the first time...

Most really saucy things freeze beautifully. Soups, beef stew, etc.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:03 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I make a huge pot of sauce and freeze in portions big enough for a pot of pasta.

I agree the only really GOOD frozen pasta dish is lasagna.
Leftover lasagna is excellent!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:19 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I'm not good at freezing either, but we have a Food Saver and freeze fish, chicken, and some meats. It works well. Also, we get Perdue chicken at BJs and Costco. Their large packs of chicken (about 12 chicken breasts) are usually divided into packs of 2 and we just put them in the freezer as is.
Frozen poultry is perfect for 'dump recipes'. Come home from the store, put your marinade of choice in the bag with the frozen chicken and reseal. Would suggest you label it, if you have several bags with different marinades. Throw into the freezer. When you want to use it, it marinades while defrosting. Or you can cook the frozen block in a crock pot. If you buy beef or pork fresh, throw it into a bag with marinade (I usually double bag mine) and freeze.

I actually seal my dump chicken 2 pieces to a baggie - perfect for single people. Defrost while you're at work, and then thrown on the grill or in the pan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink