Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:08 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,897,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It's too difficult to pick just one thing!

I do remember the first time we ever made pulled pork. We inherited a friend's smoker and I found a recipe in Bon Apetit magazine that called for a spice rub and a thin, vinegary baste. (I love barbecue.) The meat smoked for several hours, and we kept basting it exactly like the recipe said. The smell was SO good, and when we finally took the meat off the shred with forks, we couldn't help eating it with our fingers as we shredded. It was hot enough to burn our fingers and lips but so tasty we hardly cared.

Served the pork on buns with homemade coleslaw and BBQ sauce. Delish.

Damn, you just made me hungry...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 10:19 AM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Prime Rib & Lobster! Lots of drawn butter. Twice-baked potato and barely-cooked broccoli on the side. All with a nice cabernet. A heavenly meal!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
This thread finds its inspiration in the Food Network's series "The Best Thing I Ever Ate." It features chefs, food critics, and restaurant owners talking about the best thing they ever ate in a certain category. For example, an episode will focus on pizza and another will focus on barbecue. They then reveal the exact restaurant that serves the item so that viewers can try it if they'd like.

I could probably list more, but I want to hear from you first!

Anything off the BBQ...STEAKS..RIBS..BURGERS..FISH..etc....

All of my wifes cookin except one thing...

And (sorry honey) ALL my mothers food, hands down....

Most recently...Sirlion tip roast, covered with spicy brown mustard and wrapped in bacon, served with skillet taters, greens, ho-made bisquits...
mmmmmmhhhhh good!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Prime Rib & Lobster! Lots of drawn butter. Twice-baked potato and barely-cooked broccoli on the side. All with a nice cabernet. A heavenly meal!

OH-YEAHH!!!!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:25 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Last Friday at Manny's Buckhorn in San Antonio, New Mexico, I had one of those food moments. This was the picture of the green chile cheeseburger, just prior to me ingesting it:

Old 01-27-2010, 05:12 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 419gottaminute View Post
Sirlion tip roast, covered with spicy brown mustard and wrapped in bacon
That sounds delicious!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:30 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
I had a hazelnut crusted chicken breast with some sort of cream sauce at Cafe On Clinton in Brooklyn about 20 years ago that I still remember. Don't know what made it so special, but it was sublime. Also, for some reason turkey sandwiches are (were?) a big deal in Peru when I was there in the 80's and they were absolutely delicious. I guess it was because all the ingredients were fresh and the mayonnaise was homemade. There was also a street vendor food that was just sausages and french fries served with lots of different sauces that I still think about. My mouth is watering.

Locally, my mom used to make the best roast with mashed potatoes and gravy on the planet. I tried to make it years ago, but I never got close.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:41 AM

430 posts, read 583,585 times
I just attended a cooking class combined with a wine tasting seminar in Vancouver, Canada. The cooking class was held at a famous cooking venue near Gastown.

The problem was that all the recipes seemed to focus on butter as the prime savory constituent. Now, no-one would prepare all the many entres we saw for just one meal, and I'd say you'd have to call 911 for an ambulance just as you served some of this stuff to your dinner guests!

Nonetheless, each one on it's own was monumentally delicious! Quail with a parmesan/macadamia nut crumble crust and a butter-based savory glaze. Goose pate over prime rib slices, all sauted and briefly broiled for a "finish", with butter of course. I wonder now if this wasn't sponsored by the B.C. Dairyman's Association or Butter Marketing Board!

When Canada drops it's punishing protectionist import taxation against US wines, and lets their wines compete price- and quality-wise with the best from the US, we'll see an evolutionary improvement. Even Gallo's inexpensive but nonetheless drinkable Hearty Burgundy: price in Oregon (US$) for a 1.5l bottle is $9.98. B.C. price (converted to US$) for a 750ml bottle: $12.

Price comparo: Oregon: 66¢/100 ml
B.C.: $1.60 (160¢)/100 ml.

2.5 X as much, for, essentially, a basic table wine. We won't even go into the pricier wines.

Bon Appetite!

Old 01-28-2010, 02:15 PM

497 posts, read 1,176,643 times
Two come to mind....The Chop House in Chicago. I had just recovered from a serious surgery and my best friend and I went to Chicago to celebrate. She treated me to the 1# lobster tail. It was without a doubt the most succulent, sweetest lobster I have ever eaten. No lobster has ever lived up to that.

The other was at Joe's Gizzard City in Potterville, Mi. Guy Fieri featured it on Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives. He created the Triple D Burger. Google it. Deep fried heaven.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:19 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
Anything with bernaise sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink