Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times

Advertisements

Being vegetarian can be a slight struggle at times.
Over the years many foods that I used to use to make things such as pies, have disappeared from the shelves of shops. I am referring to things that would often be used, to take the place of meats. All that seems to be about these days, is Quorn or Textured Vegetable Protein. This is alright if you want to eat something akin to the texture of rubber, it is also almost flavourless, and comes nowhere near to many of the products that were available in the past.

Are there any foods that have become unavailable, ( It doesn’t have to be vegetarian ), that you miss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 08:05 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
There have lots of things over the years that have disappeared, but 3 things come to mind immediately. The first is a particular brand of dried apples that I just loved. There was a recipe of the bag for a homemade, chunky applesauce made with them. Well, they quit making this particular brand, and I've tried to recreate the the recipe with other brand of apples, with no real success. The second, and on a similar note was pineapple sauce, I believe it was made by Delmonte, but I'm not sure. It was similar to applesauce, but much more delicious. I haven't found that in many years. The third, and most recent, is not a food but a beverage. It's Coor's beers non-alcoholic variety. DH has been a loyal drinker since they first introduced it. However, for the past couple of months I've not been able to find it. I finally called our local distributor just last week, and was told it has been discontinued.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:50 AM

41,960 posts, read 75,205,836 times
  • Morningstar Farms veggie corn dogs
  • Pop-Tarts that aren't frosted in flavors other than strawberry.
  • Seven Seas' Viva Italian salad dressing. It wasn't the same after Kraft bought Seven Seas, and then it disappeared.
  • Milk Shake candy bars
  • Funny Face drink mixes (so much tastier than Kool-Aid) -- not that I'd drink them now, but ...
  • Warsaw Falcon dill pickles

Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 AM

138 posts, read 219,564 times
Malto Meal
Clark Bars
And I found some Cracker Jacks. But they dont taste the same.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:44 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesouthernman View Post
Malto Meal
Clark Bars
And I found some Cracker Jacks. But they dont taste the same.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought I saw Malto Meal in the grocery store just the other day.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Malt-O-Meal's definitely still in production.

Probably more than 50% of the time, products I really like get discontinued. I evidently do not share tastes with the bulk of consumers. My S.O. and I joke that my seal of approval on a product is generally a death sentence for said product, so we might as well stock up while it's available. It seems like whatever the least popular variety of something is, that's inevitably the one I end up preferring, and then it disappears.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:08 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,138,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
  • Morningstar Farms veggie corn dogs
  • Pop-Tarts that aren't frosted in flavors other than strawberry.
  • Seven Seas' Viva Italian salad dressing. It wasn't the same after Kraft bought Seven Seas, and then it disappeared.
  • Milk Shake candy bars
  • Funny Face drink mixes (so much tastier than Kool-Aid) -- not that I'd drink them now, but ...
  • Warsaw Falcon dill pickles
I too prefer unfrosted pop-tarts (everyone except my son thinks I'm crazy). I still find blueberry and cherry, although you might have to search several different stores for them.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I hate all frosted Pop-Tarts, and of the nonfrosted variety, I only really like brown sugar and cinnamon ones. I despise fruit-filled toaster pastries.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:37 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
We have Cracker Jacks a-plenty here where I live, but they are in a bag and sooo much better than the old days, when they were always in a box and all stale and stuck together. Now they are always fresh and great. BUT (!)....they don't give you near enough of the peanuts, and the prizes nowadays suck!

Old 02-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,143,707 times
Hydrox cookies.

I always liked them better than Oreeos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink