Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 06:46 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,709,398 times

Advertisements

Jamie's inspired me to do better than I have been. My kids are loving having their lunches packed and are coming home not so hungry. If only I could get my 15 yo to take his lunch.

Not sure how the girls are going to eat all the stuff I packed for lunch today, but they chose it: purple cauliflower, baby carrots, pea pods, ranch dressing, croissant, baked chips, grapes & strawberries, lunch meat and a fruitables to drink.

Friday I made whole grain spaghetti w/ Wegmans all natural sauce, half an orange, grapes, and a granola bar. To drink: fruitables. Jamie Oliver would be proud.

Just wondering if anyone else is getting into the pack your own lunch spirit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 01:36 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
My kids are old school brown baggers.
pb&j's with carrot sticks and orange wedges are the shizznit.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:47 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,943,122 times
That's great you are doing that! Hardly any of the kids at the high school I teach at bring their own lunches. It is all hot lunch or fast food, fast food, fast food (We have an open campus)

I, however, always bring my lunch. Some favorites are: turkey/spinach/cucumber/mayo/mustard/tomato sandwich on whole grain bread, veggies and hummus, salad, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, or oatmeal.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:21 PM

19 posts, read 15,244 times
make sure the bread or peanut butter you give your kids does NOT contain the following ingredients, or other wise you are giving them something as healthy as french fries:
hydrogenated oil (includes partially)
SHortening
Monoglycderides
Diglycderides
TBHQ
interserfied oil

Old 04-19-2010, 03:34 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Peanuts and Salt only. Also no HFC in the preserves. We try to buy only items that have less than five ingredients in them. I'm no health nut by any means but I am sick of all the damn crap in our food and stuff made in China. Except real jade jewelry, my wife loves that expensive green rock.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:42 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
My daughter has been taking her lunch for most of elementary school. Hope she'll keep it up in middle school. She usually gets a sandwich--PB&J, or PB& banana, or cheese; some sort of veggie--cherry tomatoes, broccoli, cole slaw or carrot salad are favorites; fresh fruit; something salty (chips, chex mix, pretzels) and something sweet. It's a lot of food, but they eat a snack mid-morning and she goes to an after school program too and eats whatever she hasn't finished.

It's not the healthiest lunch ever, but it's way better than the school lunches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink