Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 04:29 AM

786 posts, read 4,733,418 times

Advertisements

The Manager told me because the Restaurant was full that day it was to be expected that the food should take an hour to arrive. My argument was that they should expect a full restaurant on a Satuday afternoon and hire more cooks. They need enough staff to cover the amount of seats. They were just trying to save money by not hiring enough staff and could get away with it because there was a shortage of good places to eat in historic Annapolis.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:36 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
The Manager told me because the Restaurant was full that day it was to be expected that the food should take an hour to arrive. My argument was that they should expect a full restaurant on a Satuday afternoon and hire more cooks. They need enough staff to cover the amount of seats. They were just trying to save money by not hiring enough staff and could get away with it because there was a shortage of good places to eat in historic Annapolis.
Wow - sounds like a dream job, doesn't it? Can you imagine cooking in a kitchen like that? I bet Chef Ramsey would seem like Pollyanna compared to what goes on at that place.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:58 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,837 times
I always find the niche places, especially for a breakfast... and go to the proven and true for dinner. I like to cook so I don't really have a problem with service... eating wise though, there is nothing like going out to breakfast after church on a Sunday, I could eat a nice breakfast morning And evening... it is so varied... hint hint... centre cut bacon with eggs over easy (no slime but dippable), mushrooms underneath with cheese over the top and rye toast with butter on the side...

Old 06-13-2007, 08:49 AM

769 posts, read 2,220,612 times
Quote:
There comes a point where adding more cooks hinders the process rather than helping it - there is only so much space. Mayhap that's where the term too many cooks in the kitchen comes from???? It sounds like a prime area for some more restaurants.

Jeremy, I agree that there are vaild reasons why food might take an hour to arrive, but all I need is for my waitperson to say "I'm sorry, it's really busy and I'll get it too you as soon as it's ready". I really think there should be a quick overview of how things sound to the customer - it's totally valid that a 10-person party is monopolizing your time, but to say, "Im taking care of a table of 10" makes the others feel like they don't matter - not necessarily the message the waitperson was wanting to convey. And yes, I've worked in the restaurant industry, so I've had to answer those questions more than once.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:06 AM

Location: Phoenix...until next week, then Maryland...tick tock tick tock
169 posts, read 607,872 times
I have come to be a lot more tolerant in restaurants than I used to be. My BF waited tables for 5+ years (before we met) and has regaled me with tales of being a waiter in different restaurants.

I have worked in the food industry, but at "food court" types of places (& a very well-known coffee shop) so I have a vague concept of how demanding people can be, but it is nothing compared to how people treat servers.

Don't get me wrong, I get a little pissy if my drink sits empty for too long. I don't like being thirsty when I eat. I expect my server to be polite and I expect my food to be at the appropriate temperature when I get it. I also understand that (at least in Phx) servers make something like $2.13 an hour...which no one can live on. That is something important to keep in mind when deciding how much to tip.

Also, the reason I have never worked in a restaurant is because I would eventually go postal (I can say that, I was a postal worker for 7 years...) on some of the a**holes that come into restaurants. People treat their servers like some kind of sub-human & that is just total BS. 1st of all, that job is not easy. I knew that well before I dated one. It is hellaciously hard work. Secondly, this person is handling your food people! Do you really want to treat the person handling your food like crap?

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of rude, crappy servers in the world. Heh heh...My BF & I have had a couple of the rude crappy kind, & while he has taught me to be more patient, he is WAY more harsh than I would be when a server has crossed the line! They may get the minimum tip, but they will certainly be informed (as will their manager) of their trespasses... ...um, but not until after we're done...I don't want spit (or any other "extras") in my dessert, thanks.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:29 AM

125 posts, read 471,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
There comes a point where adding more cooks hinders the process rather than helping it - there is only so much space. Mayhap that's where the term too many cooks in the kitchen comes from???? It sounds like a prime area for some more restaurants.

Jeremy, I agree that there are vaild reasons why food might take an hour to arrive, but all I need is for my waitperson to say "I'm sorry, it's really busy and I'll get it too you as soon as it's ready". I really think there should be a quick overview of how things sound to the customer - it's totally valid that a 10-person party is monopolizing your time, but to say, "Im taking care of a table of 10" makes the others feel like they don't matter - not necessarily the message the waitperson was wanting to convey. And yes, I've worked in the restaurant industry, so I've had to answer those questions more than once.
I completely agree. I also worked as a server and I know communication is the key. Most customers I've met always appreciate a heads up on how fast or slow the kitchen is. They just want to be treated with curtesy and respect. I also know that there are some servers who can't handle multiple tables at busy times. They get weeded with all the chaos. They usually don't last long.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:21 PM

292 posts, read 993,777 times
Quote:
Just because a place is crowded and is in a tourist area, does this give them the right to have slow service, rude staff and poor food?

Don't you usually find restaurants with a captive audience to be poor?
No it does not give them the right. However I don't believe the staff started out thinking they would give slow service, have a rude attitude and serve poor food. These are circumstances that have built up over time or existed only for that moment in time.

Why would you go to a place like that in the first place? Tourist places are for tourists. That is the tourist experience. I'm wondering if there is a non-tourist experience available at a tourist place?

Old 06-19-2007, 12:01 PM

218 posts, read 755,772 times
Pssst, here's a little secret to prescreening a joint before you're even seated no matter how good their food may be by reputation. Peek in or stall at the entrance to check out how waitstaff is handling the glassware both clean and dirty. See if their fingers are up at the rims where everyones mouths, germs and lipstick have just been implanted and where your mouth will be on a "clean" one! This goes for which end of the SILVERWARE too and how it's handled!

Think about it. Clearing dirty glasses grabbing a bunch at a time by the tops because it's quicker this way. Now what are they gonna touch next, need more dinner rolls, anyone??? Ever see a sink right there where they can constantly wash their hands after doing this all the time?? Go head, check out what they touch next. Probably the computer to ring something in, which the other staff shares too.
Very good management will NOT allow stuff like this, and you'll see people using the bar trays picking the stuff up correctly by the mid or base. And the staff won't be trading colds all year round either and passing it on to everyone else. Staff will be TRAINED (wow nice concept huh!), this can be a telling indication indeed.
Have worked in upscale joints for years and wouldn't work in an untrained place for a million bucks or eat there no matter how busy and popular. Bleck!!! Not worth it.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:41 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,531,004 times
I never go out to a restuarant during holidays or Sundays. Just too many people and the service is too slow. I don't like to wait more than 30 minutes for my food or drinks.

My advice: Don't go out to restuarants during the holiday or on Sundays (the church group people love to "hog" everything in a restuarant).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink