Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 04:42 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I refuse to eat Little Debbie anything.
Not even a Star Crunch?

Lacey, good thing no one yelled, "Food fight!" on pork chop night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 04:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
I don't like Sprite/7 Up due to associations with having stomach flu. Even a taste of lemon lime soda makes me feel nauseous, because that was the only time I had it as a kid...when I was nauseous. I remember in high school psych learning that this type of taste aversion is called "sauce bearnaise syndrome."

Old 05-02-2010, 05:03 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't like Sprite/7 Up due to associations with having stomach flu. Even a taste of lemon lime soda makes me feel nauseous, because that was the only time I had it as a kid...when I was nauseous. I remember in high school psych learning that this type of taste aversion is called "sauce bearnaise syndrome."
I'm not the only one! Thank you!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:54 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
Come to think of it I like cubed pan fried steak covered in ketchup even more. Not sure if this is and effect or side effect?

Old 05-08-2010, 11:09 AM

65 posts, read 92,941 times
Default just like grandma used to make

i remember as a kid thinking that my grandma was the best cook in the whole wide world. we moved away and the grandparents always came to visit us rather than us going to them. anyway, as a teenager i visited my grandparents and grandma cooked...ugh... choke... barf. i mentioned to my mother that sadly, grandmas cooking had gone way down hill and mom said that grandma was ALWAYS a lousy cook. i wondered why i hadn't noticed it as a child and mom said that it was because the only thing i had to compare it to at that time was her own cooking. hmm...(can you say "the runs"...we won't even go there). luckily enough my granny on the other side of the family WAS a great cook till the day she passed away, so at least when i hear the phrase "just like grandma used to make", i don't puke

Old 05-08-2010, 04:04 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,162,269 times
Yes.

I'm pretty far away from home right now. I'm from the deep south. When I get really homesick, I tend to go back to the foods I grew up eating. It reminds me of home and I instantly feel better.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:44 PM

21,533 posts, read 8,718,127 times
When I was about three or four years old, my parents took my brother and me to a Chinese restaurant. I was fascinated by the little dishes of bright red and bright yellow sauce. My mother became alarmed when saw me reaching for the yellow one. She said, "Don't eat that! You won't like it!" Her warning must have buried itself deep into my consciousness. From that day forward, whenever I had Chinese food, without even thinking about it I would reject the yellow sauce. It wasn't until I was well into my 40s that I realized that hey, it's OK, you are allowed to have the hot yellow mustard now!

Old 05-08-2010, 11:51 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
When I was a child my mother always made tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches when it was snowy/icy outside. I have carried on the tradition.

When I was in college she always made lentil soup in a crock pot and cornbread when I was home for a visit. I miss that.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:12 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,041,945 times
Not really a food food, but my dad loves jellybeans. One Christmas I got him the Jellybelly mixed box. I grabbed one thinking it was lemon and it turned out to be buttered popcorn flavor. No problem if i had been expecting that flavor, but I was expecting lemon and got this butter crappy taste.

For at least 15 years (even still today sometimes) I refused to eat popcorn or jellybeans.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:15 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,041,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
When I was about three or four years old, my parents took my brother and me to a Chinese restaurant. I was fascinated by the little dishes of bright red and bright yellow sauce. My mother became alarmed when saw me reaching for the yellow one. She said, "Don't eat that! You won't like it!" Her warning must have buried itself deep into my consciousness. From that day forward, whenever I had Chinese food, without even thinking about it I would reject the yellow sauce. It wasn't until I was well into my 40s that I realized that hey, it's OK, you are allowed to have the hot yellow mustard now!

Come to think of it, when we got Chinese food delivered, my mom would always dump out the mustard packets. It wasn't even left on the table, so we never tasted them. I think I lived alone before I did have one. I remember not even thinking twice and just leaving them in the bag that would soon become the "garbage bag" for the containers. I kinda like it now, but in small doses or mixed in to make sweet and sour hotter. I just don't like the vinegar-y taste, but I like the hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink