Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,532,954 times

Advertisements

Please do tell which brands are the best from your experiences and stores that carry them! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 04:08 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,121,615 times

My two favorites, I buy them packed in oil, never water.
The King Oscars are nice little fishies with the silver skin on.
The Reeses are a bit like tuna, only darker meat and they are skinless.
No bones in either of them.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:16 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,623,897 times
No idea if you can get in the US but for me the best sardines ( which I love and eat quite a few times a week as an easy snack/lunch - also good for my joints which I need) is "Connetable" , "Petit Navire" and "Parmentier" . The best tasting sardines IMO are those caught off France , Spain and Portugal.

I love the ones in extra virgin Olive oil , or with preserved lemons and also the ones with Pimentoes and Tomatoes.

Sardines are so delicious, mashed on a flaky croissant and grilled for a few minutes especially yummy.

I am glad to see someone who shares my passion for them , an excellent source of nutrition and tasty too ! Most people don't seem to appreciate them though...

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en...ed=0CBcQsAQwAA

http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&..._rfai=&start=0

http://www.google.co.uk/images?um=1&..._rfai=&start=0

Old 04-30-2010, 05:54 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,402,188 times
None. LOL

Old 04-30-2010, 07:08 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,777,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
No idea if you can get in the US but for me the best sardines ( which I love and eat quite a few times a week as an easy snack/lunch - also good for my joints which I need) is "Connetable" , "Petit Navire" and "Parmentier" . The best tasting sardines IMO are those caught off France , Spain and Portugal.

I love the ones in extra virgin Olive oil , or with preserved lemons and also the ones with Pimentoes and Tomatoes.

Sardines are so delicious, mashed on a flaky croissant and grilled for a few minutes especially yummy.

I am glad to see someone who shares my passion for them , an excellent source of nutrition and tasty too ! Most people don't seem to appreciate them though...

connetable sardines photos - Google Search

petit navire sardines photos - Google Search

parmentier sardines photos - Google Search
Definitely! I prefer a brand, which I can't recall since I just grab it off the shelf by recognizing the box, but the sardines are from Portugal. They are meatier than other brands and have a better taste to them. I'll see if I can find the brand and post it here.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:24 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
I've been enjoying canned sardines since I was 3. Used to share a can with my Grampie at that age.

Crown Prince Sardines in Tomato Sauce (local grocery stores)
Sultan Moroccan sardines in tomato with hot pepper (Amazon)

Old 04-30-2010, 08:49 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,186,695 times
Sadly, it was reported on the news recently that the last major sardine cannery in Maine is closing down.

What was once a thriving industry in Maine and employed generationsof workers will be no more.

The reason given was the tighter US restrictions on catching fish.

Yup, another industry that is no more in the US.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:55 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,896,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
None. LOL

i have to say that i agree with you...
but they are highest in omega 3's...
which makes them very good for you...

Old 04-30-2010, 10:52 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,286,921 times
While I don't eat sardines, my dog does on a regular basis. I get his at Trader Joe's and sardines and water are the only two ingredients. Here's a great article about sardines. They tested lots of brands and tell you which ingredients to avoid.

The Great Sardine Taste-off – wild, organic, Kosher, Polish, etc - General Chowhounding Topics - Chowhound

Old 05-08-2010, 11:29 AM

627 posts, read 1,295,570 times
Oh man!

This thread got me craving some sardines... back to the market.

On top of some steamy white rice with a drizzle of EVOO!

MMmmmmm..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink