Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:31 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,025,234 times

Advertisements

This was on XM, Fox or CNN this morning. It concerned feeding pets in the kitchen and storing pet food in the same. Risk of salmonella. Especially concerned about young children feeding pets or handling their food.

Well I for one sampled cat chow and dog chow as a kid (please don't think I'm crazy; well I am but that's beside the point). Yuck. I knew then and their that those fooods were made for animals not people.

Just a little tale from the old days. Seriously though, the health experts are recommending a thorough washing of hands after handling pet food and not to allow little ones to feed pets (which is the way to teach them about those Life things, LOL). For them it is mainly a handwashing issue, not an eating one.

What do you folks think about all this?

Last edited by hdwell; 08-09-2010 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: Add a sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 03:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I think it is complete BS. Scare mongering. Slow news day at Fox.

The CDC says that only about 3% of all salmonella cases in the US are even reported at all, and of those, the number whose death is attributable to salmonella is only a tiny number of those, but most victims are elderly, and salmonella can't always be determined to be the cause. Every year, there are numerous salmonella breakouts, often but not always associated with some particular product.

Every year, about 5 million Americans are poisoned by salmonella, which means the average person is more likely than not to get slamonella poisoning in their lifetime. Of those, 150,000 a year are concerned enough that they are medically examined and identified. Of those, 30 die, mostly elderly, unhealthy or infirm in the first place.

Go ahead and live your life looking under your bed for cat-food monsters (Chinese and domestic) and all the other things Fox news warns you constantly about. Fox news is crushing the life out of you with fear and ignorance far worse than salmonella.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-09-2010 at 04:14 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 04:20 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,440 times
This news report was not just heard on Fox News, but also on so called Liberal stations too. Our local liberal radio station reported about this just this morning. They also had a popular local vet comment on it. It was actually one of the top stories. I don't think this was a liberal/conservative agenda issue and I'm not clear how that even enters into it.

IMHO, I think it's always better safe than sorry. The human food sources are scary enough, who knows what they put in pet foods and how they handle the food when they are making it. It seems to be about the money anymore rather than good products. I have three kids and I'd rather be careful than find out after the fact that the news reports were right.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:33 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Why don't we all just live in a bubble - then you step one foot outside your bubble and KAPOW - you keel over dead from all those germs you never built up an immunity to.

My kids ate MUDPIES fgs------------ (and no, they didn't die).

Old 08-09-2010, 05:54 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
Good/happy news doesnt' sell. Scare'n people to listen does. Kinda like politics and radical parties/groups...

Old 08-09-2010, 07:05 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,828 times
Ha ha! My Mother used to freak out when she came to visit. I had a dear little cat who would jump up on my lap when I was watching TV and lap from my cup of iced tea. Mom was horrified and I was charmed. You know, because kitties lick their butts I never got sick though

Last edited by quiet walker; 08-09-2010 at 07:17 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 07:50 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Sounds like someone went fishing for news and that is what they drug in. According to them I should have been dead before the first grade with pet chickens, cats, & a dog.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:34 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,405,498 times
I ate doggie biscuits when I was growing up ~~ I'm fine. Don't have fleas OR lick my butt. LOL ~~ TMI ~~ I know. hahahaha

Old 08-10-2010, 05:47 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,025,234 times
Oh I hear all of you-believe me, I am sooooo tired of all these "alerts". Off the news channels for a day or so and listening to music again. I have XM in my work truck and all day long I switch channels. Nice to have such variety. Anyhow, thought I would run this by you and see what you thought. I think I know now. Something people have done for years with no harm is suddenly dangerous.

We have 2 cats both who get fed in the kitchen. Been that way for years (ages 14 and 12). I'm not about to change my habits as the bowls are far away from the prep area.

Guess you guys have heard about the "corn syrup" scare. High fructose content which causes cancer (?) O but I get my head full daily.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:43 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Believe me, more scare tactics are on the horizon!

Wouldn't you know, as this planet and the human race rushes head-first into extinction, we take our eyes off the trees and the forest, and we spend all our remaining valuable time looking at leaves.

How many human beings to this day, have yet to look up and see a tree, let alone a forest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink