Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2010, 10:38 AM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,172 times

Advertisements

I have a 04 Ford F150 and then emergency brake keeps self engaging. We have had the truck for a while and it just recently started this. Back in May my husband used the emergency brake (we don't typically need to use it), ever since then it randomly self engages. The problem randomly happens when slowing down after hitting a bump or when slowing down to speeds of around 40-45 mph. It sounds like a blown tire when this happens. Once it has started if you come to a full stop it will disengage. We have taken it to a local mechanic (it is of course out of warranty) and they have checked the cable (which is fine) and made adjustments to the brake (which seems to work for a little while, but then randomly starts again).

Has anyone else had/heard of this issue? I would really like to find a fix for this as it is becoming annoying. I can't keep taking the truck in weekly to get the brake adjusted. I am almost tempted just to take the thing out.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 11:10 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Rear disc brakes?

If so, the parking (not emergency) brake is actually a mini drum brake setup inside the brake rotor. It has a set of brake shoes that spread when you push the park brake pedal down. Chances are the friction material has came loose from the one of the brake shoes and is getting lodged between the drum surface and the other shoe. This would explain the random self engagement.

The only way to know for sure is to pull the rotor off and inspect it.

Are you sure it's not a problem with the differential?

Old 07-04-2010, 11:35 AM

Yes it has dis brakes. The mechanic has checked the rear roters, the rear brakes, calipers and cables, differential all seem to be fine.

The first time we took it in the mechanic did say that there was some rust (only on the passenger side) he cleaned and lubed thinking that might fix it.

From the research I have been doing it seems to be a common problem (there are many post about the same issue through out the internet) in the 04/05 models but it seems there is no set fix short of replacing the whole rear breaking system, which sounds expensive. We have contacted the dealership to see if there is any other solution and they of course they say they have never heard of the problem.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:58 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Show your dealer this:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/er..._vibration.pdf

Did your guy remove the rotors and inspect the park brake assembly? If he didn't, then he's just guessing.

Also, you might want to go to a Ford truck forum and do a search. You should be able to find your answer there. Good luck

Old 07-04-2010, 12:02 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something going out that shouldn't be going out yet .
We have had other Fords but this one has tested us. We have put three transmissions in it (@46K original went out then they replaced it and that one went out in a week, we are now on the third).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln