Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 11:45 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,490,456 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I currently drive a 2000 Toyota Corolla, I bought it 3 years ago with 126,000 miles and as of today is at 163,563. It's actually my first ever car. But the Lincoln MKZ caught my attention!

I still live with my parents, and they told me to be smart and stay still with my current car, but the thing is i have thoughts about my car breaking down because of it's age, and how many mileage it has. So i've made up my mind that starting next year i'm going to be on the hunt for a new car. I'm 27 years old for crying out loud, no wife, no kids, no distractions! I need something valuable in my life, so what's better than a good ol' Lincoln?!

This is the one that i want:New 2016 Lincoln MKZ Premiere 100A

Lincoln users/fans...can you guys help me out? What are the pro's and cons of this beautiful car?

So far i've managed to see video reviews of this car and not a single complaint, only that some people don't like the grill, but for me it's really not that serious. As long as this car doesn't leave me in the middle of the road with rush hour then it's all good.

My annual salary is 20,500 a year, and my credit it's in the 720's, just incase someone asks.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 04:27 AM

74 posts, read 170,436 times
I agree that it's a beautiful car and would be very nice to own, however I think given your currently salary that it's more than you should spend. I earn over three times what you do and there is no way I buy a car that cost that much.

I did check a few calculators and the best I could come up with was $8,000 down, 2.99% interest, and financed over 72 month your payment would be $350.00 per month. Then you need to figure higher insurance rates and general maintenance it would probably eat up most of your take home pay. I'd really think this over and try taking the estimated monthly payment and putting it into a saving account for a few months and see if you like have that big of chunk missing from your take home pay.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:51 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Hate to say this, but you have no business at all hunting for a new car let alone a new MKZ. You make peanuts for a salary, are in your late twenties and still live with your parents.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:01 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Hate to say this, but you have no business at all hunting for a new car let alone a new MKZ. You make peanuts for a salary, are in your late twenties and still live with your parents.
Glad you said it first!

Old 06-23-2015, 09:01 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times
In your position, I would suggest you buy a nice, late model, low mileage vehicle that will serve you well for a few years. Doing that eliminates the possibility of an unexpected break down, adds some class to your ride, and can be done for half the cost of the Lincoln.
Something to remember when the excitement of owning a new car becomes overwhelming,
The payments last a lot longer than the new car thrill...!!!

Old 06-23-2015, 11:16 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
So you are aware, the MKZ is a fancy Ford Fusion. They both come out of the same doors in Hermosillo Mexico.It's built on Ford C/D platform, same as the Fusion, Milan, Edge, Mondeo, and others. If resale means anything, I doubt the Lincoln is going to bring much, if any, over a Fusion. Not many folks want a used luxury car with any kind of mileage on the clock. There's far more crap to maintain and it can get expensive to try to keep up with a down falling high mileage luxury car. The 4 banger has only adequate power at 240 HP, it's hardly a hod rod or even comparable to anything in its class. It would not be my Lincoln of choice from a financial perspective. Now if you can swing a new Continental when they hit the streets, now you have a luxury car that won't be next to worthless in year two of ownership. But as with any luxury car, the depreciation is horrible and values drop like a rock. If the name plate means anything to you, look at a used low mileage luxury car. You'll save a ton of money.

FWIW, the 2.0 EcoBoost engine is a direct injected engine. Since the first direct injected engine was designed it has been considered a design defect. The issue is with deposits that form on the intake itself. Because the fuel is never in the intake, there's no way to clean the deposits accept by taking it off and manually cleaning it. Performance suffers as does fuel mileage as deposits build. Ford thinks that by providing boost during the valve timing overlap, that the boost will keep deposits out of the intake and blow them out with the exhaust. It hasn't worked yet. A direct injected engine would be the last engine on my list to have in my driveway regardless of the name plate. Here's a bore scope of what you can expect from BG Products testing.

This is an intake valve. It should be relatively clean but it's coked with deposits that are only going to get worse. This is the EB engine at 44,000 miles.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:16 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
At your income, get a slightly used car. I agree having reliable transportation is important, but so's personal independence, personal responsibility, and fiscal responsibility. This isn't about your age. If you made more than double and lived on your own I'd say go for it. But you make far less per year than the car you wish to buy. You probably could get away with getting a brand new subcompact like a Yaris, Fiesta, Sonic, Mazda2, Fit, Rio, Accent, or Versa. They can be had new for less than $20,000 before taxes.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:22 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
If you think you can afford this then get your own phone plan independent from your parents' plan, get your own auto insurance instead of grouped with parents' insurance, pay parents rent, and pay your share of utilities and groceries!

Old 06-23-2015, 12:43 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Since the first direct injected engine was designed it has been considered a design defect. The issue is with deposits that form on the intake itself. Because the fuel is never in the intake, there's no way to clean the deposits accept by taking it off and manually cleaning it. Performance suffers as does fuel mileage as deposits build. Ford thinks that by providing boost during the valve timing overlap, that the boost will keep deposits out of the intake and blow them out with the exhaust. It hasn't worked yet. A direct injected engine would be the last engine on my list to have in my driveway regardless of the name plate. Here's a bore scope of what you can expect from BG Products testing.
The problem is not the DI configuration, the issue is that the hydrocarbon wastes get put back through the motor to improve emissions (since they get a second try at getting detonated). If the intake only had to handle clean air, while the injectors squirted the fuel directly into the chamber, there would be no problem. Feeding the wastes into a fifth valve that was electrically actuated would also solve the issue. Or indeed a system to actuate all the valves electrically, like Koenigsegg has tested, would solve numerous problems and greatly simplify engine design, as well as opening the door for novel solutions that would keep buildup from accumulating in vulnerable areas.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:26 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,490,456 times
You guys are correct.

With the salary that i make, i have no business owning a NEW luxury car. I should definitely look for an older model from 2014. I checked my local lincoln's site and they have 2014 MKZ pre-owned with 5-7,000 miles from 24,000. But i'm going to pull back from buying.

My salary is too crappy to own a luxury car, and plus...i've never been a luxurious type of person for me to own anything related to luxury. I'm just going to continue saving money for the future, whether it's for me to split from my parents house, or for something else. Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
If you think you can afford this then get your own phone plan independent from your parents' plan, get your own auto insurance instead of grouped with parents' insurance, pay parents rent, and pay your share of utilities and groceries!
You got a point, but i pay my phone bill and house utilities, the rest me and my parents we split it .

Anyways, thanks for the replies guys. Have a good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln