Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:56 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times

Advertisements

I think it's *possible* that the fuel filter is your problem. Possible. If you are going to use and drive the car, and the fuel filter has 30K or more miles on it, go on and change it, it needs doing regardless if it fixes your problem or not.

The fuel pumps in most cars can be heard humming, that's normal, the humming can get louder when the filter is nearly plugged up. Not something I can diagnose from here. If you can check amps on the fuel pump that might let you know something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 08:02 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,018,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I think it's *possible* that the fuel filter is your problem. Possible. If you are going to use and drive the car, and the fuel filter has 30K or more miles on it, go on and change it, it needs doing regardless if it fixes your problem or not.

The fuel pumps in most cars can be heard humming, that's normal, the humming can get louder when the filter is nearly plugged up. Not something I can diagnose from here. If you can check amps on the fuel pump that might let you know something.

Hmm it could be possible.

Also when I put the car in drive sometimes the car jumps on its own a little. It will jump by itself without me feeding it gas every once in a while.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:32 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
New plugs and wires first.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Alright I changed the fuel filter. Surpisingly it made a little differece in the performance. I gained some acceleration back. I'm just going to finance a used car and swap out the transmission in the taurus and sell it.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
you have only scratched the surface on what might be the problem with your taurus. what vacuum readings are you getting at idle, and other rpms? have you checked the computer codes? how many miles are on this car? have you checked the catalytic converter? have you checked the electrical connections? all of these issues can cause the problems you are having.

i would start with the vacuum readings at various rpms, and work from there.

also check the air filter as well.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Alright I changed the fuel filter. Surpisingly it made a little differece in the performance. I gained some acceleration back. I'm just going to finance a used car and swap out the transmission in the taurus and sell it.
This does not sound like what a Real Car Guy would do. If the Taurus is not what you want, and I could see that, unless you do the tranny swap yourself you will not likely get enough more money out of it post-repair to pay for the repair. Suggest selling it as is as a "mechanic's special". Maybe one of the guys you work with will want it. If all the older, more experienced mechanics shy away from it, that's telling you something that you probably don't want to hear, but need to listen to.

Have you checked out the simple things like the transmission fluid level and condition? If this trans has a filter, changing that filter won't hurt anything.

Finance a more economical and reliable car if you have to, but the best car deals are done with cash, from the buyer's perspective.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:44 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
Or change the plugs and wires? Ignition issues are often mistaken for transmission problems. So new fuel filter didn't fix is, so get a new effing car.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Or change the plugs and wires? Ignition issues are often mistaken for transmission problems. So new fuel filter didn't fix is, so get a new effing car.
Spark Plugs and wires are new.
Air filter is new.
I check the catalytic convertor it wasn't glowing red.

The fuel is bad too.

It's making a whining noise especially if I'm going uphill.
The engine is slightly misfiring.
It pops into gear fine.

I have to get permission at my job in order to use a scan tool on my own car. So it will be a few days since i'm off today. I have to wait. Now I really want to know whats wrong just for the hell of it.

I honestly don't even care about the money right now. I just want to say I fixed my car and its running like a champ. This is a good experience.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
This does not sound like what a Real Car Guy would do. If the Taurus is not what you want, and I could see that, unless you do the tranny swap yourself you will not likely get enough more money out of it post-repair to pay for the repair. Suggest selling it as is as a "mechanic's special". Maybe one of the guys you work with will want it. If all the older, more experienced mechanics shy away from it, that's telling you something that you probably don't want to hear, but need to listen to.

Have you checked out the simple things like the transmission fluid level and condition? If this trans has a filter, changing that filter won't hurt anything.

Finance a more economical and reliable car if you have to, but the best car deals are done with cash, from the buyer's perspective.

The fluid in the transmission is red with no metal flakes. The level is where it should be at. I heard changing the filter may cause problems but then again its not like I don't have any rihgt now. I will look into that after I change the fuel pump. The fuel pump is bad the whining noise is pretty loud but it could be the fuel pump and the entire transaxle going bad.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:29 PM

Now you are talking like a Real Car Guy. The loud fuel pump may or may not be the main problem, although if changing the fuel filter improved things, you may have mostly a fuel pressure issue. If you can throw a fuel pressure gauge on it, that will tell you, and/or check the fuel pump amps.

Do get to the bottom of the problem, even if you then take the decision to scrap the car, it will be an informed decision based on measurements you make and know are accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln