Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 10:19 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Good thing I wrote "that I know about."

Get back to me when it gets anywhere near 6 million wrecks, 4 million injuries, and 40,000 fatalities.
When there are 10s of millions of Teslas on the road vs 10s of thousands I am sure I will. Funny, you dont see too many Ferrari accidents when compared to Ford either. I suppose that could be due to the fact that Ferrari is somehow immune to accidents like you think Tesla is. Or could it be due to the fact that for every Ferrari on the road there are perhaps a million Fords (or more).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 10:35 PM

15,838 posts, read 14,472,390 times
You're forgetting the vast universe of truck drivers out there. At some point, and not too far in the future, the long haul truck driver will be a thing of the past. A lot of short haul truckers will go away also, but since in some circumstances they're needed for cargo handling and customer service, they may have a job longer (until someone comes up with a robot to deal with those issues.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I had a conversation about this subject a while back. If one day all transportation goes autonomous then there will be so many affected by this that I don't think it will happen. Or will it??

No more car accidents or a lot less means no more need for emergency services that deal with car accidents, police will have not have any revenue from citation tickets for violations. Body shops and collision centers will see a big drop off auto wrecks related repairs. Auto wrecking yards will loose a lot of business ... the list goes on.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:46 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,786 times
Just a thought, the class 1 railroads have toyed with the idea of possibly replacing the human factor (engineers) with automated engines...I am not sure, however I think they realized that regardless of the hands off factor...a human needed to be on board, just in case. I can't imagine running tractor trailers without that same human assist.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:59 PM

50 posts, read 35,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
Funny, you dont see too many Ferrari accidents when compared to Ford either. I suppose that could be due to the fact that Ferrari is somehow immune to accidents like you think Tesla is. Or could it be due to the fact that for every Ferrari on the road there are perhaps a million Fords (or more).

It could also be due to the fact that most Ferrari's are rarely driven. I have a few friends that have them and they only take them to car shows, out to eat every so often, short rides around town and that's about it. Search Ferrari's for sale some time and it's rare when they have over 10,000 miles and I'm talking about a very old car. Also, in the neighborhoods I live in, you definitely see more Tesla than Ford.

Yes, I know it's not the point you were trying to make and I agree with you.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:05 PM

15,838 posts, read 14,472,390 times
How many truck wrecks are caused by driver error? How useful will a human backup be if, since he isn't actually driving, he's doing something else (playing on his phone, reading a book, sleeping)?

I've seen a few train wrecks lately that have been caused by human error. The train passengers would be better of if computers were driving. But the train unions stoke the public fears. The various trucker unions will try to do the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Just a thought, the class 1 railroads have toyed with the idea of possibly replacing the human factor (engineers) with automated engines...I am not sure, however I think they realized that regardless of the hands off factor...a human needed to be on board, just in case. I can't imagine running tractor trailers without that same human assist.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:21 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I drove a friend's brand new Honda SUV for 2 weeks. All the new technology is amazing and it takes some getting used to. Those cameras are very bright when the display comes on at night. Bright enough to diminish your night vision. Maybe there is a way to turn them down to a reasonable level, I'm not sure. My friend warned me that the car would take over if it thought you were weaving out of your lane. Now that scared me and you have never seen a more careful driver than I was in that car. I kept wondering if the car would take over if I changed lanes without a signal. Luckily I never found out!

Old 08-17-2016, 09:30 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,152,683 times
One thing that also plays a factor is will people want it?

Old 08-17-2016, 11:30 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Good thing I wrote "that I know about."

Get back to me when it gets anywhere near 6 million wrecks, 4 million injuries, and 40,000 fatalities.
At the current rate of Tesla miles driven that might take a century.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:08 PM

472 posts, read 378,200 times
I want my technology to assist me, not take over for me and take away my freedom of driving the open road.

Check my backup clearance, my lane changes, give me cameras, make sure I don't crash into anything ahead, but don't take my steering wheel, gas pedal and brake away. NEVER!!!!

Old 08-17-2016, 04:18 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
The game changer will be when two car families can transition to being a single car family when the car can drive dad to work and then drive itself home for mom to use the rest of the day. When that happens it will be feasible to sell a car for 60-75k with an insane amount of technologyy to an average family since that's what two cars cost nowadays anyways.

At that point I could see cars transitioning to being a service based system where few people actually own a car anymore. Just call for one when you need.
That would absolutely suck! I like having my OWN car, and I'm not sharing one with anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln