Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:27 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times

Advertisements

Anyone been noticing that Ford Motor Co did not go begging for a government bailout like its two sad associates, and not only has survived, but reports today that increased sales in July have the company in the black for that month. Good for them. The increased sales were the result of the cash for clunkers program but it is still a great success for them. Unlike the other two companies who have become a sinkhole for billions of dollars of taxpayer subsidies and are under a disastrous partial control by the Feds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 02:28 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
I've never been a Ford man. But if I were in the market for a new car or truck, I'd DEFINITELY consider Ford. Anybody that will say, "Thanks but no thanks" to the government, and solve their own problems, has earned my respect.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:40 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
I think that there are a lot of people who want to buy an American car but who are disgusted by the bailout. These people are buying Ford.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:42 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Kinda reaffirms why I like Ford. Excellent job Ford.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:45 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Although they didn't get a government bailout, in 2006 they put up all of their North American plants, trademarks, patents and even some intracompany debt as collateral to secure $18 billion in loans to help fund the company's attempt at restructuring. They got a cash infusion from a difference source and needed it to survive. They were very much on the brink of bankruptcy but came out lucky because they started restructuring earlier.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Although they didn't get a government bailout, in 2006 they put up all of their North American plants, trademarks, patents and even some intracompany debt as collateral to secure $18 billion in loans to help fund the company's attempt at restructuring. They got a cash infusion from a difference source and needed it to survive. They were very much on the brink of bankruptcy but came out lucky because they started restructuring earlier.
Right. They got their money from somewhere other than the government.

That, more than any one other thing, is probably going to be the saving of Ford. Let's not kid ourselves into think that Big Brother is NOT going to be trying to tell GM & Chrysler how to operate. And if the government runs them as well as it runs everything else it touches, they're in BIG trouble.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:55 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,954,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

That, more than any one other thing, is probably going to be the saving of Ford. Let's not kid ourselves into think that Big Brother is NOT going to be trying to tell GM & Chrysler how to operate. And if the government runs them as well as it runs everything else it touches, they're in BIG trouble.
Agreed. Bottom line is everyones taxpayers dollars went directly to bail out Chrysler and GM, not Ford.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Agreed. Bottom line is everyones taxpayers dollars went directly to bail out Chrysler and GM, not Ford.
BINGO!

It amazes me how many people CANNOT seem to understand that all these government programs cost US. They don't cost "somebody else." They cost US!

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post

Although the level of intrusion is up to debate, the government would be crazy not to run them. If I'm lending/giving you money because of the understanding that you have not been fit to run your business properly then you're damn right I'll be giving you that loan along with a set of guidelines to ensure that you're not flushing my money down the toilet.

When Ford got their multi billion dollar loan you know they had to present a business case to their lenders to assure them that their money is being used wisely instead of in the same manner that got them in trouble in the first place.

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
And they should be applauded for that.

When bailout round #1 came, I was wondering how GM was going to magically solve their problem of a $50B negative net worth that was compounded by about $200B of unfunded liabilities.

When D-day came for them in March, their pants were still down.

Chrysler just got a handout because Dan Quayle is on the board at Cerberus.

So, I give Ford some credit for doing...something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln