Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 02:07 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,095,198 times

Advertisements

How good were the 1979-91 Ford LTD Crown Victoria's? I still see plenty of them around and many of them appear to be in good shape
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 02:31 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
At least decent. The 86 to about 89 models are the better ones, IMHO., with the 351 having fuel injection. I'm a 2-door guy so I would go for an 86 or 87 coupe. The 302 came with single-point FI from the get-go, the carburated 351s were pretty thirsty from what I have heard.

There are Police Package parts at least theoretically available that can improve handling at least some. Some police package parts may still be available new, but the springs, sway bars etc. should be available from junkyards.

Unfortunately you get a slushbox transmission, want it or not, which is a downer to me.

Friend of mine has an 86 or 87 4-door, it seems to be a good car, he had some problems getting the EGR valve and it's associated potentiometer to work right, but since he got that sorted it has been a good car, decent mileage considering the size of the car. His has the 302.

I would not automatically consider the 351 to be preferable to the 302, I'd have to drive one of each to see if the 351's added power justifies it's greater thirst. You are not going to blow the doors off a Z-01 vette with one of these in any case, right?

I think for what it is, it's a much better looking car than the current full-size Ford.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 12-30-2009 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: 302 always had FI

Old 12-30-2009, 02:41 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
At least decent. The 86 to about 89 models are the better ones, IMHO., having fuel injection. I'm a 2-door guy so I would go for an 86 or 87 coupe.

There are Police Package parts at least theoretically available that can improve handling at least some.

Unfortunately you get a slushbox transmission, want it or not, which is a downer to me.

Friend of mine has an 86 or 87 4-door, it seems to be a good car, he had some problems getting the EGR valve and it's associated potentiometer to work right, but since he got that sorted it has been a good car, decent mileage considering the size of the car. His has the 302.

I would not automatically consider the 351 to be preferable to the 302, I'd have to drive one of each to see if the 351's added power justifies it's greater thirst. You are not going to blow the doors off a Z-01 vette with one of these in any case, right?

I think for what it is, it's a much better looking car than the current full-size Ford.
hmm I have a 91 F250 with a 302EFI and for the weight of the truck it takes alot of gas to get it moving where the 351 would be a better choice because it has the power advantage and the MPG would be pretty close because you don't have to gun it as much to get going and since a full size car is pretty heavy I can assume it would be the same situation either way both motors are easy fix and find parts for and pretty much any mechanic knows how to work on them so if you find a nice one with low miles and very little rust for a decent price go for it.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:01 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
I have a close friend who got rid of his '90 Grand Marquis a few years ago. I can't even begin to explain the amount of destructive abuse that car took from him. It was insane.... he would throw it in reverse while going 50mph forward so he could lock up the tires, constantly locked up the e-brake, rev limit it in neutral and then throw it in gear, every possible way to do burn outs, WOT the engine nearly every time it was driven... the list goes on and on. And these were things he would do every time he drove it over the span of about 5 years or so.

Funny thing was the car ran absolutely perfect right before it was killed with 170k on the clock... murdered actually... You wouldn't have even known it had taken any abuse, it was unbelievable how good it ran. He killed it by one of his throwing it in reverse tricks... the transmission tail shaft snapped. It was actually an easy fix and I helped him buy the few things necessary to fix it... however he just wasn't up for the project and junked it. He regrets that decision and all the abuse he gave it to this day.

Again, words cannot describe how bad that car was treated and it still ran like new. It was a truly epic automobile. Besides being able to withstand abuse the car was extremely comfortable, surprisingly good on gas and I really liked the styling.

The only items routinely replaced on that car was the tires that were constantly being destroyed lol.

I would buy one of them in a heart beat if I had the room. Like Mitch states, the 302 is an excellent all around engine. It has more than enough power for the average driver. They last forever and can sip gas if you run them correctly.

Last edited by Innovator831021; 12-30-2009 at 03:10 PM..

Old 12-30-2009, 03:04 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times

Old 12-30-2009, 03:16 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
That is not a disadvantage for that type of car. I would definitely prefer an automatic transmission on an LTD Crown Victoria.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:28 PM

I did hear about them having transmission problems on the 1980-81 models and they seem to be more difficult to find than the other models, didn't the base model have single headlights on each side?

Old 12-30-2009, 03:32 PM

haha I just realized if you get the LTD county squire you could make you own family truckster

Old 12-30-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
haha I just realized if you get the LTD county squire you could make you own family truckster
OMG I have totally forgotten all about the Family Truckster, that was a very ugly styling car and I wonder how many of them were made for the movie?

Old 12-30-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
OMG I have totally forgotten all about the Family Truckster, that was a very ugly styling car and I wonder how many of them were made for the movie?
heres a site for ya has all the info on the family truckster and don't forget to get "the CB and the optional Rally Fun-Pack"
Car Lust: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln