Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:02 PM

469 posts, read 1,037,586 times

Advertisements

I know somebody that bought 5000 acres of land at the Monterey/San Benito County Border for 2 million from a cash strapped cattle farmer. He then leased it back to the same farmer. I think Ted hit the nail on the head.

Can you show us one comp Blow'. I like Country Homes, Farms, Ranches for Sale, Recreational Property & Land - United Country Rural Real Estate and Land for sale, acreage for sale, lots for sale, farms for sale at LandWatch.com. You can search by county in land watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 04:37 PM

41 posts, read 135,525 times
I know all about farmers and what problems they often face. And yes, shame on me for thinking about asking my parents to help me. What was I thinking? <eye roll>

I am not really interested to see what my land is worth. For me it has it's own value. Yes, it may be assessed high or low by "the powers that be" but the bottom line is that it is worth what someone will buy it for. And as I have said numerous times I do not want to sell.

What I am looking for is option/solutions to save my land. Right now I am trying to see if I can somehow get a loan, refinance, or something of that nature.

If anyone can offer advice related SPECIFICALLY to that, let me know. Criticism and unrelated repetitive comments are not needed, but thanks anyway.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:55 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowmonkey View Post
I know all about farmers and what problems they often face. And yes, shame on me for thinking about asking my parents to help me. What was I thinking? <eye roll>

I am not really interested to see what my land is worth. For me it has it's own value. Yes, it may be assessed high or low by "the powers that be" but the bottom line is that it is worth what someone will buy it for. And as I have said numerous times I do not want to sell.

What I am looking for is option/solutions to save my land. Right now I am trying to see if I can somehow get a loan, refinance, or something of that nature.

If anyone can offer advice related SPECIFICALLY to that, let me know. Criticism and unrelated repetitive comments are not needed, but thanks anyway.

Here is what I would do.............since you believe/think your property is worth $78,000 ( and you only owe $25,000) sell off just enough acres to pay for the surveying, closing costs, and the $25,000 you owe.

Quite simple, actually.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:01 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
I think your best bet would be to check with a local credit union or one of the farm credit agencies which deal almost exclusively with loans on farm land and other rural properties. I noticed that there appears to be four of them in Colorado--not sure if each serves the entire state. You can look up their locations on
Farm Credit - Home

With a 5 to 10 year loan term you could significantly reduce your monthly payment. If you'd go with a longer term, your minimum (mandatory) payment would be reduced but you could always pay more to pay it off quicker, as if the loan were for a shorter term. That would just give you some breathing room in case you became strapped for cash at any given time.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Here is what I would do.............since you believe/think your property is worth $78,000 ( and you only owe $25,000) sell off just enough acres to pay for the surveying, closing costs, and the $25,000 you owe.

Quite simple, actually.
Thanks for that option and it is a good one. The problem is my HOA does not allow sub divides...unless it's immediate family. It is the only restriction of the HOA.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I think your best bet would be to check with a local credit union or one of the farm credit agencies which deal almost exclusively with loans on farm land and other rural properties. I noticed that there appears to be four of them in Colorado--not sure if each serves the entire state. You can look up their locations on
Farm Credit - Home

With a 5 to 10 year loan term you could significantly reduce your monthly payment. If you'd go with a longer term, your minimum (mandatory) payment would be reduced but you could always pay more to pay it off quicker, as if the loan were for a shorter term. That would just give you some breathing room in case you became strapped for cash at any given time.
Yes...and thank you. I think this is what I will do..as we have Farm Credit offices all over CO. With my poor credit history they may want a co-signer (my parents?) and maybe won't even give me the loan with a co-signer. In that case I would see if my parents could get the loan on their own and I would make the payments.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Yes...and thank you. I think this is what I will do..as we have Farm Credit offices all over CO. With my poor credit history they may want a co-signer (my parents?) and maybe won't even give me the loan with a co-signer. In that case I would see if my parents could get the loan on their own and I would make the payments.

By the time parents make it to their 80's....( and have little money ....your own words ) their adult kids should be able to make it on their own.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:28 AM

I dealt with Farm Credit for many years when I was an actual farmer.

Be prepared to get laughed right out the door.

What do you think the Farm in Farm Credit stands for ?

Old 11-12-2013, 11:39 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I dealt with Farm Credit for many years when I was an actual farmer.

Be prepared to get laughed right out the door.

What do you think the Farm in Farm Credit stands for ?
I've dealt with a Farm Credit Service company in Michigan. While they lend primarily to farmers, they also handle rural lands that aren't being actively farmed. It's still worth the OP checking it out. His land might even qualify as ag anyway.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that option and it is a good one. The problem is my HOA does not allow sub divides...unless it's immediate family. It is the only restriction of the HOA.

I never heard of ag land being part of an HOA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs