Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:40 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Really, you think I should tell them during the interview? How do I bring it up?
When in doubt, disclose, disclose, disclose and do so without emotion.

I don't know the situation that resulted in your foreclosure and it's none of my business. If you are of a mindset, that your lender did you wrong, think about the ramifications, given you want a job with a bank whose sole purpose is to lend money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 06:29 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
When in doubt, disclose, disclose, disclose and do so without emotion.

I don't know the situation that resulted in your foreclosure and it's none of my business. If you are of a mindset, that your lender did you wrong, think about the ramifications, given you want a job with a bank whose sole purpose is to lend money.

No, the lender did not do me wrong but loss of income of about 10.000 a year and other factors did cause a problem.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:26 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,969,464 times
Always disclose as everyone has said. Most employers do look at credit reports but few will deny you (or can) based on a foreclosure. However, not being upfront on applications or statements is a reason to deny a job or fire someone. Especially if you are going to deal with the bank's money they want to make sure you are honest and can be trusted with it.

From what I have been told, foreclosures, collections or judgments are reasons to deny a job. BK is the only item that can not be used against you.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:34 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,894 times
Alot of companies run credit checks now to secure employment.
I have worked for two telecommunications companies and they both ran credit checks, even though I never work with cash.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:13 AM

952 posts, read 3,705,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarrillo View Post
Always disclose as everyone has said. Most employers do look at credit reports but few will deny you (or can) based on a foreclosure. However, not being upfront on applications or statements is a reason to deny a job or fire someone. Especially if you are going to deal with the bank's money they want to make sure you are honest and can be trusted with it.

From what I have been told, foreclosures, collections or judgments are reasons to deny a job. BK is the only item that can not be used against you.
What is BK? When I filled out the application they mentioned the credit check and asked me a bunch of ethical questions. They asked me if I ever been arrested, steeling, money laundering etc. They never asked me if I foreclosed on a house. At what point of time in the interview should I bring this up if they don't.
" oh, and I am about to foreclose on a house, just to let you know".
I will follow you advice though.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:54 AM

610 posts, read 2,728,688 times
I know someone who is in consulting and he was in foreclosure. His firm was hired to do a project for a large banking instutition and he was removed from the project when the banking instutition found out about his pending foreclosure. He was then placed on another assignment.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,136,497 times
Quote:
What is BK? When I filled out the application they mentioned the credit check and asked me a bunch of ethical questions. They asked me if I ever been arrested, steeling, money laundering etc. They never asked me if I foreclosed on a house. At what point of time in the interview should I bring this up if they don't.
First off it sounds as though you will be interviewing and possibly starting the job before the foreclosure is finalized. Ever heard of the old saying 'it ain't over til it's over'?

Secondly I see no reason for you to bring it up unless directly asked. A bank could definitely pass you over for this simple reason.

Lastly, it's not like you are applying for the position of Bank President.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:12 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
I am interviewing for a bank teller job. I am about to foreclose on a house. How will that effect me? Can they tell me no? All my other bills are all current and on time. Current score is about 70- 750. After foreclosure it will be A lot lower.
Kind of, its proven that people who have money problems are more prone to steal, (sorry, I didnt makeup the study) so the foreclosure wont stop you from getting the job, the failure to make the mortgage payments, and having poor credit will. Since you state your credit score is still decent, then you might be ok, getting the job before the foreclosure.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:45 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,412 times
I think this is a really interesting thread in conjunction with the threads regarding people "buying and bailing". I think people are not thinking about all the ramifications of foreclosure - pre-employment credit checks, increased insurance costs, difficulty with finding rental home if necessary, etc. I know that people don't think that these issues might be lurking in the future, but a foreclosure stays on your report for a long time and you never know. I think it is particularly foolhardy for those who are just leaving their homes because they are unhappy about being upside down. I realize that that is probably not the case for this poster, but I had to add my $.02.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,969,464 times
Quote:

BK = bankruptcy, sorry... I use abbreviations sometimes when I am not talking to customers.

There is the fine line of disclosing items that are relevant to the conversation and disclosing every bad thing you did since you were 5. NEVER lie to an employer or on an application, even if you get the job if 2-3 years from now they find out you lied on the application you could be fired. It has happened to several high up people in corporations and government, they "fluffed" up their resume or evaded questions and then 15 years later it came back to hurt them. You don't want to work your way up to regional manager of a bank and get fired for lying when you applied as a teller.

However, if they don't ask about any pending financial issues or if you have been in foreclosure... you don't need to come out and tell them every last thing. But be careful, if a question is even close to this, like "have you ever had a foreclosure", don't be cute and say "no" because its not finalized yet. While technically true, if they find out that is reason enough to consider you dishonest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs