Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 12:49 PM

31 posts, read 44,340 times

Advertisements

We would appreciate any feedback and suggestions you could give.
We are considering moving from S. California to find a more wholesome environment to raise our kids as well an less expensive area to live.
We are attracted to the outdoor beauty in Co. and dry climate
We are a fairly conservative religious family.
We would hope to to find a town/suburb with lots of churches and outdoor parks. We are an pretty active, social family as well.

My husband runs a small toner cartridge recycling business in S. California and we are looking for a city that he might move his business to. Does anyone have experience with operating a business in Colorado? What is the climate like for business? California is becoming unbearable as we are being taxed to death.

I homeschool our twin 7 year olds. Does anyone have experience with local groups in the area. I understand that Colorado requires testing. Can anyone speak to how difficult this is to do?

We would like to live in a smaller suburb within 30-40 minutes outside of a city. The most challenging part is that we want to find a small home (at least 1000 square feet) so we can pay cash. Which would limit us to 100 K.
I know yikes! Are we barking up the wrong tree?

Any ideas?
thanks, ellabella
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 02:37 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,985 times
Unless you do not mind some repairs, the house factor is going to be limiting in Fort Collins or Loveland, but there are some possibilities in the price range in Greeley, or some of the smaller towns 30-40 minutes away, like you mention. Towns to consider include Ault, Pierce, Nunn, Carr among others. These are located east of Fort Collins and are not so much suburbs as small farm towns. When you consider travel times, you are not dealing with the SoCal traffic, so 30-40 minutes away cold also be 30-40 miles away.

If you go west, your travel times will vary wildly depending upon weather, as you will be getting onto the mountains.

If you are buying with cash, that opens up the possibility of purchasing a manufactured home that may not otherwise qualify for traditional financing. However, that could bite you when it comes time to sell.

Our son is home schooled through the local Fort Collins school district's online program and we have had a good experience with it. The testing and coursework is done primarily online.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:45 PM

85 posts, read 249,406 times
Depending what part of So Cal you are moving from - you'll run into some pretty strong culture shock. It might be mediated by religion and conservative - which it is. Home schooling - there are organizations (check the web) for this - Loveland has a couple, as I recall. Housing is difficult to speak to since it's so subjective - just like in California - the further away from a city you get, the more the prices go down - and so does your access to resources (restaurants, shopping, medical are all that much further away). Possibly doable.

As to the business - have you searched on the web for similar businesses that already exist in Northern Colorado? You may have stiff competition because, realistically, I don't know how big a supply base you're going to have. You will compete with the web and other stores for customers potentially.

I'm not trying to be negative - what I'm suggesting is that you need to do some homework. Perhaps you could contact the Fort Collins and Loveland Business Departments and talk with someone there. I'm sure they can share statistical data.

It's a nice community up here but significantly different than a lot of California, especially Los Angeles/San Diego/etc ...and trust me - the weather will be a lot different. Are you prepared for years where it snows from October to June? Yeah, it melts by the afternoon but still...it can be a shock after So Cal weather. I'd suggest truly doing your homework. Have you visited? You need to and in the dead of winter - not just when it's beautiful in the summer or early fall.

Look at the recreation sites (to see what's available for your kids). I understand from the locals that there is a heavy wait list for kids to get into various activities. Also, you said you are social. What activities do you like to participate in and are they available here? Are there organizations you belong to that you could join here? If you plan on being active in a church it's a good place to start but look into other opportunities also.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,943 times
I'm curious, did you end up making the move? My family and I are very similar to yours and we are considering moving to Fort Collins from San Diego. Do you like it? Was it culturally shocking?

Old 01-10-2012, 05:41 AM

192 posts, read 470,911 times
Just move to Fort Collins! There is very little culture, so very little culture shock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area