Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 09:49 AM

18 posts, read 34,141 times

Advertisements

Hi! Well, my hubby and I moved here in march of this year from Sarasota Fl wanting to experience Colorado. When we arrived, everyone told us that Summer is right around the corner, and by June it was. BUT.... by September it was already too cold in the mornings and afternoons to want to be outside and now we are wondering how we are going to go through 7 months of "cabin fever" without cashing in on one of our life insurance policys. All we're wanting to know is what to do during these winters. We do ski a bit and really enjoyed Steamboat Springs last week, but are looking for more local/afternoon entertainment. Please understand that we most likely jumped the gun by not thinking it through a bit more, but we want to give it our best and try to "embrace" the cold. We would love some ideas for what to do after work. Weekends are back to Steamboat!
Also... is there a great adults restaurant on the south side of town that would have a locals feel. We're hoping to find a good "regulars" place with a bit of class. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 10:38 AM

192 posts, read 471,012 times
You may have jumped the gun, but there is still hope. We have found that Ft Collins is mostly based on Summer activitys and , because it is a Northern climate, can be a challenge in the winter. Try to see if Denver offers more to interest levels. It's not great, but is less young family dedicated than Fort Collins. As far as " locals" places??? Other than the Crown Pub in Old Town, we haven't really found that place either. It would be great if someone came up with a place that was removed from the routine, but this is a new area trying to lay some roots and that makes it difficult. You may not find the classy place in comparison from Sarasota as Colorado is more based on "outdoorsy", but there are definately some nice restaurants with dress casual. Remember that Sarasota has substancial wealth and we are more of a middle-class town. We even see people wearing sweats in church. Hey, might as well be comfortable.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:38 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,004 times
Regarding the weather, I think you just need to get used to a new temperature tolerance. There are days in the 60s in Colorado in November, I remember in 2009 riding my bike up the canyon in shorts on January first. I think you might just need to adjust that mid to high 50s and sun isn't really that cold, and you can still do the same outdoors things you did in the summer (but maybe with different gear/clothes). December was the coldest months in my 5 winters in CO, and the great thing about CO is that you get these random days of warmth in the middle of the winter, you just have to utilize them. Yes there are cold days in the winter (two winters ago I rode to work and it was -25 out), but FoCo does not have the sustained cold that you would experience in Minnesota or even a mountain town in CO.

As for local places, you will need to go to the Norther side of town. The south side is all really new, and I don' think you'll find what you are looking for there.

Crown Pub is a good start. If you're looking for sit down, we liked the Moot House on college. Even though they're not sit down, Avogadro's number is great, and they always have something going on, whether it be open mic night or dance lessons. Coopersmiths is good, as is Austin's (though a little touristy). I think you will find more order at the counter and find a seat places in Fort Collins, due to the college. But there are some great places for that style of dining. We really miss the Pickle Barrel, Cafe Mexicali, and La Luz. And there's always the Charcoal Broiler (which is maybe too local).

Again none of these places are on the South side, but it's not that far to get to Old Town.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
If you need some more weekend action, head to Boulder (It is closer than Steamboat and much closer than Sarasota).

I think any significant move gets you thinking 'What-if'...?

Just enjoy the heck out of the present situation and give it a few yrs. The weather has NOT been normal ANYWHERE (that I know of, except maybe FL.... it is pretty ez to stay 'normal' there...) CA, AZ, NM, TX are all very non-normal too.

Try all kinds of places while you are in CO. I would do a weekend in Co Springs too, it is VERY nice, and lots to do.

Weekday action (after work). Join some city league sports or other hobbies.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:21 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,530,288 times
If you want a health club, we are members of the Ft. Collins Club on Prospect....it has stuff for all ages...... Also, the town has great walking paths........buy bikes.....

I agree: Moot House is for a nice dinner. On College, there is a nice Italian restaurant......it has a round, long, eggplant-purple awning sticking out over the sidewalk......Boretti's or Biporetti's or something......we like that place. Charco Broiler is very much 'locals'....it's way out on Mulberry....kind of an old, dark, steak-burger place out of the 50's feel to it....our waitress there could be anybody's grandma, (Mary?), is extremely efficient, everybody knows her and she's been there for @ 20 years.....when you first walk in you think it's a senior citizen place, but it isn't. We like Chicago Pizza and the other one by Coopersmith's where you can put honey on the crust.....Beau Jo's. For breakfast, Silver Grille or Breakfast Club are 'locals'. The Island Grille, which is by the Sunshine (or is it Sunflower?) Market is 'locals'.

There is always something going on at the college......

Man, if the Ft. Collins area had a Floridian climate, we'd be gone.......give the colder weather a chance....(we moved here in May and we are from the beach in S. California)...there is plenty of sunshine inbetween the snow......it's not as if we are in, um, Minnesota..

I am gonna take a glass-blowing class in Loveland soon, probably after New Year's when things slow down for me....kinda excited about it.....

Go to the movies when you have cabin fever.....

Go to the malls.......Flatirons is a very nice one......

Have you ever thought of donating your time to a soup kitchen, hospital, etc.?

Last edited by Wurzig; 12-12-2011 at 03:40 AM..

Old 12-12-2011, 11:20 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
Regarding the weather, I think you just need to get used to a new temperature tolerance. There are days in the 60s in Colorado in November, I remember in 2009 riding my bike up the canyon in shorts on January first. I think you might just need to adjust that mid to high 50s and sun isn't really that cold, and you can still do the same outdoors things you did in the summer (but maybe with different gear/clothes). December was the coldest months in my 5 winters in CO, and the great thing about CO is that you get these random days of warmth in the middle of the winter, you just have to utilize them. Yes there are cold days in the winter (two winters ago I rode to work and it was -25 out), but FoCo does not have the sustained cold that you would experience in Minnesota or even a mountain town in CO.

As for local places, you will need to go to the Norther side of town. The south side is all really new, and I don' think you'll find what you are looking for there.

Crown Pub is a good start. If you're looking for sit down, we liked the Moot House on college. Even though they're not sit down, Avogadro's number is great, and they always have something going on, whether it be open mic night or dance lessons. Coopersmiths is good, as is Austin's (though a little touristy). I think you will find more order at the counter and find a seat places in Fort Collins, due to the college. But there are some great places for that style of dining. We really miss the Pickle Barrel, Cafe Mexicali, and La Luz. And there's always the Charcoal Broiler (which is maybe too local).

Again none of these places are on the South side, but it's not that far to get to Old Town.
I think Dave is right on with the climate. It's not really cold, just cold my your Florida standards. You will acclimate eventually. The best thing to do is buy yourself some quality outdoor gear so you can be out in the elements without freezing. There will be some days where it's bitter cold and you don't want to go out, but make sure to go out and enjoy the warmer 50 degree days so you don't get cabin fever.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
...the climate. It's not really cold, just cold my your Florida standards. You will acclimate eventually. The best thing to do is buy yourself some quality outdoor gear so you can be out in the elements without freezing. ...
Ah, yes... get educated on layering. And get a nice pair of polyprop long underwear. (very light and thin). & Decent series of warm socks (graduated weights). Maybe you need a winter shopping trip to Cabelas in Sidney, NE to appreciate Ft Collins.

I would love to be back in Colorado, even tho our temps have less swing, BUT... 285 days / yr of overcast and 200 with measurable rain (not counting many with drizzle only) I too am freezing (even at 40f w/ 100% humidity and 40 mph wind), I come to Colorado in winter to see the sun and 'warm up.' I really enjoyed Colorado and rode my bike to work year round. Those days (nights) with chinook winds, and snow gone by morning are amazing, as well as running chores in shirt sleeves on sunny winter days. I will be sure to be back for Valentines Day in Loveland. Feb is a perfect time to leave the PNW (as is Nov through May).

Things to do in afternoon / evening: (what my NoCo friends do)
Enjoy the many trails you have access to in Ft Collins / Loveland / Horsetooth / Estes Park.
join a music, photography, dancing, travel, hiking group, book club, Bible, religious, or history Study.
Work at soup kitchen
Get a PT job at a Starbucks for healthcare benefits
Volunteer at library for story time or reference help.
Get into swimming (Masters if older).
City league sports of all kinds
Write a book
teach classes for businesses, hospitals, colleges
Volunteer with after school mentoring
Take classes (cooking, to geology)

Old 12-12-2011, 01:18 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
join a music, photography, dancing, travel, hiking group, book club, Bible, religious, or history Study.
This is the sort of thing I look forward to in FoCo. We have one (ONE) club where I live, and it's named after the town itself, so I figure even it is more of an unofficial city council than anything. So it's nice to know Fort Collins has interests... I mean, 'interest groups'.

My town doesn't have either.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:12 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,004 times
Quote:
Ah, yes... get educated on layering. And get a nice pair of polyprop long underwear. (very light and thin). & Decent series of warm socks (graduated weights). Maybe you need a winter shopping trip to Cabelas in Sidney, NE to appreciate Ft Collins.
NO NO NO! They need to go to Sierra Trading Post in Cheyenne, WY! That place is spectacular, has amazing deals, and because it's the distribution center too, you can try out ANYTHING in their online store or catalog without having to buy it. I REALLY miss easy access to Sierra Trading Post, and they have GREAT outdoor gear (as well as a lot of high end fashion stuff?).
Make sure you go into the very back room (or thirds as they call it), it's all the returns and they are marked with VERY good prices.

The Italian place in Old Town is Bisetti's, and it's definitely not too bad.

Pub Trivia is very popular in the Fort (what with the college and all), though not a family activity if that's what you're looking for.

Make sure you check out the Farm at Lee Martinez park if you have kids.
Disc golf is also very popular in the Fort with 4-5 courses (Edora park's is AMAZING). Chech out the Wright life in Old Towne to get some used discs to get started.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:45 AM

127 posts, read 234,553 times
Quote:
Maybe you need a winter shopping trip to Cabelas in Sidney, NE to appreciate Ft Collins.

Or Jax, north of FoCo. Nice store. Good products. Reasonable prices.

If you can't stay warm, you're not doing it right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area