Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 10:03 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2279 View Post
Only areas where driving is ever a concern regarding snow are the I-70 corridor and the mountain towns, and that's pretty much it.
BS. Massive BS.

The weather patterns at this time of the year are highly variable. You learn to pay attention to the weather forecasts, current conditions, and road reports. Traffic density in the area is now such that the major radio stations broadcast road report updates frequently throughout the day (10 mins intervals during rush hours, and more alerts as needed). You may find that on a given day, it can be very clear and easy travels, or a massive storm in progress, or a black ice day ... or any combination thereof.

As one who has spent years commuting on the I-25 corridor North of Denver doing the Erie-Littleton commute, and more recently, years of Cheyenne to Denver sales trips ....

I've seen the stretches of slick that I-25 presents. In fact, it's not the snow accumulation on this road north of Hwy 52 at I-25 that is the problem on the highway to Fort Collins, it's the North facing descents.

I-25 through this stretch is far from "flat", it's rolling hills with nominally gentle rises and falls. But the problem is the north facing descents don't get much sunshine so are prime areas for the formation of "black ice".

Many of the multiple car accidents that occur along I-25 are in this stretch north of exit 232. What happens is that folk are driving reasonably northbound on the flat and ascending portions of the road, only to crest a hill and descend on the black ice. It's not uncommon for there to be vehicles on the road ahead of them that are out of control, perhaps already in a collision with another vehicle. For a lot of drivers, it's impossible to stay on the road in control and avoid the stopped accidents in front of them due to those slick conditions. The result is oft times another car plowing into those already stopped or taking an off-road excursion as they avoid the other vehicles.

PS: I-70 is much tamer than I-25 for drivers, if for no better reason than it presents a more consistent poor road surface so folk slow down accordingly. I-25, OTOH, lulls people into thinking that it's all OK to drive 45-50-60 mph on the hardpack to cleared surfaces (the tire ruts down to solid pavement) and then they crest the hills to discover a sheet of black ice ahead where maintaining control is difficult and braking action response nil. That observation only after having made well over a thousand wintertime trips between Denver and Vail or Aspen over 50 years in the area and with a 2nd home in Vail for over 32 years.

Please also note that the basin where Ft Collins sits can get some pretty serious snowfall events which has CDOT closing the road. Years ago, when the traffic count was far less than it is today, CDOT was not so aggressive about closing the road and would let drivers have at it using their own discretion. But in more recent years, there's simply way too many folk driving without the skills, judgement, or equipment ... and the numbers of accidents, even if only off-road excursions without injuries, is much higher. It's a big strain on the resources of the 1st responders to have to deal with so many "accidents" these days, so it's prudent on the part of CDOT to close the road to traffic so that they don't have to go after so many minor ... and potentially major ... accidents.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-21-2016 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 11:29 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
The thread just concerns getting between the airport and Fort Collins. Some of the posts have gone beyond that into irrelevant areas. I'm assuming we're only talking about the toll road and I-25, not I-70.

As most have posted, it's not generally a difficult drive. The only caveat would be if the driving happened to take place during a significant snowstorm. The driving would be a lot slower, and more caution would be needed, but it's still a fairly straightforward drive on flat and fairly straight roads. The toll roads have more variation, but less traffic.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:34 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegevisitor View Post
Thank you both for your prompt replies. Kid wants to go to college/live in Colorado so I guess we better get used to it!
Tell him/her to do their best to avoid driving in the Denver metro area during rush hours. It can be rather congested and even if the roads are dry it can be scary for a driver not used to it.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Tell him/her to do their best to avoid driving in the Denver metro area during rush hours. It can be rather congested and even if the roads are dry it can be scary for a driver not used to it.
The OP stated "from the Denver airport to Fort Collins", so again.... they only need to use the toll road and I-25. That completely bypasses metro Denver, and makes the majority of Denver not an issue. That part of the toll road is in fairly rural lands. They purposely routed it beyond the big city.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 02-23-2016 at 09:36 AM..

Old 02-28-2016, 03:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
The OP stated "from the Denver airport to Fort Collins", so again.... they only need to use the toll road and I-25. That completely bypasses metro Denver, and makes the majority of Denver not an issue. That part of the toll road is in fairly rural lands. They purposely routed it beyond the big city.
That is funny.... I do the DEN > FC monthly for many yrs and have never taken 470 (especially in a rental car .... Daily rates apply, even if you use 470 for 5 min in a month long rental ) there are plenty of ez cheap / safe and cleared roads as options

Generally the trip will be dry and uneventful, but..... Be wise and cautious and keep a long following distance. If the rare event of a March COLD wndy blizzard... Consider alternative, or wait till tomorrow. I-25 carries lots of commuters, avoid their traffic times. It is only an hour drive, so stop for a meal and let the traffic / weather dispurse.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:33 PM

18 posts, read 17,801 times
Pending no snowstorm, you'll be fine! Though when I drove from Denver to Foco in early February during that last storm I must of seen about 30 accidents.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:38 AM

Again, you can pay some extra bucks and go around Metro Denver via the tollway (which is a light drive with mostly open land scenery), or skimp and add more miles and time to your drive, going through a heavily-urban area. Some folks only look at the bottom line ($), while others look at the convenience and comfort factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area