Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2016, 11:30 PM

3 posts, read 2,571 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering retiring to Fort Collins. The move would include our 7 year old grandson who has Sensory Processing Disorder and social issues (though he is not on the spectrum). We would be leaving CA, and a wonderful school district with superb Special Education.

From what I've been reading, CO is far behind us in SPED, though Northern CO seems to be significantly better then Southern. I've unfortunately been reading some disturbing information about Poudre School District (the most recent, the suicides of two middle school students).

We are not locked in to Fort Collins, but we have both visited there and loved the area, so that's where we started our search.

I'm looking for input from other special needs parents about their experiences (good and bad)

I'm taking it all in with a grain of salt. I plan on talking to schools/districts directly, but I'm trying to narrow it down.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-16-2016 at 09:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 12:51 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
Besides the needs of your grandson, make sure your needs as a couple could be fulfilled in northern CO. I've found the FC area to have less in many ways, compared to more varied areas around the country (and near the coast). My wife and I moved here, and were planned on retiring and spending the rest of our time here, but this area is lacking in many things we had before. It seems more ideally suited for the young, the wealthy, and those who connect with mountain/western culture. It might be a great fit for those groups, but might not be so good for the rest of us. It also can come across as a small town, and won't have as much to offer as places with say 300k and over. It's boring even in the working years; I can't imagine what "retirement" would look like.

Coming from CA, keep in mind the weather and regional differences, and that winter (and winter-ish landscape appearance) will dominate the year. Dryness rules the land too.

Your retirement years should be a plus and improvement. Please look at the "big picture" and consider many daily aspects of life that might change negatively.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 04-16-2016 at 01:03 PM..

Old 04-17-2016, 04:27 PM

13 posts, read 19,683 times
Hello,

In my own relocation research, I always did appreciate the varying opinions I found on this board. Of course it has to all be taken with a grain of salt and the understanding that "everyones situation is different". That being said, I am a Special Education teacher and I can confirm that PSD is lacking in their knowledge of the laws and teaching for children on IEPs. I do believe some schools are better than others...but our daughter qualified for their preschool program and spent that year watching disney movies until we pulled her out. There were several times where students privacy rights were violated, and I do believe one school was sued by a parent, another family I know moved back to CA.

We have since left FoCo and I can say that I do miss Old Town, the Breweries, the amazing outdoor programs and biking/hiking trails. They are some of the best around. However I have had no regrets as an educator leaving for a better quality education for my kids. I agree that Colorado is lacking as a whole. But in our experience, even among the wonderful people and teachers we met in FoCo, PSD admin is still living in the 80s and most of the leadership has no clue what it is doing.

Your experience could be completely different, but as you mentioned I would definitely research carefully and visit schools before making a decision.

Best of Luck.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Do give Loveland / Thompson R2J a good look. It is a pretty good community and personable school district. Of course it won't have the vast resources of a larger sized / urban focused CA SD. They should be able to infom you and provide reasonable services and excellent feedback.

Also, nearby Greeley has education centric UNC, and it could be a good resource for locating SD and programs statewide. There are some very nice areas to live in Greeley, and it has a strong retiree community and good medical.

Our family has generations of teachers, and currently 4 SE teachers. That has been a very difficult career / transitional period. Many school districts are managed by administrators who are hopelessly unqualified. (Retain your persistance)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area