Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,702 times

Advertisements

So, I'm strongly considering moving to Fort Collins for a few months or maybe even the whole summer. I work online and I move from place to place frequently.

It's really important to me that I have access to some quality mountain hiking trails. I understand that Colorado has become a rather popular state as of late, so I don't mind having to drive a few hours to find the best spots that aren't a total tourist circus. But I'm wondering if that's even possible, or if there's even good hiking in the greater northern Colorado/southern Wyoming area at all.

I've heard of some other towns in the west, such as in Montana, recommended for great hiking opportunities very close by, but I think they're too small for me, even for a short time. And big cities are too expensive and crowded. College towns are a good balance, plus I have a friend there already, which is always a plus.

So how's the hiking in the Northern Colorado/Ft Collins region? And based on my description, is there somewhere else, in Colorado or beyond, that might be better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 08:07 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
What kind of hiking are you looking for? Personally while the hiking in the Fort is decent, I prefer the stuff closer to Denver & Boulder more. There's more variety here, and better access to 14ers if you're into hiking those. Fort Collins is closer to Rocky Mountain National Park, but that place is a damn madhouse between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

OTOH, you can sneak up into Southern Wyoming easily from Fort Collins and probably have more solitude than you will on most Front Range trails.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,702 times
Thank you, this is just the kind of info I'm looking for. I'm looking for impressive views of snowy mountains with forests and lakes below. I don't have to hike up at 14er, but I do want to be in the heart of the mountains. So the hiking closer to Denver & Boulder is better even though it's presumably more crowded?

Have you snuck up to Southern Wyoming? How are the trails there?

Old 03-02-2017, 09:35 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv969 View Post
Thank you, this is just the kind of info I'm looking for. I'm looking for impressive views of snowy mountains with forests and lakes below. I don't have to hike up at 14er, but I do want to be in the heart of the mountains. So the hiking closer to Denver & Boulder is better even though it's presumably more crowded?

Have you snuck up to Southern Wyoming? How are the trails there?
If you want views of forests and lakes below you then you're gonna need to get above timberline (or you won't be able to see anything). With a few exceptions, the mountain lakes here are mostly small (and cold). If you can afford to live there, then check out a place like Buena Vista or Salida. They're both small so broadband connectivity may be an issue but they're both right up against the Sawatch Range smack dab in the mountains. Leadville's also another possibility, but it's tinier than the other 2.

The Front Range Corridor itself is not forested; it's on the plains. Living in that environment may or may not be a turn off - depending on what you're used to.

As for Southern Wyoming, I have not hiked there, but I know folks who hike in the Snowy Range Mountains every year and love it.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
For PT / temp living in CO with good hiking.... Live in Estes Park for awhile (hiking 5-10 min away) You can always run down to Boulder or Ft Collins for social stuff (if you must).

Then consider areas near Aspen / Maroon Bells / Glenwood (if you need cheaper housing and a job)

Durango / Crested Butte / all very nice for hiking.

Southern WY is more of a weekend spot / 2-3 day in Snowy Range then a day or two in Vedauwoo (if you like BIG rocks!)
https://www.google.com/search?q=Veda...2vCEcQ_AUIBygC
We often took our motorcycles from Estes Park to Vedauwoo or Snowy Range (AFTER work on long summer nights). You can do a RT over Trail Ridge (HWY 34) / Walden, CO and back down through Laramie and still be home before midnight (considerably slower via car)

When you finish Colorado, head to Moab (shoulder season, can be HOT in summer).

Idaho Falls is nice too, and near NW WY. (Tetons / bighorns is really worth a summer)

Idaho has MUCH back country, and some good rafting

Old 03-16-2017, 04:51 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Near Ft Collins, head up the Poudre to Cameron Pass and check out Lake Agnes, although the trail stays snowed in until July.

Even closer, but nearer Boulder is the Indian Peaks area just south of RMNP. Go to the Brainard Lake Recreation area and do one of the trails there, or hit up any number of trails in RMNP itself, particularly several of the trails near Glacier Gorge and Bear Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area