Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,643 times

Advertisements

Hi all-

My husband and I will be moving to Ft Collins this June as he has been hired at Colorado State University.

We grew up in a college town similar to Ft. Collins (Iowa City, IA) but since we haven't spent much time in Ft Collins, we need some input on neighborhoods.

We have spent the past 5 years living in an apartment in San Jose, CA so one of our requirements is either a small rental house or townhouse/condo (no more apartment complexes!) =)

We also would like to be located in areas where a lot of people our age live (late 20's, early 30's) but not in neighborhoods with the CSU students.

Do these criteria bring any neighborhoods to mind? More info: we are very active (sports, outdoors) and we love to eat out; those 2 things take up most of our time outside of work! Hopefully that will give you all a good starting point.

We will be in town searching for places next weekend so I truly appreciate whatever advice you can lay on me!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 08:22 AM

718 posts, read 1,985,985 times
There are lots of good places to live in Fort Collins. If you avoid the areas immediately adjacent (within +- .25-.5 mile north, east, south, and 1.25 mile west) to the campus, you will avoid much of the student population, but be aware that students live in many parts of town. The Old Town area has some nice homes close to some cool dining and entertainment options. Most of the main dining options are in Old Town, up and down the College Avenue corridor, the east Harmony corridor, and the Campus West area on west Elizabeth.
The west side of town provides easier access to the mountains for hiking, mountain biking, climbing, etc.
Except during the time around 4:30 - 5:30pm, you can get most anywhere in town in about 20 minutes.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,530 times
Would love to hear what you found, slash, as we're in a similar situation. I'm also wondering about property managers. There are so many. I'd probably like to avoid those that cater to students, as they're probably not a good match, but I don't know which ones those may be. I am looking for + or - feedback on property managers. I know in my current town there's one I would definitely want to avoid.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:06 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times
I've known a lot of grad students who've lived in the southwestern part of town. I'm talking like south of Prospect and west of Shields. I also knew a couple of grad students and instructors who lived southeast of College and Prospect. Not sure if that's old enough for you, but any neighborhood in the areas I've mentioned will more likely than not have young families living in it. Any housing complex south of Drake will almost certainly not be dominated by undergrads.

Your husband could possibly ask his future colleagues for any ideas.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Rent somewhere for a year, and then move on if you don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area