Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:50 PM

259 posts, read 1,324,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
casual observer-

I don't see that scenario happening anytime soon. Maybe in 25-30 years. As long as our economy continues to decline and we face economic armegedon with the debt ceiling about to hit, this country (especially South FL) is in for tough times.

In the meantime, I think the original poster would be safer buying in East Pompano than the area mentioned west of I95. East Pompano is safer, nicer, and closer to the water. IMO areas closer to the water have higher growth potential under your scenario.

I understand that sentiment, but we'll have to agree to disagree for the time being.

I agree east Pompano or LbtS are not bad choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 12:38 AM

58 posts, read 175,348 times
I think a lot of the people who respond with reservations to these neighborhoods are people who never lived in NYC, Phila or other parts of the Northeast. And, possibly have the money to live in Coral Ridge or The better part of Victoria Park. People will always stay to stay east of US1, but that is impossible for middle class people who make a modest salary, plus there is not enough real estate to go around. They fail to mention that ghettos begin immediately west on US1, for instance, South Middle River, Progresso Point, easten Oakland Park, Wilton Manors is no paradise either.

I say cruise the area at night, see whats walking around and hopefully get a good vibe. I did that when I moved to Sunnyside, Queens, sure there was crime and diversity, but the best and happiest place I ever lived in NYC.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky View Post
I think a lot of the people who respond with reservations to these neighborhoods are people who never lived in NYC, Phila or other parts of the Northeast. And, possibly have the money to live in Coral Ridge or The better part of Victoria Park. People will always stay to stay east of US1, but that is impossible for middle class people who make a modest salary, plus there is not enough real estate to go around. They fail to mention that ghettos begin immediately west on US1, for instance, South Middle River, Progresso Point, easten Oakland Park, Wilton Manors is no paradise either.

I say cruise the area at night, see whats walking around and hopefully get a good vibe. I did that when I moved to Sunnyside, Queens, sure there was crime and diversity, but the best and happiest place I ever lived in NYC.
Do you enjoy reviving dead threads?

I'm confused as to what your point is. On one hand, you imply the bad neighborhoods of Fort Lauderdale aren't as bad as NYC or Philly, and on the other hand you say ghettos begin immediately west of US1. Which is it?

You say middle class people can't afford to live east. Yes, that is why we have western suburbs where there is affordable middle class housing. The bad areas of Fort Lauderdale are the ones in between the east and west areas. There are plenty of areas for middle class people to move here without it being a ghetto. We were just referring to the ghettoish areas between US1 and the Turnpike, roughly speaking.

I visit NYC quite often and I have been to every corner of the 5 boroughs. Honestly, there was nowhere that really scared me. The Bronx wasn't as bad as I thought. Queens had some rough looking areas, but nowhere I wouldn't be afraid to get out of my car and walk. NYC isn't bad at all. Not like some of the hoods you find in Miami, Detroit, LA, or Atlanta. NYC residents don't have guns and that alone makes it much safer. In other cities you could get shot or held at gunpoint. I don't have as much experience with Philly, other than visiting once.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:27 PM

Go to Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed Hollywood not looking so bad.

Last edited by Yac; 02-13-2013 at 07:10 AM..

Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 PM

BTW...Nolefan, what are your credentials that make you such a great resource? You have a lot of opinions but you say the same thing over and over--stay east of US1 and west of the TPK.

You said I revive dead threads? You engage in everyone one and give nothing of substance.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:45 PM

443 posts, read 896,334 times
Nolefan is 100% correct about the good and bad areas. Of course there are a few exceptions, but for the most part, the area between US 1 and the turnpike is pretty sketchy. And I'm guessing that Nolefan's credentials are the same as mine -- long time residency in south Florida. I've been here for 61 years and I've seen the areas change. What are your credentials, cricky?

Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricky View Post
BTW...Nolefan, what are your credentials that make you such a great resource? You have a lot of opinions but you say the same thing over and over--stay east of US1 and west of the TPK.

You said I revive dead threads? You engage in everyone one and give nothing of substance.
I'm just a guy with an opinion. I did not realize credentials were required to post on a message board. What are your credentials? What information do you have to offer besides opinions? Why do you re-open old threads from 2 years ago as if they were posted yesterday?

Old 02-02-2013, 09:43 AM

40 posts, read 82,735 times
Was wondering if anyone can elaborate on some more info, that was mentioned above about the safety and better area of looking to purchase Home/Townhouse in East Pompano, Thanx

Old 12-02-2015, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 654 times
I bought a condo at the Lakeview club this July 2015 moved in this past weekend to find squatters in the condo. Police were called. Squatters are found in million dollar mansions so I don't know what to say. I'm hoping this was an isolated incident.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:11 PM

224 posts, read 229,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanbag33 View Post
I bought a condo at the Lakeview club this July 2015 moved in this past weekend to find squatters in the condo. Police were called. Squatters are found in million dollar mansions so I don't know what to say. I'm hoping this was an isolated incident.
This pretty much sums it up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
The way I would describe the area is a small pocket of half-decent apartment complexes amongst a vast sea of poverty stricken ghetto areas. The area is very transient and you generally see lower income tenants with poor credit living there. You can walk outside alone at night inside of your own complex, but I wouldn't stray too far. Oakland Park Blvd is generally a low class area with lots of vagrants hanging out on the sidewalks. I imagine there are lots of home-invasion burglaries and property crimes in those parts.
While it's nice to hope that it was an isolated incident insomuch as million-dollar mansions can have squatters too, usually the squatters at million-dollar mansions targeted said piece of property because they already had some sort of "homesteaded" connection to it, be it as an evicted tenant or a family member/acquaintance.

But the Lakeview Club/Forest Park area?

Hell, they were probably just passing through and saw the mail piling up out of the mailbox for that particular unit.

Or they were tipped off by the office...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area