Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 03:39 PM

75 posts, read 175,215 times

Advertisements

Checked out the Hard-rock but full of older folks, checked out downtown, it was not a lot of young professionals there. Im a little bit lost here FLL, help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 04:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
I do not know, I never went around and asked people if they had a college degree or not, because I really do not care if they do. I also never asked anyone their age, because I do not care (do not read too much into that one!).

Old 11-08-2011, 05:24 PM

159 posts, read 558,827 times
club uranus

Old 11-08-2011, 05:34 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,885 times
welcome to south florida...they hang out in nyc, dallas, houston, austin, denver, atlanta, DC, Seattle, San Diego, Boston, Chicago and other such places that have reasons to attract and retain young, educated, talented people. enjoy lauderdale

Old 11-09-2011, 12:16 PM

328 posts, read 1,396,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphantmale View Post
Checked out the Hard-rock but full of older folks, checked out downtown, it was not a lot of young professionals there. Im a little bit lost here FLL, help me out.
As a younger college-educated guy who just moved back to Chicago from Fort Lauderdale, I thought I would chime in.

Your best bet is either the Riverfront area after work for Happy Hour or near the Las Olas area for that. The Riverfront is a lot of business people after work, but later in the night becomes a huge party scene and it's a lot less of the after work crowd and more of the "get drunk and rowdy" crowd (which I have happily participated in before).

To be honest, there isn't really a great scene for young professionals there, one of the many reasons that I left. I think those are your best bets, and also try joining a younger sports league. A friend of mine who used to live in the area joined a sports league and met a lot of other young professionals organized outings with them (happy hours, trips to the Keys, etc.), but it was difficult to organize.

As a last point of contact, ask your younger co-workers where they go after work on a Friday or something. I think that YOLO on Las Olas would be a good call to try, as long as you can stand a super high "Douchebag Factor" that permeates near that area.

Good Luck!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:09 AM

16 posts, read 37,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
welcome to south florida...they hang out in nyc, dallas, houston, austin, denver, atlanta, DC, Seattle, San Diego, Boston, Chicago and other such places that have reasons to attract and retain young, educated, talented people. enjoy lauderdale
HAhaaaa!!! Sad but true

Old 11-10-2011, 05:27 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,468,502 times
JSnFla-

You seem miserable. If you hate it here so much, why not move to one of those cities you mentioned?

Old 11-10-2011, 05:28 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,468,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphantmale View Post
Go to YOLO and Vibe located downtown. Those are the best places for young professionals. Unfortunately, there is no central area here other than Las Olas for nightlife. You may want to join a group or club.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:25 PM

75 posts, read 175,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
thanks alot I appreciate it

Old 11-16-2011, 11:00 AM

22 posts, read 52,292 times
Look into groups like the Young Professionals of Covenant House... Covenant House is a charity for homeless or troubled youth, the YP's do fundraising / social events etc. Also look into groups (check-out meet up.com) like running or outdoor activities where you will meet other young professionals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
View detailed profiles of: