Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,094 times

Advertisements

When renewing your license in Florida at an DMV office, is a new eye exam required for everyone renewing or just for people over the age of 80?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 09:36 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,500 times
Just renewed in December and I had to take the eye exam - and I'm definitely not 80!

BTW, I waited until the last minute and the only appointment I could get as soon as I needed it was the office down near Homestead. When I got there, it turned out I didn't need an appointment because there was only one person ahead of me. I was in and out in 15 minutes! Very nice people there too. Disclaimer: it is right nextt door to the probation office but I had no problems.

I took my son two weeks later to get his learner's permit at the office on Oakland Park Blvd. It took two and and a half hours (no appointment though) and that was with everything done on-line ahead of time. When we walked in, a woman and her daugher were getting in the appointment line. They left only 15 minutes before we did.

If you are not doing an appointment, make sure the office is open. Due to budget cutbacks, they've been closing offices on Fridays when Monday is a holiday as well. Also, check online to make sure you have all your documents. They ask for much more nowadays at renewal.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:24 PM

83 posts, read 312,738 times
They only asked me to read the letters on a specific line from a machine that you put your eyes on and whether you're wearing contact lenses.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:42 PM

389 posts, read 1,084,235 times
Seems to me like it is hit or miss. I went to a Hialeah office. Made an appointment and was in and out in 30 minutes or so. No eye exam for me.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:43 PM

18 posts, read 54,960 times
U.S. citizens and immigrants who have been issued a Florida driver license since 2002 may renew on-line with no eye test https://services.flhsmv.gov/VirtualOffice/

Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 AM

37 posts, read 113,783 times
You can renew online, but only once (I did my online renewal years ago). After that, you have to renew in-person (I just did this last week, I had to drive to Belle Glade just to get an appointment, everything else was booked till May). It took about 15 minutes, I had to read one line on an eye chart.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:01 AM

389 posts, read 1,084,235 times
That is correct mes. You can renew once on line. the next time it is an in-person renewal at the DMV. I had o do it in November as I stated above.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:38 PM

238 posts, read 576,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mes271 View Post
You can renew online, but only once (I did my online renewal years ago). After that, you have to renew in-person (I just did this last week, I had to drive to Belle Glade just to get an appointment, everything else was booked till May). It took about 15 minutes, I had to read one line on an eye chart.
Just curious...but when you read that line on the eye chart, did you have to do 1 eye at a time or just both together?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area