Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 AM

18 posts, read 24,495 times

Advertisements

I want to move for a lot of reasons other then the weather. I am hoping to move to West Palm after I find work. Jobs pay well here but cost of living is through the roof and it's sooooo boaring. I hate snow. I'll be glad if I never see it again. I hate season change. It just means I'll be getting sick soon. It's super fast paced here to. It gets old. I want to slow down and relax. Go to the beach. In Florida you can't go out in the summer during the day but you can go out at night. Here you just plane can't go out in the winter months and in the summer you can't go out during the day. Don't even get me started on the traffic situation in Boston! It's horrendous! We have narrow cow path roads that were designed to confuse to British solders! I have good family here and in Texas. If the worst case seniro happens then we can fall back but I am a work animal. Once someone sees this in me I will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 11:31 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonPitbull View Post
I want to move for a lot of reasons other then the weather. I am hoping to move to West Palm after I find work. Jobs pay well here but cost of living is through the roof and it's sooooo boaring. I hate snow. I'll be glad if I never see it again. I hate season change. It just means I'll be getting sick soon. It's super fast paced here to. It gets old. I want to slow down and relax. Go to the beach. In Florida you can't go out in the summer during the day but you can go out at night. Here you just plane can't go out in the winter months and in the summer you can't go out during the day. Don't even get me started on the traffic situation in Boston! It's horrendous! We have narrow cow path roads that were designed to confuse to British solders! I have good family here and in Texas. If the worst case seniro happens then we can fall back but I am a work animal. Once someone sees this in me I will be fine.
I like it here. I moved from the NY suburbs 10 years ago. My husband is an attorney and has started his own firm here in FL. I am not writing from a position of bitterness but you need to be realistic about your life in order to be happy here.

There is no cold weather but there is very hot weather for about half the year. Think of the inevitable summer heat wave that hits up north for a week or so every summer. Now think of 6 months of weather like that. Some people can't take it. Some love it. Know yourself.

Don't think you will be escaping traffic by leaving Boston. The roads are not as confusing though. I always get lost when I am in the Boston area.

If you are hoping to escape the big destructive storms Fort Lauderdale is probably not the place for you. Storms hit the Fort Lauderdale area more frequently than Boston. In addition to the big storms there are daily thunderstorms that can cause localized damage in the summer. These occur throughout the southern part of FL and are not limited to Fort Lauderdale.

If you are looking for a slower pace of life be prepared to be surprised. Fort Lauderdale is a relatively fast paced place to live. It is a bit slower than NY or Boston, but not dramatically slower.

The cost of living is not as low as wages. The large number of seniors with money push up prices for everyone but wages are low. This is just the way things are here and there is nothing you can do about it. You may be able to get employment in the insurance industry. If your fiance makes $12 per hour in Boston she will be a minimum wage employee here. Be prepared.

Good luck. FL is a mix of good and bad. You just have to figure out if it is the right mix for you.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:05 PM

46 posts, read 65,161 times
Y can't u go out at daytime in the summer? I'm assuming u r exaggerating. When I was there in July, I was out exploring and doing things. I think it was close to 100/upper 90's. Of course, u have to limit your exposure to the sun. Some people obviously have a better tolerance for the heat. I'm sure u will get sick of it as a resident. It wouldn't stop me from going to the beach or riding my bike or motorcycle, etc. though. I'm not trying to start anything with u. But, if u think u can't go out in the summer in Boston in the day, u have no business moving to s. florida! I'm sure many will agree with me on that.

Quote:
In Florida you can't go out in the summer during the day but you can go out at night. Here you just plane can't go out in the winter months and in the summer you can't go out during the day.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:58 PM

12 posts, read 22,286 times
Quote:
This seems contradictory.

The advice that has been offered already is sound (and quite frankly, should already be known): you should either have a definite job before moving or having 6-12 months of savings to last you

Seems like you just don't want to accept it

Old 02-10-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmallchild View Post
This seems contradictory.

The advice that has been offered already is sound (and quite frankly, should already be known): you should either have a definite job before moving or having 6-12 months of savings to last you

Seems like you just don't want to accept it
Im a hard worker. That won't change. What are you commenting on a SFL fourm if you live in NYC anyway? Yankee lover.

Last edited by BostonPitbull; 02-10-2013 at 01:25 PM..

Old 02-10-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc8869 View Post
Y can't u go out at daytime in the summer? I'm assuming u r exaggerating. When I was there in July, I was out exploring and doing things. I think it was close to 100/upper 90's. Of course, u have to limit your exposure to the sun. Some people obviously have a better tolerance for the heat. I'm sure u will get sick of it as a resident. It wouldn't stop me from going to the beach or riding my bike or motorcycle, etc. though. I'm not trying to start anything with u. But, if u think u can't go out in the summer in Boston in the day, u have no business moving to s. florida! I'm sure many will agree with me on that.
I ve lived in Florida and worked outside the whole time. I am aware of the temp. I love it.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:06 PM

274 posts, read 239,199 times
Quote:
Yea, I'm not trying to argue about wether or not I should go. I am trying to figure out if I should delay it until I have a solid job. The problem is it's tough to get one from here. I have noticed that a lot of people in Folrida (espically the ones who are from there) love to bash it and tell people from here not to bother. I can't really vacation due to the fact that I have a handicapped pitbull that I can't pawn off on someone for a week due to his condition. He is only 7 so he could be around for another 5+ years. Also, I did move there once before and I loved it. It wasn't SFL but I got a feel for things there ie climate, culture, etc. The only reason I left is because I needed to tend to some personal issues and get my life on track (over 5 years sober now). I don't know if Floridians just have a hair accross their ass because they don't like us coming there and taking jobs, etc and that's why they tell us not to come but it sure seems that way.

Pitbull,

I don't think it has to do with Northerners showing up and competing for work. Let me say... I live in Northern Va. Think Washington, DC suburbs. I grew in Broward County (Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano Beach, Deerfield, Coral Springs. etc.) I moved north in 1999 to find good work in the Information Technology field and I have found that. I go back to South Florida several times a year for 10-14 days to see friends and family. So now that you know where I am coming from let me see if I can help give you some insight.

First, and most important based on your question as to whether to move now or wait. You have a fiance who works and sounds like could work in the service industry so that is good. You have a place to stay lined up. You have lived in Florida before and you sound as though you are willing to do whatever it takes to support yourself until you get into a job in your chosen field. I say you will be fine.

Second, Broward, Dade, and Palm Beach Counties are wayyyyyy different on a number of levels than any other part of Florida. What do I mean? Crime is bad, the economy is tough, and South Florida is a haven for con artists. Believe me on a level you cannot imagine.

Southeast Florida has many exciting things to do and great night life and is a completely unique experience that no other part of the U.S. can offer.

You have a strong Latin American and Caribbean influence in Culture and Architecture and Food. Miami is the Gateway to Latin America and the Caribbean. No state income tax. No property Tax on vehicles. No vehicle safety inspections. Oh, and the big one. No Snow.

We do have. Riots, Home Invasions, Car Jackings, Rapes, Murders, Property Theft, very bad gang problem, Scammers, counterfiters, drug dealers, human trafficking, prostitution, etc. Remember bad guys want to be warm.

No doubt this post won't get me a Job with sunny.org the official site of tourism for South Floirda. There is a reason why the TV show cops filmed more Episodes in Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties than any places in the U.S. Speaking of which Florida does have a Concealed Carry Permit for firearms and is a shall issue state. No open Carry yet but that may one day change.

Good luck to you. I believe you will be fine and South Florida can truely be Paradise or Pergatory. I may one day move back although not full time though. Either way you are guarenteed a great adventure and whether you chose to stay or go elsewhere you will have some cray stories.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 PM

309 posts, read 900,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
I think it would be wise to stay where you are for the time being. You have a good job currently. When a position opens up in Ft Lauderdale and you know it is serious then move down there. Being overly flighty and impulsive in this economy is foolish. I know it is cold up in Boston and The balmy air of south Florida beckons, but you will feel a lot better going down there when you are more financially secure.
Go down on a few vacation (warm your bones)/job search trips. Plan these trips around as many job fairs and interviews as you can manage. Apply to all levels of government jobs (city, state, county) as well as any other type work that has standardized application procedures. Don't actually move down until you've been working for at least a month. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:23 PM

389 posts, read 1,084,574 times
From one northerner to another, wait till you have something lined up. Just be patient and you will make it down here eventually. There ahve been too many who have tried to do what you are doing and have failed. And the way the economy is right now, there is no telling when you will find a decent job.

Just do things the correct way is all I'm saying.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 AM

984 posts, read 4,318,031 times
Follow these two last posts, they're right on point. Things are tough in this area, especially the economy, jobs and wages. You should probably consider other areas in FL as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area