Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:55 PM

87 posts, read 157,879 times

Advertisements

Im moving back to south florida to be with my family and unfortunately, I have a much lower income than them and am having a very hard time locating any areas that I can possibly live in...I can only afford a studio at best and I have seen a few near Hollywood and FT Lauderdale beach..i know my price range is ridiculously low, but I live on disability ;( Looking no more than $800 a month, if that..seeing some shabby looking studios for $700-900 but honestly, they kinda look run down ;(

Any suggestions I appreciate. Due to the cost, south florida wouldn't be my first place to live but this is where my family is.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 04:31 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,788,450 times
Maybe you can get section 8 or some type of assistance

Old 11-03-2014, 09:53 PM

yeah.im kinda hesistant because, having worked in social work before, I know that a lot of section 8 housing is in very undesirable neighborhoods ;(

Old 11-04-2014, 01:52 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
Would think from what I know about prices in the area for rentals your price range alone leaves you with not many options except maybe like you mentioned about section 8 only undesirable areas. Depends on monthly income as well. Many nicer places might say that your monthly income is too low. As you mention you are on disability. Sometimes you can get around that if you pay in advance if you have the money to do that. Some might even be willing if you give larger deposit. Been there before so giving you advice based on my experience being on disability as well.

Hope you find a place you are happy with & can afford.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:03 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,433 times
IMO for that type of money it is going to be very difficult to find much in good areas, may I suggest if you are over 55 looking in a senior development such as Century Villages and if not then possibly find someone who has a home with an efficiency attached.

A search of Hollywood came up with some choices you can look at and THIS one looked too good to be true. Good luck.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:06 AM

thanks No..im under 55..im 42 Yes, Ive seen studios in Hollywood for that price but really shabby ones..that one DOES look too good to be true LOL

Old 11-05-2014, 12:41 AM

4 posts, read 6,361 times
Fort Lauderdale is overrun with crime. Look in Deerfield, Lauderdale by the Sea, Dania if you want to be by the beach on a budget. Unfortunately the city of Fort Lauderdale is ruined in my opinion, the police cannot keep up with all of the drugs,criminal element,and homeless bums. There is litter,chaos,police helicopters, prostitution,and a huge meth problem here. I am leaving soon myself,I have never seen a city in such a state of neglect,its a shame and the police/government should be held accountable.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:13 AM

18 posts, read 19,255 times
You won't find an affordable place in fort lauderdale. Sorry. Rent is 2x what it is everywhere else. I know because I had to find a place for a new job and looked everywhere. You need a solid income to live in the area and it's VERY fast paced. You've got to be on your toes or you'll get run over. I'd look else where in your position.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:02 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
Maybe you can get section 8 or some type of assistance

there is no way to apply for section 8. The wait list is closed.

I know a lady who tried to apply on her own, she is physically disabled, under 62 and can't afford the rent now that her aunt died. Last I heard she did find some help in getting on some other kind of emergency list and she should get help soon

Last edited by LifeIsGood01; 11-17-2014 at 08:41 AM..

Old 11-17-2014, 08:40 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDatl404 View Post
You won't find an affordable place in fort lauderdale. Sorry. Rent is 2x what it is everywhere else. I know because I had to find a place for a new job and looked everywhere. You need a solid income to live in the area and it's VERY fast paced. You've got to be on your toes or you'll get run over. I'd look else where in your position.
Rent is not 2X as much as everywhere else. It's maybe 25% more than surrounding towns for the low end renter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area