Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 04:01 PM

565 posts, read 1,255,075 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be in Fort Lauderdale for a day on Friday - less than a full day, actually. But it's all I have. I'm driving eight hours to get there, so I want to make sure I do what I need to do and get what I need while I'm there, in case I am offered a job. So much can be done online or over the phone, and I know a special trip(s) will need to be made to make the really big decisions, but surely there are some things I could do while I'm there in person. I just don't want to have a "d'oh!" moment after I get back and say, "Why didn't I do fill-in-the-blank?"

What about items I could pick up while I'm there, like travel guides, area information, newspapers, etc? I'm taking my digital camera and camcorder to get a feel for the area for my wife for when I get back. Also, I don't expect to be able to get into all areas of FTL for a look-see, but maybe one or two.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 04:28 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,908,120 times
Are you going to the place where you'd be working? Where will your home base be? The intersection.

What time are you getting here and what time do you wanna leave?

I will post you a ft lauderdale neighborhoods map but you need to drive north south east and west from FLL so where's the starting point?

coming here on Turnpike I assume...?

And do you have a GPS in the car? Get the best map you can read in a car and study it ahead of time then bring it.

Google the zip code or address of your potential office too. Print that out. more later...........if you want I can tell you a method, I did that for 6 months straight.

But the streets are confusing at first.

Focus on Turnpike, I95, Federal Hwy (Route 1) , Commercial Blvd, Oakland Park Blvd, and University out west where Tamarac is...at first now. To get your bearings.

The North "end" would be Mc Nab or Atlantic Ave where Pompano starts depending where you'll work.

In between the Turnpike and University is the iffy section going west...more or less. Being east of I95 is better actually.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-08-2009 at 04:58 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 05:13 PM

Save these:

Some posters here know these neighborhoods really really well, each block. I only know the ones I investigated for me.

FLL is a city of neighborhoods, here's a good neighborhood map:

http://info.ci.ftlaud.fl.us/GIS/files/maps/neighborhood_associations.pdf (broken link)

list of some of the names of the neighborhoods:

List of neighborhoods in Fort Lauderdale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

neighborhood association contacts:

City of Fort Lauderdale - Homeowners Associations Contact List (http://ci.ftlaud.fl.us/neighborhoods/associations/contacts.htm - broken link)

keep in mind this is a city. you're going to be told stuff like there's a park 2 blocks over that's "sorta" safe for example...

Wilton Manors (close - feels like ft lauderdale) and the surrounding towns you could commute from depending on where....

Lauderdale by the Sea:
Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Florida Chamber of Commerce

Wilton Manors:
Wilton Manors -- Welcome to the City of Wilton Manors, Florida

Tamarac:
City of Tamarac

North Lauderdale:
City Of North Lauderdale

Plantation:
Plantation, The Grass is Greener - Official Website for the City of Plantation

Davie:
Welcome to Davie, Florida (http://www.davie-fl.gov/Pages/index - broken link)

When you drive back you can go up Federal or I95 if you want to see the northern towns but again, traffic but you can zoom off at Boca, drive around then get back on.......but it's not commutable really, just for comparison....

I forgot Weston....it's west of Tamarac by the Everglades on the map. not cheap.

You might be able to commute Coconut Creek, add that to your zooming trip if you want. My son's girlfriend took the turnpike every day to her job there.

EVERYTHING DEPENDS ON THE WORK LOCATION.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:15 PM

137 posts, read 425,806 times
If you only have a portion of the day, I would just get on the water taxi to see the intercostal and take it as far as you can go and just enjoy it. You can get on and off, have lunch or dinner. The weather has been incredible and I believe will be again tomorrow.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lshoupe View Post
If you only have a portion of the day, I would just get on the water taxi to see the intercostal and take it as far as you can go and just enjoy it. You can get on and off, have lunch or dinner. The weather has been incredible and I believe will be again tomorrow.
LOL he's trying to move his family here for work.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:44 PM

Here's a website with surrounding towns you can click on and see neighborhood's name and each type of housing and sale not rent prices:''

it gives the boundaries where it's located

it may not help or confuse you but you can keep it if you see a name of somewhere

Mainlands Tamarac are the ones I said have a couple three br or 2 br with family room

BrowardNeighborhoods.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area