Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 06:53 PM

28 posts, read 45,239 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

New here... I'm sure you guys get a lot of these requests and I appreciate any feedback. There's a strong possibility I'll be moving to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area from San Francisco Bay Area in the next month. Here is some relevant information to help:

- I'd working in North Ft. Lauderdale near Pampano Beach area
- Looking for an upscale walkable living area near shops/restaurants/parks/maybe beach
- I'm a single male in my early thirties, would be great to find an area with professionals that I can mingle with
- Coming from CA where rent is near $3.4-3.8k/month for an upscale 1br/1bath and salary wouldn't change, so I can afford a nice place. Ideally around $1.5k-2k/month or so (the more value the better)
- Also in CA, I often traveled a total of 3hrs a day to/from work, ideally would like a shorter commute but not opposed to a longer one for the right area.

Any recommendations of areas to check out? Is Miami a better option than Ft.Lauderdale? Any areas to avoid?

Please help! Thank you everyone in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 08:00 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
Near Pompano, Lauderdale by the Sea is very nice and walkable, with nice restaurants, but people who live there are older.

You way want to look into Galt Ocean Mile. I helped one of my clients to find a rental there and she loves it there. It is ON the beach.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:37 AM

389 posts, read 662,996 times
Check out downtown Fort Lauderdale/Las Olas. It has almost everything you want, and it's only about a 20-minute commute from where you'll be working. If you're willing to go to the upper end of your budget, you should be able to find something nice. And don't believe some of the posts elsewhere by a certain poster that contend that downtown isn't vibrant. The only one of your boxes downtown/Las Olas won't check off is that it isn't right next to the beach, but it's only about 1.5 miles -- a quick bike ride.

I like Lauderdale-by-the-Sea and Galt Ocean Mile, as well.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:29 AM

28 posts, read 45,239 times
Thanks for the information ! Very helpful.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:20 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Default Stay West Young Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahran View Post
Hello Everyone,

New here... I'm sure you guys get a lot of these requests and I appreciate any feedback. There's a strong possibility I'll be moving to Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area from San Francisco Bay Area in the next month. Here is some relevant information to help:

- I'd working in North Ft. Lauderdale near Pampano Beach area
- Looking for an upscale walkable living area near shops/restaurants/parks/maybe beach
- I'm a single male in my early thirties, would be great to find an area with professionals that I can mingle with
- Coming from CA where rent is near $3.4-3.8k/month for an upscale 1br/1bath and salary wouldn't change, so I can afford a nice place. Ideally around $1.5k-2k/month or so (the more value the better)
- Also in CA, I often traveled a total of 3hrs a day to/from work, ideally would like a shorter commute but not opposed to a longer one for the right area.

Any recommendations of areas to check out? Is Miami a better option than Ft.Lauderdale? Any areas to avoid?

Please help! Thank you everyone in advance!
Stay in California. Traffic is bad and crime is up. Just go to US about 11:30 at night. Blue lights every where. There is a reason many carry sides arms at night.

There is shortage of housing because of the NE plague that comes to Florida without a job , because they Hate NY Winters. It is really sad to see NY, NJ Tags here to stay in Florida. Isn't the NE suppose to be coming back?

I will be moving back to AZ soon as possible. Money and position is not everything.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:31 PM

Angry Do not Move to South Florida!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillons2 View Post
Check out downtown Fort Lauderdale/Las Olas. It has almost everything you want, and it's only about a 20-minute commute from where you'll be working. If you're willing to go to the upper end of your budget, you should be able to find something nice. And don't believe some of the posts elsewhere by a certain poster that contend that downtown isn't vibrant. The only one of your boxes downtown/Las Olas won't check off is that it isn't right next to the beach, but it's only about 1.5 miles -- a quick bike ride.

I like Lauderdale-by-the-Sea and Galt Ocean Mile, as well.
That is not real and the crowd of want to be crowd the night clubs nightly. Come on let's paint a accurate picture of South Florida.

Do not wonder from the protected areas that the rich claim. You find much of south Florida is run down. The over Latinzation is here and it is no longer cool. Matter of fact most forget what country they are in. Clue This is the United States of America.

I lived in Central Florida Came back due to Family and now I am looking to make jump to Wide Spaces and Blue clear skies!

Old 09-27-2015, 05:27 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times
It is all a matter of personal perspective, I have lived and worked all over broward county since the 80's, lived out west mostly and currently live on the east side of Ft. Lauderdale, I am out at all hours of the day and night and I have rarely seen a lot of blue lights flashing, I sure as heck do not know what part of this area Ghostrider lives in that he does.

Negative people are often negative about every place they live. The one word in his above post Latinzation tells me all that I need to know about his prospective, obviously being among different cultures must upset him, I am a white American and I enjoy different cultures, so if the op wants a place that is lily white, south Florida will not be for them but if they do not mind diverse cultures, then this area is just like any major city in America today.

Just as a point, Spanish speakers are all over Arizona too, I suspect GR will not be happy there either once he moves back.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:14 AM

Exclamation South florida has itsisuesand make sureyo really want to be here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
It is all a matter of personal perspective, I have lived and worked all over broward county since the 80's, lived out west mostly and currently live on the east side of Ft. Lauderdale, I am out at all hours of the day and night and I have rarely seen a lot of blue lights flashing, I sure as heck do not know what part of this area Ghostrider lives in that he does.

Negative people are often negative about every place they live. The one word in his above post Latinzation tells me all that I need to know about his prospective, obviously being among different cultures must upset him, I am a white American and I enjoy different cultures, so if the op wants a place that is lily white, south Florida will not be for them but if they do not mind diverse cultures, then this area is just like any major city in America today.

Just as a point, Spanish speakers are all over Arizona too, I suspect GR will not be happy there either once he moves back.
//////////
By Ft. Laud airport on US 1 and just south. Coral Gables one block over you will get mugged. Hialeah in General Bad..

Power line road one does not even see one Broward Sheriff. in the area, I call their office and they said Pompano PD covers that area around Atlantic. The Fact is on that day at the There was dealing of drugs, Prostitution and the Manager just let things ride.
Yes I was in the thick of things over the past years as a Guardsman.

Latinzation, meaning that there are many who try to make south Florida a up graded version where they have come from. Over balance any more and many Latinos expect you to speak Spanish. Wrong answer this is America.

In Arizona the balance is still there and the general excepted language is English.

Back to Florida the area we speaking to his back up every morning. there is about 750 thousand Car coming to work from broward and Boca, then you have the commuters coming up from Miami.

If you are determined to be here I would recommend WPB or Boca Raton. Please have a job before you come down.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:40 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times
Default Browad county is not perfect, what area really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
//////////
By Ft. Laud airport on US 1 and just south. Coral Gables one block over you will get mugged. Hialeah in General Bad..

Power line road one does not even see one Broward Sheriff. in the area, I call their office and they said Pompano PD covers that area around Atlantic. The Fact is on that day at the There was dealing of drugs, Prostitution and the Manager just let things ride.
Yes I was in the thick of things over the past years as a Guardsman.

Latinzation, meaning that there are many who try to make south Florida a up graded version where they have come from. Over balance any more and many Latinos expect you to speak Spanish. Wrong answer this is America.

In Arizona the balance is still there and the general excepted language is English.

Back to Florida the area we speaking to his back up every morning. there is about 750 thousand Car coming to work from broward and Boca, then you have the commuters coming up from Miami.

If you are determined to be here I would recommend WPB or Boca Raton. Please have a job before you come down.
Coral Gables and Hialeah are in the Miami area, not the Fort Lauderdale area, they have their own section called Miami, so posting about that as if it is in Broward is misleading.

Some areas of Pompano may have issues, I have never seen any in most areas and we have friends that live there and we eat with friends up in that area all the time and I have never seen an issue like you described even once.

Most Spanish speakers in the Fort Lauderdale Broward County area speak English or at least try, I will agree that down in parts of Miami, knowing some basic Spanish would probably help a person, most Spanish speakers I have spoken to down there will speak English when they see how bad my Spanish is.

Life is what a person makes it but you really should not mislead people telling them how bad the Broward area is unless it is your goal to chase people away from this area for your own personal enjoyment of a quieter area, then I guess it makes sense.

The east area is booming, with new highrise buildings going up all over and even more planned, unless something happens to collapse the economy again, I feel that there will be a lot of potential in this area in the future. I am staying put, and my wife and I are very happy here, no place is perfect, I have been all over and believe me, there is a lot of far worse places, LA IMHO was much worse when I was there years ago.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:15 PM

389 posts, read 662,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
That is not real and the crowd of want to be crowd the night clubs nightly. Come on let's paint a accurate picture of South Florida.

Do not wonder from the protected areas that the rich claim. You find much of south Florida is run down. The over Latinzation is here and it is no longer cool. Matter of fact most forget what country they are in. Clue This is the United States of America.

I lived in Central Florida Came back due to Family and now I am looking to make jump to Wide Spaces and Blue clear skies!
It's not easy to figure out what you are saying because your grammar and sentence structure are poor (might be wise to master English before trashing Spanish-speakers), but I l believe you are engaging in a personal attack on me (calling me a liar). So I will respond in kind.

The original poster asked where he might be happy and stated his criteria quite clearly. Based on that, I gave what most of the rational people on these boards would consider reasonably accurate answers. Anyone who has been to Las Olas, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea and Galt Ocean Mile would see that each area has its merits. Yes, you have to have a certain level of financial means to live in those areas, but that didn't appear to be a problem for the OP.

I will agree with you that South Florida has many rundown areas. Hellooooo! This is a metro area of almost 6 million people, and the same can be said of ALL U.S. metro areas of that size (and many that are smaller). Having spent a lot of time in your beloved Arizona, I certainly wouldn't says Phoenix and Tucson are 100 percent Shangri-la. Perhaps you would be happier in East St. Louis, Ill., Gary, Ind., or Flint, Mich.? Spend one day in any of those places and you'll feel lucky to still be alive.

As for your perceived "over Latinzation" of the area, you shouldn't presume the OP wants to avoid an area with a large Hispanic population. It wasn't something he said in his post. Maybe the opportunity to experience the Latin culture is something he's looking forward to. In any case, I doubt he'd be considering a move here if he were xenophobic.

Posts like the one I'm responding to are why my retirement from these boards probably will occur sooner rather than later. All too often, simple attempts to provide information bring on responses from trolls and haters that are snarky at best and personal attacks at worst. I'm sick and tired of it.

Last edited by Papillons2; 09-27-2015 at 01:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area