Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 11:33 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times

Advertisements

Like many others, we are trying to figure out where to move to in Florida. We are tired of driving everywhere in bad traffic. So we want close by activities. We discovered Century Village Deerfield Beech and immediately thought it would be the answer to our dreams. They have art clubs, exercise classes, language classes, music clubs, and every other kind of activity that you can think of - right on site. There are 7 pools scattered around the site. Best of all, they have shuttle buses that go every half hour, taking you anywhere you want to go onsite, and every day they go off site to groceries and other places you want to go. All this is free for the general rec. center yearly tariff.

We have taken a look online and I am a bit disturbed about the look of the place - a little like so many army barracks or something. I so want to be able to take advantage of all those activities but don't want to end up in something that doesn't look nice.

So my question: is there ANYWHERE else within shooting distance of a beach which offers comparable services to Century Village? I'm not worried about price but this will be a second home for us so I don't want to go overboard. I hope someone has some ideas. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 01:29 PM

No answers. Does that mean most over 55 communities in Florida have a pool, a smallish rec building, and not much else?

Old 09-17-2015, 01:49 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
No answers. Does that mean most over 55 communities in Florida have a pool, a smallish rec building, and not much else?
Most are already older. Sunrise Lakes Phase 4 has a lot. Century Village Pembroke Pines might be another. Older, Century Village Deerfield or Hollybook.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:51 PM

222 posts, read 382,789 times
It means that the residents of the good ones aren't on C-D. I'd take a look at Kings Point in west Tamarac, and Palm Aire in Pompano.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:35 AM

Thanks, guys. Outwardly most of the ones mentioned look exactly like Century Village Deerfield Beach - 4 story large buildings, with 2 story smaller rectangular buildings dotted around. I see Palm Aire has different sorts of real estate but can't find any mention anywhere of activities provided. I'll dig further.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:01 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Like many others, we are trying to figure out where to move to in Florida. We are tired of driving everywhere in bad traffic. So we want close by activities. We discovered Century Village Deerfield Beech and immediately thought it would be the answer to our dreams. They have art clubs, exercise classes, language classes, music clubs, and every other kind of activity that you can think of - right on site. There are 7 pools scattered around the site. Best of all, they have shuttle buses that go every half hour, taking you anywhere you want to go onsite, and every day they go off site to groceries and other places you want to go. All this is free for the general rec. center yearly tariff.

We have taken a look online and I am a bit disturbed about the look of the place - a little like so many army barracks or something. I so want to be able to take advantage of all those activities but don't want to end up in something that doesn't look nice.

So my question: is there ANYWHERE else within shooting distance of a beach which offers comparable services to Century Village? I'm not worried about price but this will be a second home for us so I don't want to go overboard. I hope someone has some ideas. Thanks.
My father and mother in law live in Kings Point in Tamarac. Kings Point has different style buildings. Some are high rises, some are like townhomes, some are like villas. It also has different sections and each section has its own gatehouse and pool in addition to the big pool and clubhouse. It's not close to the beach though. Kings Point has a trolley that goes around the site as well as to retail shopping centers in Tamarac.

Kings Point has a big clubhouse with shows, clubs, and other activities in addition to the smaller community clubhouses. It is just as large as Century Village but feels smaller because it is broken up into sections.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:04 PM

222 posts, read 382,789 times
What sort of style were you envisioning? Other posters can correct me if I'm wrong, as it's been several years since I was looking at those communities for my mom, but Kings Point is WAY nicer than any of the Century Villages, plus west Tamarac itself is manicured, safe, with decent shopping and library, etc. Palm Aire is also very nicely maintained and much closer to the beach, but the immediate surrounding community varies from meh to downright unsafe.

I don't know of any communities that don't mostly consist of apartment buildings in different permutations - older folks and snowbirds want elevators and minimal maintenance.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:32 AM

Thanks butercup, do your parents ever go to the beach, and how do they get there? Do they drive? See, that's our hangup. I'd like to live somewhere where the shuttle will take you, not just to the Publix or whatever, but to the beach - or at least to a city bus that will take you to the beach. We are quite active but really don't like driving. Deerfield Beach is near the beach, and a city bus comes right in to Century Village (the route that goes down Hillsboro to the beach). Easy pie to get to the beach without driving.

I realize I'm asking for a lot - all those activities, plus tranportation, PLUS great-looking places to live. Is there an economic niche here no one's exploited? Maybe I should write Mr. Trump!

Old 09-19-2015, 01:06 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
There are others in the Boynton Beach area which I just learned about as well. We are looking for the right house. Interestingly enough, the realtor I spoke to said most people are looking for the amenities first and then the house. We don't fit in that category since all I need is a pool that is covered and my husband doesn't require any of the amenities.

Huntington Pointe - Delray Beach, FL
Coral Lakes - Boynton Beach, FL
Vizcaya, Delray Beach , FL

Moderator cut: Real Estate, Real Estate related business', etc, Recommendations are not allowed

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-20-2015 at 08:30 AM..

Old 10-01-2015, 12:22 AM

311 posts, read 451,251 times
Try John Knox Village in Pompano. It is a bit more upscale from Cemetary Village but I don't know about the activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area