Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 05:19 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times

Advertisements

I live in Hollywood and I want to live near all of the good companies, jobs, etc.

Is the job market better in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, or Boca Raton?

I don't speak Spanish but have a degree in accounting.

Do companies to miami pay better than broward?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 08:53 PM

35 posts, read 32,009 times
I would say NO to all your questions. Tampa has a large Ernst & Young office. Try there perhaps?

Old 10-08-2017, 10:08 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I live in Hollywood and I want to live near all of the good companies, jobs, etc.

Is the job market better in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, or Boca Raton?

I don't speak Spanish but have a degree in accounting.

Do companies to miami pay better than broward?
I saw that you posted this question in both forums, and I'll post the same thing I did in the WPB forum.

It depends on your field, but I would say that right now Ft. Lauderdale seems to be expanding a lot regarding jobs and most do not require Spanish speakers.

I get occasional recruitment emails for myself or for referrals of others and a lot of the jobs are in Ft. Lauderdale. I have friends who also recently obtained jobs in Ft. Lauderdale and had no problems finding open positions.

Boca also has a healthy economy and job market without language requirements, but Ft. Lauderdale is a larger city.

If you live in Hollywood, I'd look in Ft. Lauderdale first. Easier commute and commuting to Miami is pretty horrible.

No, Miami jobs do not necessarily pay any better and the COL is pretty high there.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:24 AM

397 posts, read 319,588 times
From what I understand, you can get an accounting or other office job in Miami without being a Spanish speaker, but you'll sort of miss out on a lot of stuff by not speaking Spanish, because most of your co-workers will be speaking it, often without bothering to translate a lot of stuff. Like certain announcements will be made in Spanish and you'll miss out, things like that. So English mono-speakers might feel more comfortable in Fort Lauderdale/Broward or Boca Raton/Palm Beach than Miami-Dade. I would also imagine that there would be more jobs in Miami that require Spanish, whereas it's not really a thing up in Broward or Palm Beach.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando is Alive View Post
I would say NO to all your questions. Tampa has a large Ernst & Young office. Try there perhaps?
Come on, commuting between Hollywood and Tampa is just not realistic. That's a 4-hour commute each way, each day! Did you not see where he said he lived in Hollywood? Did you not see where he said SOUTH Florida?

Old 10-10-2017, 06:29 AM

835 posts, read 476,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rose View Post
Come on, commuting between Hollywood and Tampa is just not realistic. That's a 4-hour commute each way, each day! Did you not see where he said he lived in Hollywood? Did you not see where he said SOUTH Florida?
Actually many people commute by air FLL-TPA every day. And MIA-TPA. And PBI-TPA.

Silver sells passes that are good for a month of flights

Old 10-12-2017, 08:19 AM

1,049 posts, read 960,907 times
I would stay in Hollywood, it's a good location and a lot of good accounting jobs are very close by, plus the commute to Miami or FLL from Hollywood isn't that bad. I work an accounting job in Hollywood, I commute from Fort Lauderdale and it's a breeze, takes 15 minutes both ways. I used to live in Aventura commuting to the same job and it was also a pretty easy commute.

Regarding the job market; both areas have a lot of opportunities in accounting, I get a lot of inquries from recruiters and most of the opportunities are in Miami but I get several in Fort Lauderdale as well. Pay isn't going to vary all that much between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami, though Palm Beach it will be higher, cost of living in Miami will be higher versus Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:16 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando is Alive View Post
I agree. The I-4 corridor is very popular and pragmatic for recent college graduates and the "Yuppie" lifestyle. South FL is very expensive. The job market is good for information technology but the traffic and rent may be too excessive. The I-4 corridor (Tampa to Orlando) is a lot better for the yuppies. For example, the I-4 corridor is very popular for business graduates of FSU and Florida when they want to leave the undergraduate scene and start a career with a community of young alumni.

South FL is also heavily Latin American with Spanish as a dominant language. To be fair, there are opportunities - but probably better for more experienced workers (> 5 years) than for a newcomer.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Actually many people commute by air FLL-TPA every day. And MIA-TPA. And PBI-TPA.

Silver sells passes that are good for a month of flights
Okay, but I can't imagine that would be affordable for most people. Or practical really. And even if the flight time is shorter than the driving time, I bet it all adds up to being a long commute anyway. I basically stand behind my first post.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:05 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
I'm never moving to Tampa. South Florida or somewhere with culture and history for me.

So I guess fort Lauderdale is the winner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area