Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 10,567 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a unit in the Nu River landing, Ft Lauderdale zip 33301...I'll appreciate any inputs (safe place/surroundings etc)
Thanks!
Kuddos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 02:46 PM

50 posts, read 195,884 times
the surrounding is downtown fort lauderdale..broward county jail is walking distance...yeah the building is nice and all but the surrounding area is not a place i'd live. but hey thats south fl..ghetto areas with high class living all mixed in here and there. im guessing you've never driven around there? hell you have to get off i95 and drive by some of the crappiest section 8/project housing just to get to the nu river area.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:56 PM

423 posts, read 1,646,080 times
Beautiful building, very upscale... right next to downtown, so lots restaurants, cafe, arts, shopping within walking distance... great lifestyle. They have a lot of foreclosures out there so you should be able to find a great bargain!

Old 05-05-2009, 04:00 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,492,312 times
Yeah rkumar3 is right. Don't listen to the 2nd poster (no disrespect to them, they just are wrong). Nu River is a beautiful building. I have a friend who currently rents a one bedroom unit there and its awsome. The building consists mostly of younger professional types in their 20's and 30's. The surrounding area around the immediate building is very safe and is monitored by police and security. It is private property so bums aren't allowed on the property. There are several other luxury buildings surrounding Nu River such as Las Olas by the River, etc. Nu River is right on the river and there is a bridge that you can walk across via a flight of stairs to cross into downtown. The downtown area is very safe and lively during most nights especially weekends. You can walk to a lot of entertainment in downtown and to Las Olas where there are lots of artsy shops, restaurants, cafes, and bars. Now, if you walk to the south of the building it does start getting a little sketchy for a few blocks since a lot of bums hang out in those parts, but you won't be walking south much anyways because everything is to the north across the river.

Also, the 2nd poster mentioned that when you get off 95 you have to drive through sketchy section 8 projects. Well that's a harsh wrap. You do have to drive through about a 5-block stretch where the neighborhood is seedy and there are bums hanging on the street, but its really not dangerous to drive through. The Fort Lauderdale PD is located right there in that "section 8" area so you won't have a problem. Every young person and night-clubber gets off at that exit and drives through that stretch to get to downtown every fri and sat night and i've never heard of anyone having a problem. Also, most businessmen who commute to downtown each day for work take that exit. Now, the real section 8 hood is when you get off of 95 at Sunrise or Oakland Park. Those areas are far worse than the Broward Blvd exit.

The 2nd poster is correct that the Broward County Jail is located near Nu River. That I assume is because the courthouse is located there as well. Makes sense proximity wise. The jail is located right on the river in prime real estate, and its a nice looking jail, lol. I think they probably built the jail before all of the highrise condos, so at the time it made sense. Looking back though, that land could have been better utilized for another highrise condo building like Nu River.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:09 AM

2 posts, read 10,567 times
I've been different times into the Las Olas area (restaurants/art centers) and it's just so vibrant and close to the beach (without being there) that we decided to look for units...I appreciate your comments!!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:51 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,852,236 times
Funny name, I wonder who came up with it. Makes me wonder if this is a nudist building

Old 05-12-2009, 09:50 PM

268 posts, read 901,611 times
I also know the area.... from my research Riverwalk was like South beach just 3 or 4 years back. In 2000 Riverwalk was huge, but now it's pathetic. Only one restaurant open during the week and if you walk around there, it's a dead feeling. Dan Marino's closed and Landlords jacked up rent then the Crises happened then the collapse... now Riverwalk seems empty Mon-Thurs. If I am not mistaken Nu River Condo is directly across from waterGarden Condo, and I almosty bought a 2/2 in WG but the owner would not budge. I spent 1 week there investigatiing if I could live there, and I can, but there are negatives and positives. I'm still looking at WG. Just haven't made up my mind yet. WG and The Grand Condos are very nice but the people there are uptight, New Yorkers with attitudes. Some old Jewish lady called the Police on me just for walking around at night checking out the area.

Oh, I saw Nu River... Don't like it. Inside the hallways it looks old. I would not live there. WG across the river much better, but u pay for that too!

I'm in Brickell now, and after being here 3 weeks, traffic and people here are not what I expected.

Anyone know about WaterGarden Condo?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area