Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:22 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times

Advertisements

I dont know good food b/c I'm a FL native and havent lived in NYC to know what good food really is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 02:33 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Anthony's Coal Fire? Wow, I'm in the crowd that thinks the crust tastes burnt, but I get why people like it - my kids do so we're there a lot - but I dont think it resembles NY pizza at all. NYC pizza is bready, thick and greasy and Anthony's is crispy, thin and not at all greasy.

Sounds like the pizza I had in Nice. Which is close enough to Italy

Old 04-23-2010, 04:21 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,768,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr2 View Post
If you recommend Cheesecake Factory to a traveller looking to try local food - you CLEARLY don't know good food. Places like Cheesecake Factory have their menu's designed to appeal as decent food to the most people. Their food is simply butter, cream, and loaded with salt. But I'm not totally knocking it, I just ate their yesterday - it has it's purpose, but I would NEVER visit a chain restaurant when visiting a new place.

As for NY/New Haven pizza - I saw those 2 places on TV not long ago, looked decent. I was in Manhattan a few months ago and tried pizza at many locations (maybe 10 different places) - and I would say most of them were flat out bad with a couple decent ones. Nothing special at all.

I actually enjoyed Benny Tudino's in Hoboken to any NY pizza. But I would absolutely say that Anthony's down here makes a better NY style pie than anywhere else I've tried. There is a reason why Anthony's is growing fast.
You must have eaten at all the wrong spots - can you tell me where you went. In my neighborhood alone there are about 15 pizza places and of the 15 12 are really good - rizzos being my favorite!

Old 04-24-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
You must have eaten at all the wrong spots - can you tell me where you went. In my neighborhood alone there are about 15 pizza places and of the 15 12 are really good - rizzos being my favorite!

He (she?) probably went to the Famous Ray III

Although that's not bad at all.

Worst pizza I had in NYC was on the corner of 6th and.... can't remember the street now, 40-something. I think it was Pronto pizza.

Last edited by ruski; 04-24-2010 at 01:06 PM..

Old 04-24-2010, 05:00 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,053,741 times
YEs Fauve....Anthony's cannot be compared to NYC style at all. I also don't like the burnt style and charcoal pits they use. Charcoal is for BBQ, not pizza. Lol The best pizza down here that I have tasted so far is Antonio's in Miramar.....not in a great area of Miramar either, but they have gotten many awards from local publications as being some of the the best NYC style South Florida has to offer.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:37 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
YEs Fauve....Anthony's cannot be compared to NYC style at all. I also don't like the burnt style and charcoal pits they use. Charcoal is for BBQ, not pizza. Lol The best pizza down here that I have tasted so far is Antonio's in Miramar.....not in a great area of Miramar either, but they have gotten many awards from local publications as being some of the the best NYC style South Florida has to offer.
Antonios is almost certainly the best in the Miramar/Pines area (which is a pizza dead zone), but I have found better in South Florida. I also wouldn't consider that neighborhood to be anything bad enough to be noteworthy, but that's another thread, and it's also worth nothing that they are opening a new restaurant by Town Center in a "better neighborhood".

If one is looking for basic NY-style, there are several places in Hollywood that make good pizza, including Mauro's downtown, and Rocco's and Fioro's on the beach (questionable cleanliness though). In Plantation, there is a place called Stromboli Pizza that is good, and the cleanliness is not questionable at all. Times Square Pizza in Ft. Lauderdale also makes a pretty authentic NY slice. Riverfront Pizza can also be good on a good day, although it has it's off days. Pizza Time in SUNRISE is excellent and might be the best I found down here, but I can't speak for the one in Coral Springs. In Weston, Domenick's Pizza is pretty good, as is Pizza Heaven.

I'm not a big fan of Anthony's Coal Fired, and that's not because of it's well done nature (you will see this done right in NYC), but because the crust really doesn't have the snap that it should for a coal oven. For well-done pizza, it gets pretty soggy. Their pizza reminds me of Grimaldis in Brooklyn, which is to say overrated and disappointing.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:10 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
For decent Italian pizza, but mostly dishes - try Umbertos on University off Sheridan.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
For decent Italian pizza, but mostly dishes - try Umbertos on University off Sheridan.
I used to like the one in Pompano BEFORE they moved across A1A (not so much the new location). I never tried this location. That might be a good alternative to Antonio's on that side of town if it's as good as the one in Pompano used to be.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Antonios is almost certainly the best in the Miramar/Pines area (which is a pizza dead zone), but I have found better in South Florida. I also wouldn't consider that neighborhood to be anything bad enough to be noteworthy, but that's another thread, and it's also worth nothing that they are opening a new restaurant by Town Center in a "better neighborhood".

If one is looking for basic NY-style, there are several places in Hollywood that make good pizza, including Mauro's downtown, and Rocco's and Fioro's on the beach (questionable cleanliness though). In Plantation, there is a place called Stromboli Pizza that is good, and the cleanliness is not questionable at all. Times Square Pizza in Ft. Lauderdale also makes a pretty authentic NY slice. Riverfront Pizza can also be good on a good day, although it has it's off days. Pizza Time in SUNRISE is excellent and might be the best I found down here, but I can't speak for the one in Coral Springs. In Weston, Domenick's Pizza is pretty good, as is Pizza Heaven.

I'm not a big fan of Anthony's Coal Fired, and that's not because of it's well done nature (you will see this done right in NYC), but because the crust really doesn't have the snap that it should for a coal oven. For well-done pizza, it gets pretty soggy. Their pizza reminds me of Grimaldis in Brooklyn, which is to say overrated and disappointing.

OMG OMG OMG how did I forget about Pizza Heaven? That's a nice pizza!

Old 04-24-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
OMG OMG OMG how did I forget about Pizza Heaven? That's a nice pizza!
They do offer a very nice cheese pie and I like to get the mini margeretia as well. Unlike Domenicks, I also don't feel like I got robbed every time I walk out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area