Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2010, 01:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,500 times

Advertisements

I need help for christmas. my husband left me and my 3 children a few weeks ago. we contacted the salvation army and was told in order to get help for christmas we needed to apply in october. how was I suppose to know in october my husband was going to leave. its shameful that all of these charities get extra money and donations during the holidays but when you ask for help they turn you away.
I fired off a letter to the editor of my local newspaper.
its sad because we dont even have a xmas tree.
I went to child support enforcement and was told it could take up to 6 months to get money from my husband.
my daughter gave me a christmas list and after she went to sleep I cried knowing I cannot buy even one thing on her list. please if anyone knows of any organization that can help me provide a christmas for my kids. please Moderator cut: please DM
I am not asking for anything for myself, only that my kids get to have a christmas, and not be punished for something their stupid father did by leaving because he is going through some midlife crisis.

Last edited by fauve; 12-17-2010 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 07:40 AM

629 posts, read 1,721,560 times
The first obligation is food/housing/utilities. The kids will survive a Christmas without presents but losing the home or going without food will be far worse. Can you pick up some extra work in the next week? Many stores hire temporary help for the holiday rush so I would think you could come up with a couple hundred bucks extra that way.

When I was in the S. Florida area I know CBS4 had a 'Neighbors for Neighbors' program that matched families needing Christmas toys with givers. I don't know if they can do it on such short notice but it's something to check into. Try not to be so upset with the charities either, when they're dealing with thousands of volunteers and thousands of families they have to attempt a little bit of pre-planning in order to get everything done. Your husband is the one who should be ashamed, not the charities.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,631 times
Red face Xmas help!?!

I'm not sure where you are at or the ages of the children but try....
2hands.org
freecycle.org
if i remember any others I will try to post them.
I wish I could be more help but, single mom myself.
You can contact me if you wish. jj8173 with aol
Will help as much as I can.
I have a 5 yr old boy... If you can use stuff that he doesnt use or play with anymore?

Old 11-07-2013, 10:26 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Call your local church. They can help you or send you in the right direction. Also, is Toys For Tots here?

Home Page

Old 11-08-2013, 05:59 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
Note OP is 3 years old. But always nice at this time of year in case anyone out there needs help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area