Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,908 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

We've been browsing around this forum for some time now and we are trying to find some info about renting an apartment in Fort Lauderdale.
Our question is, is it always needed a credit check to rent an apartment?
If so, since we are Canadians, are they going to be able to check our good credit record from Canada?
How is the rental process? What documents, deposits or any other request they might have? We are looking more to the Pembroke Pines, Davie, Plantation area.
Thank you very much for any help. Really appreciate your assistance.
Thnx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:14 AM

392 posts, read 1,261,657 times
My suggestion is to search for Apt. Rental in the cities you mention and call the rental offices for each and ask

Old 05-29-2010, 03:42 PM

96 posts, read 344,726 times
Cragislist is the way to go. There are many desperate homeowners and investors that will rent you a place in my opinion. These are individuals so I doubt they will go through the trouble of running a formal check on your credit.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:04 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,712,467 times
The above is a very risky suggestion. I would take SA75's advice.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:51 AM

68 posts, read 296,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivcceo View Post
Cragislist is the way to go. There are many desperate homeowners and investors that will rent you a place in my opinion. These are individuals so I doubt they will go through the trouble of running a formal check on your credit.
Caveat emptor. Many of those listings are in foreclosure, and you could be put out at any time no matter if your rent is paid.

Contact a realtor. They will run any checks needed, and also ensure the property (if you go with a private owner) is not in foreclosure.

Most property owners are more than happy to get Canadian tenants.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:32 PM

14 posts, read 37,540 times
Hello!!!

I won't trust Craig's list for rentals if I were you ... not after a rape and murdered that occured thru that site...Best bet is to google rentals in the areas you're interested in.

My husband works in Pembroke Pines, but I won't live there...for me it's a little bit of a drive to Fort Lauderdale, and I love driving there. Love the beach, Galleria Mall and the restaurants, also love
Mizner Park in Boca Raton.

I use to live in Plantation...rented at a place call Camden (Plantation) ... ver nice place!
Camden Property Search
I strongly suggest you call them and find out regarding the credit check, perhaps they can work something out with you.

Best of Luck! You will enjoy the sunny weather, trust me...I will sure miss it.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:36 PM

14 posts, read 37,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullan03 View Post
Hello!!!

I won't trust Craig's list for rentals if I were you ... not after a rape and murdered that occured thru that site...Best bet is to google rentals in the areas you're interested in.

My husband works in Pembroke Pines, but I won't live there...for me it's a little bit of a drive to Fort Lauderdale, and I love driving there. Love the beach, Galleria Mall and the restaurants, also love
Mizner Park in Boca Raton.

I use to live in Plantation...rented at a place call Camden (Plantation) ... ver nice place!
Camden Property Search
I strongly suggest you call them and find out regarding the credit check, perhaps they can work something out with you.

Best of Luck! You will enjoy the sunny weather, trust me...I will sure miss it.
PS: Check out Plum Harbor and Plum Bay, it's a community not too far from Sawgrass Outlet Mall, at times they have the townhomes for rent...you may find a good deal there too...and it's safe! It's more out West vs. Fort Lauderdale beach which is East but the drive is one shot ... less than 1/2hr.

Also, be careful with living in Fort Lauderdale, some of the surrounding areas aren't pretty...stay away from 6trunk!

Old 06-11-2010, 09:00 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivcceo View Post
I would be very careful about renting in FL from an individual right now. Lots of people are losing their security deposits that way. The landlords are letting the homes go into foreclosure, spending the tenants security deposit and then declaring bankruptcy. Anyone who rents from an individual should ensure that their security deposit is placed in an escrow account.

BTW-plenty of individuals will run credit checks. We always did when we were landlords (in CT).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area