Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:59 PM

304 posts, read 745,546 times

Advertisements

I am seeking to network amongst you all whom I have not yet offended with my politcal views, , in order to meet someone who may have need of a an assistant to their real estate business. Yes, I plan on taking the 65 hr course and obtaining my license, I am getting a head start though on reaching out to the community. I have a very good educational background which enables me to write, speak and communicate with others in the way one should when interacting with clients and peers in business. I am seeking this work because I want to get to know the real estate industry and learn. I am not ready in many ways to embark upon my own career as an agent. I have to offer a quick mind, a "sure no problem" attitude, a good brain and a desire to learn which translates to a desire to do as much as I can. I am good with a digital camera, with the computer, talking and making others feel comfortable, following up, calling, answering, organizing, managing, writing. My goal would be to make an agent or broker feel like some weight has been lifted, like they can delegate a task and not have to worry about it again, like they have some part of their time freed up. If anyone cares to know more or knows of someone in real estate who needs an assistant, here I am! I am a college grad, for what thats worth any more. Thanks for reading my post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 04:11 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
Keep in mind that, although you do not need a R.E. license to answer phones, most brokers require a license even to be a greeter at an Open House. The reason is because of all the gray areas. For example, you can hand someone a brochure about the house, but what if the prospect asks about the price, square footage, etc? By law if you are an unlicensed assistant, you can't discuss anything except to point out what is in print.

I wish you a lot of luck in your search. However, are you looking for a salary? There are many licensed agents who are willing to assist seasoned professionals just to get a foot in the door. If I were a Realtor, I'd be very nervous about asking an unlicensed person to help me with my business, unless I just needed someone to answer the phones, take messages or type letters. Some busy agents have associates and the ones I know all have licenses so they can legally run out and show a home or cover for the Realtor when he/she isn't available.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:19 PM

72 posts, read 187,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeyourthoughts View Post
I am seeking to network amongst you all whom I have not yet offended with my politcal views, , in order to meet someone who may have need of a an assistant to their real estate business. Yes, I plan on taking the 65 hr course and obtaining my license, I am getting a head start though on reaching out to the community. I have a very good educational background which enables me to write, speak and communicate with others in the way one should when interacting with clients and peers in business. I am seeking this work because I want to get to know the real estate industry and learn. I am not ready in many ways to embark upon my own career as an agent. I have to offer a quick mind, a "sure no problem" attitude, a good brain and a desire to learn which translates to a desire to do as much as I can. I am good with a digital camera, with the computer, talking and making others feel comfortable, following up, calling, answering, organizing, managing, writing. My goal would be to make an agent or broker feel like some weight has been lifted, like they can delegate a task and not have to worry about it again, like they have some part of their time freed up. If anyone cares to know more or knows of someone in real estate who needs an assistant, here I am! I am a college grad, for what thats worth any more. Thanks for reading my post!
This is more like reading a resume LOL Good Luck!!

Old 07-28-2010, 05:40 PM

just Nancy:

Yes, you make excellent points. I know I need to obtain the license. At this point I would be happy to "just" assist at the level of answering phones, taking photos of properties and other such duties until I get the license. And I would be happy doing that hourly as needed. I thank you for your comments though as they did add to my perception of what I need to do.

ladygrace - It's supposed to! I am selling myself! LOL

Old 07-28-2010, 10:27 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
What you will probably want to do is seek out brokers, not agents. They are the ones that run and own the agency and if anyone needs help, it would probably be them.

Most agents have cellphones and answer their own calls. Because they belong to an agency, if they cannot show a house due to schedule/vacation or need someone to run their open house they check with their broker, who usually finds another agent within that brokerage to help out.

And those cellphones are directly tied into our e-mail, websites and MLS. I have a laptop and wireless connection wherever I go. Paperwork is now online. Rather than sitting at a table, I can make an offer on the side of the road, if I want. Due to technology, I am in the office about once a month.

I work for a very small agency so we do not even have a receptionist. But many agencies are getting away from bricks and mortar because most clients are now found on the internet.

However, in my class there was a broker's assistant who had worked for him for several years and was just now getting her license so they do exist for the very large agencies. I would start looking there.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:39 AM

hiknapster:

thank you, I will focus on brokers then, and you have a good point about technology, seems it sometimes puts more and more people out of work, but thats just the negative side of it. Thanks for your comments!

Old 07-29-2010, 01:58 PM

325 posts, read 1,020,777 times
Default Teams

There is also the Team concept. I just spoke to a realtor who heads up a team of 14 in Fort Myers.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:53 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
There is also the Team concept. I just spoke to a realtor who heads up a team of 14 in Fort Myers.
At the end of the day, it is still just an agency run by a broker or brokers with agents and sometimes a receptionist and assistants, etc. Everyone fills in for one another, some places have floor time, some don't, but team concept is the same as anywhere else. The agents, in the end, work for themselves.

Changeyourthoughts, I wish you the best of luck and let us know how you do. Pounding the pavement and knocking on doors, you are probably going to come away with some insight on what is going on in real estate in the area. Your "thoughts" - pun intended - will be valuable.

And how's the search coming Pinda? Are you still looking in Estero?

Old 07-31-2010, 06:35 PM

True true, I will share my thoughts, thank you hiknapster.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:14 AM

325 posts, read 1,020,777 times
Default I still really like Estero and we are concentrating on that area

Thanks for asking.

We are looking into other areas too. People are telling my husband to look into Cape Coral. Many people he works with live there but it is quite the drive to the airport. A lender suggested River Hall and Verandah. He looked up there but felt it was expensive and a long drive. He really likes the 15 minutes to the airport from Estero.

It just seems like Estero is the right fit for us but I have been back home in Wisconsin working on the sale of our home so I haven't had another chance to get down there since July 4th when I returned home.

I actually wish there were more Active Adult 55+ communities in Estero area.

Do you know anything about the Colonial and Treeline area of Fort Myers, where Pelican Preserves is. That is my favorite community but I don't know what the area is like. It seems to border Leheigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area