Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 03:28 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post

can anyone answer this question- do 100% commission sales contract jobs require a green card in the US?
Of course! Nobody can move to and work in the U.S. or most countries legally without going through the proper authorities whether you are hourly, monthly or on commission. However, you might want to look into getting a TN Visa since you are a Canadian citizen. The process isn't supposed to be too long and difficult, but I can't honestly tell you.

Edit: I was going to delete this comment, but instead I'll just advise you to ask someone on a forum about Canadians moving to the U.S. There must be plenty of people who can share personal experiences. Anyway, since so many jobs have been outsourced, it might be better to move to Paseo's new gated community in India. Then you can still post photos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 07:31 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I seriously looked into moving to Canada a couple of years ago. Even though I had so many family members living in Ontario, some Canadian citizens and some of dual citizenship, I thought it wouldn't be that difficult. Heck, my dad even graduated from high school, or whatever they call it up there, after living there for about 10 years. My grandmother was a Canadian citizen and so are many aunts and uncles. Still, it looked like it wasn't going to be possible.

But I may not have looked into it enough. I think there is something like a lottery regarding citizens applying to live in the US.

We do have a forum on here that might be a big help to you, Rands.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/legal-immigration/

Old 11-13-2010, 01:08 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,284,816 times
yes, for immigrating to Canada a skilled and educated American with ties to the country must stand in line with everyone else on an equal basis, a system established by the Liberal government, which can't be changed by our Conservative government due to being a minority in Parliament - deadlock.

thanks for the link!

Old 11-13-2010, 02:30 PM

Is there a line to even stand in? I know that Toronto was always immigrant-laden. I wonder if it is just the US citizens that they don't want?

Old 11-13-2010, 09:11 PM

35 posts, read 120,294 times
Default No Way!!!!!!

Man what the heck are you thinking. No doubt Vegas is a dump, economy and jobs are in the toilet, but moving to SW Florida, is a big mistake, escpecially here. This place is on the brink of urban devastation, empty homes everywhere, vacant commercial space, crime is up, and crazy politicians cutting public safety and schools.
As far as jobs.....Good luck buddy, there are none unless working at McDonalds is a good job for you. Dont do it, you will regret it.....

Old 11-14-2010, 07:17 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,284,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Is there a line to even stand in? I know that Toronto was always immigrant-laden. I wonder if it is just the US citizens that they don't want?
I believe Canada is one of the most welcoming of countries of the world immigration-wise, but its policies are relatively idealistic and naive, IMO, and no consideration is given to similarity of culture

for NAFTA, I believe Americans can use a job offer to get a TN visa at the border, if you have a university degree, but generally there are shortages in the trades...but I am not sure how a mechanic for example would get documents.

Alberta oil country and the north are the lands of opportunity now, but housing is expensive and tough.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroeran View Post
I believe Canada is one of the most welcoming of countries of the world immigration-wise, but its policies are relatively idealistic and naive, IMO, and no consideration is given to similarity of culture

for NAFTA, I believe Americans can use a job offer to get a TN visa at the border, if you have a university degree, but generally there are shortages in the trades...but I am not sure how a mechanic for example would get documents.

Alberta oil country and the north are the lands of opportunity now, but housing is expensive and tough.
I found this. Immigrating to Canada: Skilled workers and professionals Looks like it is a lot easier to get in now than back when Palin was running for office. They had that US border locked up tight.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that even I became a victim of vacation-paradise-syndrome. I went to visit family in March in Cape Coral and started making plans to move back. Me. Who hates the place. Hated it so much I had clumps of hair falling out.

But in my case, it might be that I was just missing family. Family that often drove me crazy and may have contributed to the hair loss and various other psychological symptoms that have since straightened out.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:19 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,350,841 times
Fort Myers ?
You will have to make up your own mind and check it out.
You can not get reliable information on this website, most of the people that post here on the threads don't even live here. Lot's of hot air here, and we are not talking about the weather.
Check it out if it's right for you you'll know.
The biggest problem that SWFL has is the transient population, all those people that only live here part time, the larger that segment of the population the more problems it causes, that's the way it is. But there are a lot of nice folks here, they live here permantetly and have a real interest in the community. It will get better in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area