Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:08 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,566,150 times

Advertisements

I have noticed all of the gas stations here in Florida do not have the lever on the handles so it can pump by itself. You have to stand there and hold it the whole time.

Why is that? Is it a state law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 01:31 PM

1,555 posts, read 4,157,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagylyn View Post
I have noticed all of the gas stations here in Florida do not have the lever on the handles so it can pump by itself. You have to stand there and hold it the whole time.

Why is that? Is it a state law?
All the pumps I just used last week in Southeast Florida had the levers on them that enabled you to do something else while pumping. Maybe it's just the particular stations you're going to, or the levers aren't on pumps in particular counties?

Old 11-18-2008, 02:40 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,749,976 times
Most do not have the lever, but some do. The circle K near my home has the lever on the Diesel pump, but not on the gasoline nozzles. The Murphy at the Wal mart in the Cape has them on both gas and Diesel...Like many things, I'm sure there's a reason, but it escapes me....Come to think of it, I never really gave it much thought.....
I guess lack of the locking lever could be an annoyance to those that would like both hands free, so they could light up a smoke, or use the cell phone while they're pumping

Old 11-18-2008, 06:22 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,922,340 times
it may have to do with insurance rates.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:44 PM

331 posts, read 1,547,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
I guess lack of the locking lever could be an annoyance to those that would like both hands free, so they could light up a smoke, or use the cell phone while they're pumping
... or attach a skimming device to a credit card reader... or go ask the cashier to hand over the contents of the register while the get-away car is getting fueled... it's SWFL after all. Who knows Maybe it's really set up this way to keep potential troublemakers occupied. Through all my travels between Bradenton and Naples never pumped at a place that had a lever. On the contrary, all the places between Aventura and Vero Beach had one, go figure

Old 11-18-2008, 06:51 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,922,340 times
7-11 had the lever thing on corkscrew rd

Old 11-19-2008, 06:01 AM

25 posts, read 71,830 times
i used to put the gas cap in the handle to keep it pumping. now the cap has a cable on it so i carry a piece on velcro for that use. even have it in my jeep now and i'm in ga where all the pumps have the levers. but soon i'll be back in fl.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,869 times
Default Every gas station has a clip...If you bring your own

Thegaswidget.com has a simple device that you keep on your keychain, that replaces any removed, or broken gas clip

Old 04-13-2012, 04:28 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,109,241 times
There are PLENTY of stations that have this doda on their pumps....shop around...you'll find them.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:41 AM

397 posts, read 816,173 times
I find it very annoying to have to stand there and hold that handle while I pump $100.00 worth of gas. I could be cleaning my windshield.

However...........there is one safety feature about holding the handle........you won't get a static discharge which could light the gas fumes.
There are numerous things you should never do while pumping gas.............no cell phone ( I think the only danger is when it rings)..........do not get into and out of your car, this is where you build up static.
there is a few more but I can't remember what they are. Of course, if you are suicidal, light up a smoke

I was from New Jersey. We never pumped our own gas. Only one other state does that I think Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area