Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:28 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart1947 View Post
Just an update on our progress.
We have bought a home and go to settlement in a couple weeks. We bought a home in Port Charlotte. We looked and looked in CC but couldn't find what we wanted at the right price,[ and be able to park a boat in the yard.]
In looking, the areas we liked the most were, North Port & Gulf Cove. We just didn't find what we were looking for in those areas.

One thing I did learn............if you are bidding on foreclosures..........you better have cash and bid higher than the asking price. WE are doing the FHA thing and without the bank telling us (of course) they just blow off bidders who are financing, regardless of your bid. They will take a lower cash offer. This is not written in stone,but, it is the only reason I can figure that we didn't win a bid.
( I could be wrong about this.......I was wrong about something 20 years ago....LOL)
Congrats! I'm dying to know. What were you wrong about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 10:33 AM

397 posts, read 813,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Congrats! I'm dying to know. What were you wrong about?
I'm sorry, it was 40 years ago.

I GOT MARRIED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, I fixed that mistake 12 years ago........................LOL

Old 07-26-2011, 11:12 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
wonderful thread ! Congratulations on your move and finding a home you, hopefully, will love.

As a native, it makes me feel good to see people that like Florida and are willing to take the good with the bad.

My brother and his family lived in Cape Coral, had one of the first houses built. Two of his children have bought new homes there, having owned older homes in other areas of CC. Someone mentioned lack of trees. I agree. That is something I didn't like.

Anyway, my brother is gone now and I will probably get down less to see the nieces and nephews but, I do like the area. I like Punta Gorda, I guess because it reminds me of old Florida.

Enjoy and be happy !

Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I like Punta Gorda, I guess because it reminds me of old Florida.
I love Old Florida.
I came across some awesome pics that you might like. I'm crazy for them.

Wonderful scenic, probably Charlotte Harbor area. | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/electrospark/3655605339/in/pool-55224266@N00/ - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart1947 View Post
I'm sorry, it was 40 years ago.

I GOT MARRIED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, I fixed that mistake 12 years ago........................LOL
Being a serial bride I thought that your statement might have something to do with marriage.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:16 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
I love Old Florida.
Wonderful scenic, probably Charlotte Harbor area. | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/electrospark/3655605339/in/pool-55224266@N00/ - broken link)

Why, oh why, did you link me to that site......! I have to work .. LOL. How wonderful, those old scenes, they make me nostalgic. I remember so many of the places and everything has changed so much. The one thing that stayed the pretty much the same has been Bok Tower.

So many of the pictures I wish I could have put on my desktop so that I could look at them more. <s>

Re: Nostalgia....I was reading on a site recently, I don't know how I got there (the power of the internet), old and new obituaries from the Fort Myers area. They really could tell a tale on the old ones. Sometimes you ended up knowing more about what happened than you really wanted to know...LOL. One I thought especially poignant was about Queenie ?. (Around 1920's) She was the cook for many years at the Edison home. After he died, the widow remarried and Queenie remained with her. Anyway, she took ill (Queenie) up north, suddenly, and she wanted to go "home" to Fort Myers to die. Against doctors orders, she boarded the train and many apparantly rich, white people helped her get back after a 2 day train trip. She passed away very shortly afterwards, among family and friends...... the obituary was sad, sweet and a peek into another time, right or wrong.

Thx, again and I am so happy for all the new, contented residents. Have fun and fishing sounds good. My brother would take his children when they were young and go out cast netting. He was the only person I ever knew that could fry fresh mullet to where it was really good.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I love Old Florida.

Being a serial bride I thought that your statement might have something to do with marriage.

By a "serial" bride, does that mean you have been married numerous times ??????

I'm only kidding about the marriage thing. It took me and my wife 29 years to figure out we didn't like each other very much...................LOL
I just wouldn't do it again. I have been with my girlfriend for 12 years just living in sin and we get along great...............

Old 07-27-2011, 10:09 AM

To hiknapster.........thanks for posting the link for the florida photos.( brought back a lot of memories of trips to Fla with my mom and dad 50 years ago.

BUT...........how many pics are there ???????? I was on the link 1 1/2 hours last night and finally got tired of sitting at my computer. I wish I knew how many more pics there are in the slide show. It was great though !!!!!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:13 PM

Actually, I don't know! The pics are from a forum member that posted that link up in the Tampa forum. I'm crazy for anything mid-century and before, and Florida had it in spades because that was a huge growth period. The area was also a big vacation spot pre-Disney.

I fondly remember the Weeki Wachee mermaids and Cypress Gardens. My great aunt and uncle were snowbirds in the 60s and 70s.

Yes, I am a reformed serial bride. I kind of lost count.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:39 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,265,595 times
ROTFLMBO, hik! Don't give up, girl! I like that about you.

OF, I'm so happy to hear you found your home. May you and your lady friend enjoy many happy years of "sinful living".

Old 07-31-2011, 08:40 AM

7 posts, read 8,986 times
In Jan 2011 decided to move to Florida from the DC Area. Spent the next three months search in the internet for houses in southern Florida. On April 1, 2011, only with information for many many resources on the internet, put a contract on a home in Port Charlotte. Closed on the house on May 6, 2011. made the move on June 20, 2011 (which completion of move is still in progress). And due to the price difference of homes in Northern VA and in Port Charlotte, began making it "our Place". The video below is the Landscaping Transition. This is becoming our very own piece of paradise.

&#x202a;Home Landscaping&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube

Other videos having to do wth our exprience her are located in my You Tube Videos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area